Noodles In Gravy

Super Hans

I sometimes have noodles in gravy. Every time I do, I get bloated/bad guts, so I'm wondering whether it's something in the thick, gloopy gravy that doesn't agree with me. It may be coincidence, but seem to happen everytime.

So, does any one know what's in the gravy?

Edited by Super Hans

I sometimes have noodles in gravy. Every time I do, I get bloated/bad guts, so I'm wondering whether it's something in the thick, gloopy gravy that doesn't agree with me. It may be coincidence, but seem to happen everytime.

So, does any one know what's in the gravy?

Im not sure but wouldn’t the hole mix just be out of taste? Its cool thou. I want to try it. I like the Korean black bean noodle they sell at Lotus now. Maybe it will be better for you. I recommend it..

So what do you eat with rice?? Ketchup?

As far as I know, the "gravy" in ราดหน้า (rahd-nah) is basically pork stock mixed with flour/starch, seasoned with various soy sauces, oyster sauce, sugar, and "tao-jiew" (soy bean paste). Other ingredients in the dish include marinated pork, kha-na (chinese kale), garlic, and noodles.

Perhaps your stomach's not used to the high quantity of whatever starchy stuff they put in it.

post-16001-1216303846_thumb.jpg

Siamese kitty is right on with the raadhna (laadhna) ingredients. The biggest other difference you'll find is that the pork stock ones are made the day ahead or earlier in the day in a big pot/vat. Those ones they call 'hmu mahk,' equivalent to marinated pork, as the meat sits in the juice all day. Cooked of course. The made to order ones use mainly a hodge-podge of bottled sauces, and some stock if they have it available. Plenty of places just fake the stock with combos of bean sauce, soy sauce, sugar, msg, and cornstarch. Both actually contain copious amts of corn starch (and I think sometimes tapioca flour) to thicken it; and that might be what gives your stomach a hard time. As for me, I love me some raadhnaa, especially on a cooler night (I live in Chiang Mai), ar after I've got a good couple drinks in me and need something to pad the stomach.

Siamese kitty is right on with the raadhna (laadhna) ingredients. The biggest other difference you'll find is that the pork stock ones are made the day ahead or earlier in the day in a big pot/vat. Those ones they call 'hmu mahk,' equivalent to marinated pork, as the meat sits in the juice all day. Cooked of course. The made to order ones use mainly a hodge-podge of bottled sauces, and some stock if they have it available. Plenty of places just fake the stock with combos of bean sauce, soy sauce, sugar, msg, and cornstarch. Both actually contain copious amts of corn starch (and I think sometimes tapioca flour) to thicken it; and that might be what gives your stomach a hard time. As for me, I love me some raadhnaa, especially on a cooler night (I live in Chiang Mai), ar after I've got a good couple drinks in me and need something to pad the stomach.

Thanks. I had wondered whether msg is the problem, as I've read somewhere some people cannot tolerate it.

The MSG thing is heavily debated here and elsewhere on the internet, but either way, just try telling the person as you order "Mai sai cheu rot, khap." ie 'Please don't use any MSG.'

And my advice is to find a place that specializes in raad hnaa hmu maak as this kind of place always has the superior product. It can be a hole in the wall or a food cart; it's worth the search.

MSG ?

there is nothing wrong with msg! you get it naturally from all glutamate rich foods such as fermented products, mushrooms, seaweeds and so on. MSG is savory [savory taste is a separate taste by itself!].

the bad reputation of msg comes from Chinese restaurants in the west that uses msg as their main flavoring ingredient.

msg has its own respected healty use in cooking, and you probably are using it when adding 'fermented yellow beans', pla raa, Kapi, and so on that are VERY rich in glutamates

hth

thaifoodmaster

....there is nothing wrong with msg! you get it naturally from all glutamate rich foods such as fermented products, mushrooms, seaweeds and so on.

Agreed - MSG is a natual product or rather - MSG is found in nature, however.....

....MSG is now manufactured as a food additive and added to prepared food in much larger amounts than is found naturally in foods.

Although they occur naturally in many foods, the flavor contributions made by glutamic acid and other amino acids were only scientifically identified early in the twentieth century. The substance was discovered and identified in the year 1866, by the German chemist Karl Heinrich Leopold Ritthausen. In 1907 Japanese researcher Kikunae Ikeda of the Tokyo Imperial University identified brown crystals left behind after the evaporation of a large amount of kombu broth as glutamic acid. These crystals, when tasted, reproduced the ineffable but undeniable flavor he detected in many foods, most especially in seaweed. Professor Ikeda termed this flavor umami. He then patented a method of mass-producing a crystalline salt of glutamic acid, monosodium glutamate.
Source.

Is the natural MSG the same as that made in a factory and poured from a bottle or sprinkled from a bag?

Is the amount found in naturally prepared food the same and when it is added to improve the flavour?

If the food is naturally good - why do you need to add MSG?

This are the likely causes of problems people suffer when eating MSG.

Is the natural MSG the same as that made in a factory and poured from a bottle or sprinkled from a bag?

yes, glutamate is glutamate. what can be different?

Is the amount found in naturally prepared food the same and when it is added to improve the flavor?

adding a pinch of msg for a dish is not of health issue.

i dont call to over do it, or relay your flavoring based on MSG only. i also don't call for vitamins supplements. anything in access is probably bad for you!

If the food is naturally good - why do you need to add MSG?

on the same token. why to add salt? sugar? why to season your food? MSG has a savory taste, you should have this taste layer in your food. adding MSG or fermented items it the same! exactly like adding white sugar or other naturally occurring sugars.

yes, glutamate is glutamate. what can be different?

As I said before, but I'll use different words this time: purity and quantity. Further reading.

adding a pinch of msg for a dish is not of health issue.

If the food already contains a pinch of 'natural MSG' - are you not doubling the amount you are eating ?

....all to over do it, or relay your flavoring based on MSG only. i also don't call for vitamins supplements. anything in access is probably bad for you!
You have already agreed with me, thank you. :o
....on the same token. why to add salt? sugar? why to season your food? MSG has a savory taste, you should have this taste layer in your food. adding MSG or fermented items it the same! exactly like adding white sugar or other naturally occurring sugars.
Personally I don't add any refined sugar to my food - when people serve me with a coffee that has sugar in it tastes like drinking honey. Likewise with salt, when I eat food prepared by some particular people I can taste the excessive amount of salt they have added - when I ask if they have high blood pressure, they say "Yes - how did I know?"