Certificate Of Residency – Where To Get ?

bledu

To get many official thai documents (driving car licence, motorcycle licence, tabien baan sii luang…), one needs to bring something like a « certificat of residency ».

The Thai Immigration Office was able to do it for you but the Chiang Mai Immigration Office stopped to do it since last March and send you back to your embassy or consulate.

My problem is that the French consulate in Chiang Mai (I'm French citizen) can deliver this type of proof of address only if I declare myself as an expatriate people. Which I cannot do as I have many financial interests in France that are no open to non France resident people. If I declare myself as expatriate, I must break all those contracts and investments. I will not do that of course.

Is there any other ways to get this certificate of residency from any other authorities (like the municipality of Chiang Mai ?).

Note that I’m owner of a condo, have a lifelong usufruct on a land, and also an official owner of a motorcycle – because at that time (last january) the Immigration office of Chiang Mai was still delivering such a certificate.

Is the motorcycle green book I got with my mane and my Chiang Mai address in it, could be used as a proof of something to get the others documents  ?

Thanks for any information you could give to me.

Edited by bledu

I am quite surprised that Chiangmai "stopped" doing these certificate of residency"...

I think they still do them in Korat. Haven't checked for a while.

We did something different yesterday in Udon Thani but it might give you an idea.It was involving the registration of a car, without a Thai wife, without a Ta bian ban, without any property in Thailand or whatsoever. The same process doesn't apply every where in Thailand. We verified and in Korat, it's different. However, it was for Udon Than. TIT.

Prior to our intervention, the foreigner and the dealership tried for few weeks to do it, and had problems. The landlord was not cooperative. However, we were able to discuss with the landlord and got some documents.

For that case, we needed a copy of the Thai ID of the landlord, a copy of the Ta bian ban of the landlord, a copy of the lease and with these documents, we went to the police station to make a report about the residence of the foreigner (10 baht). Then we headed to the immigration in Nong Khai and made letters to confirm that the foreigner was living in Thailand, according to the documents given and the police report, and needed for the registration of the truck and a driver's licence in Udon Thani. Don't ask me why? I was just following one of our lawyers and he did the preparation and knew what he was doing. I know what a certificate of residency is and the documents from the immigration WERE NOT these documents. They did it for free because of the police report.

Then we went to the transport department with all these letters (immigration letters + police report + documents from the landlord + documents from the foreigner) and were able to register his car, without a certificate of residency or any documents from his embassy/country/etc. No Thai spouse, on a retirement visa done in a foreign country.

So, my idea: bring all your documents and go to the police station with someone speaking Thai. Ask to make a report that you live in Thailand. I don't know why you need that, but it might be sufficient for your needs.

Sebastian.

Thanks very much for those informations, Sebastian.

I will collect all I have here in my name (English or Thai name) : condo chanote, land chanote, electricity bills, TOT bills, TT&T Internet bills, DTAC postpaid contract, book of the motorbike…, and bring them at the police station, with the help of a thai friend. Thanks again.

Thanks very much for those informations, Sebastian.

I will collect all I have here in my name (English or Thai name) : condo chanote, land chanote, electricity bills, TOT bills, TT&T Internet bills, DTAC postpaid contract, book of the motorbike…, and bring them at the police station, with the help of a thai friend. Thanks again.

Since you are the owner of a condo you should be elibible for a YELLOW TAMBIEN BAN.  That works wonders as it's the farang equivalent of the blue tambien ban for Thai.  Check the pinned thread at the top of this forum for info.  You get this at your local amphur.

Mac

Since you are the owner of a condo you should be elibible for a YELLOW TAMBIEN BAN. That works wonders as it's the farang equivalent of the blue tambien ban for Thai. Check the pinned thread at the top of this forum for info. You get this at your local amphur.

Mac

That is correct and you won't have to go through the same process in the future.

(just parenthesis in French regarding the certificate of residence)

En ce qui concerne le certificat de résidence obtenu auprés des autorités locales, la fiscalité est indépendante de cet enregistrement. Donc je ne vois comment cela pourrait interférer avec vos affaires sur le territoire national mais dans tous les cas il vaut mieux être titulaire du livret jaune qui simplifie toute négociation avec les autorités thaïlandaise (attention il sera nécessaire de produire deux témoignages attestant de la véracité des faits

Thanks very much;

merci beaucoup pour ces informations.

It is presently to get the Tabien baan sii Luang that I need the certificate of residency.

I did collect all other documents and I have many more than 2 witnesses (managers of condo and friends…) but the District office which manage the tabien baan registration process, ask me for a proof of residency. They show me other farang claims for Yellow book for last year, all of them got the Cerificate of residency form from Immigration that I cannot not obtain anymore from Chiang Mai Immigration office. Its like a vicious circle…

I would like to understand something…

is it ONLY the Chiang Mai immigration Office that stopped to deliver the Certificate of residency since last March, or it is a NATIONAL decision that concerns all immigration Offices in Thailand ?

I would like to understand something…

is it ONLY the Chiang Mai immigration Office that stopped to deliver the Certificate of residency since last March, or it is a NATIONAL decision that concerns all immigration Offices in Thailand ?

I would like to know that as well as I am interested to buy a car within the next few month and would like to avoid my countries' embassy, which doesnt have a very good reputation....

Nobody has any information about ? Thank you.

Is it ONLY the Chiang Mai immigration Office that stopped to deliver the Certificate of residency since last March, or it is a NATIONAL decision that concerns all immigration Offices in Thailand ?

Help me understand this please - you are saying that if I want to buy a condo, a car or get a drivers license in Chiang Mai I first have to visit my Embassy and have them confirm that the visa in my passport, given to me by Thai Immigration is accurate and correct? I'll be interested to hear if any other nationalities apart from the French have experienced this problem.

Help me understand this please - you are saying that if I want to buy a condo, a car or get a drivers license in Chiang Mai I first have to visit my Embassy and have them confirm that the visa in my passport, given to me by Thai Immigration is accurate and correct? I'll be interested to hear if any other nationalities apart from the French have experienced this problem.

Based on my (British) experience, the letter you get from your embassy/consulate will say nothing about your visa - it just confirms your address, citizenship status, passport number etc. In the case of the British Consulate, it also confirms that "there is no information in our Consular records to the detriment of the applicant". Effectively, it's just a "notary" service.

Edited by Steve2UK

We were going to get the 5 year driver's license and needed the "Certificate of Residence". Were told that the USA

Consulate wouldn't do it and that we should go to Chiang Mai Immigration office. We went to Immigration and they told us that we should

go to the Consulate. My powers of persuasion however resulted in my getting from the Chiang Mai Immigration a signed Certificate of

Residence. We told this to motor vehicle office and were told there that they didn't accept them and that we needed to get it from

the Consulate. :o No matter how you do things it always works out wrong. :D

We were going to get the 5 year driver's license and needed the "Certificate of Residence". Were told that the USA

Consulate wouldn't do it and that we should go to Chiang Mai Immigration office. We went to Immigration and they told us that we should

go to the Consulate. My powers of persuasion however resulted in my getting from the Chiang Mai Immigration a signed Certificate of

Residence. We told this to motor vehicle office and were told there that they didn't accept them and that we needed to get it from

In my experience, the USA consulate will sign anything you say for a fee. I'm fairly sure a Certificate of Residence is no problem.

Were told that the USA

Consulate wouldn't do it and that we should go to Chiang Mai Immigration office.

You were given wrong info. I just got one from the US Consulate on Tuesday, July 21st. (5 days ago) Cost: 1,020 baht

A friend is in the process of getting a 5yr driving license and was surprised that immigration no longer provide proof of residence. I think the service from immigration was either free or a minimal fee, whereas the British Consul equivalent is about 2,300 baht. The great thing about this is that the Consul 'proof of residence' is more a proof of having 2,300 baht than an actual proof of residence. If I wanted to verify someone's residence I would put more faith in the immigration knowing where someone lives (since they sign in there every 90 days) as opposed to an embassy or consul. And since a driving license is accepted as ID I would have thought that the immigration 'proof of residence' would be a better idea.

So, now you provide a proof of residence that doesn't prove much and a doctors certificate (ditto). I suppose that since a driving license doesn't prove much about your motoring skills they are just trying to be consistent. :D

So, now you provide a proof of residence that doesn't prove much and a doctors certificate (ditto). I suppose that since a driving license doesn't prove much about your motoring skills they are just trying to be consistent. :D

Great observation KevinH. :o

I never understood the need for the certificate when it was issued by the Immigration folks and I understand it even less now that it isn't. Most amazing is that Thai Immigration is giving up the opportunity for 300 Baht income with each certificate. Maybe in a few months they will revert back to the old system and in the process increase the fee to 2,300 baht on the basis that was what the embassies charged, hmm, maybe a smart move on their part after all.

I never understood the need for the certificate when it was issued by the Immigration folks and I understand it even less now that it isn't. Most amazing is that Thai Immigration is giving up the opportunity for 300 Baht income with each certificate. Maybe in a few months they will revert back to the old system and in the process increase the fee to 2,300 baht on the basis that was what the embassies charged, hmm, maybe a smart move on their part after all.

Actually, the two of us that got a C of R in the 24hr window when CM Immigration said it would go back to issuing them a little while ago paid 500 baht for the privilege. Given that it took them all of about 20 minutes to type it up and no actual checks appear to be done (any more than your Embassy/Consulate does) it seems to me like money for old rope and most surprising that they're overlooking this easily source of revenue. I'd start a sub-contracting business (and do some checks) for that kind of money!

Actually, the two of us that got a C of R in the 24hr window when CM Immigration said it would go back to issuing them a little while ago paid 500 baht for the privilege. Given that it took them all of about 20 minutes to type it up and no actual checks appear to be done (any more than your Embassy/Consulate does) it seems to me like money for old rope and most surprising that they're overlooking this easily source of revenue. I'd start a sub-contracting business (and do some checks) for that kind of money!

That's not quite right. In order to be getting a drivers license you need a 1 year visa and in order to get that you need to declare your address in Thailand. Although they don't check them all, immigration does check out some by paying a visit and even checking with the neighbours. Besides, it wouldn't be wise to give a false address to immigration. So a certificate of residence from immigration does carry some weight. I'm not sure if the same applies to a certificate from an embassy or consul.

25 July 2008. Immigration office Phuket Town. Copy of passport, copy of lease for apartment, 1 photo, 100 baht. Cert of Residence 10 minutes.

P

I wonder if they do a postal service...!

CM Immigration told me that they couldn't issue one and that it was a nationwide decision from March 2008.

The British Consol will issue one for 2300 baht but my two driving licenses are 3 months apart so that would cost me 4600 baht - just crazy money. I let one of my licenses lapse and will apply for both at the same time so I don't have to pay for two sets of documents.

The lovely man at CM Immigration at the airport said that there's a new office round the back of Carrefour where I could make a complaint to the 'big boss' there. I haven't tried it yet but am seriously thinking about it. Maybe I'll try a big Thai-syle smile and see what happens! :o

MCL

Strangely when we did get the Chiang Mai Immigration to give us a "Certificate of Residence" last week

they didn't ask for any payment. Would have felt worse having to pay even 300 baht for something

that wouldn't be accepted by the Driver's License people anyway. :o

• 4 weeks later...

Some good news : immigration starts again to distribute Certificate of redidence !

The immigration office in Chiang Mai had

suspended issuing the letter of residence to

expatriates for the last few months as they

are pending to check the policy with

Bangkok office. Now, the immigration

office in Chiang Mai has re-opened this

service which allows you to request the

letter to support applications or renewing

your driving license as well as contacting

other government agencies.

You need to prepare the following

documents:

1. Request form

2. A copy of lease contract of your

house, condo or house where you

reside.

3. Two passport size photos

4. Fee 500

Some good news : immigration starts again to distribute Certificate of redidence !

Thanks. Assuming your confirmation comes from experience and not just a press release, I guess that question can be scrubbed from the list to ask the Colonel. Irritatingly, I paid out 2650 baht just two weeks ago for a consular letter and translation as part of my seemingly endless (and now largely pointless it seems) quest for a Yellow Book. :o

Thanks, bledu. If this is indeed true, it is very good news indeed.

The only difference is the 500 B fee; before it was free of charge.

But 500 B is a pittance compared to what various Consulates charge for notary statements. And some nationalities had no recourse here in CM.

Fantastic!

The immigration office in Chiang Mai had

suspended issuing the letter of residence to

expatriates for the last few months as they

are pending to check the policy with

Bangkok office. Now, the immigration

office in Chiang Mai has re-opened this

service which allows you to request the

letter to support applications or renewing

your driving license as well as contacting

other government agencies.

You need to prepare the following

documents:

1. Request form

2. A copy of lease contract of your

house, condo or house where you

reside.

3. Two passport size photos

4. Fee 500

Sounds gd. Must you hold a 1 yr Non-Immigrant Visa too?