Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai - 2020

deej

FWIW

Went to Mae Taeng DLT to morning for 5 yr renewal of my drivers licience.

And was told NO CAN DO for Falang due to no video room being availabe for Falang

Was told must go to Handong DLT for renewal as they  have a Falang video room and watch a 1 hour video before given a new 5 yr licience 

All new news to me

Edited by deej

Today arrived at Handong DLT for 5 yr licience renewal

@

7.45 am  .by 10 .15 am colour blind test. one hour video and paper work processed

@ 11.45 am Boss Lady came out. and said come back after lunch 1pm.

Back at 1pm and given ticket number74 for photo and payment 

@ around 3 .45 pm Boss  Lady came out and oppologised and said please come back tomorrow at 8am to complete

BTW

not one licience was renewed in the afternoon 

Got me beat

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/2/2020 at 5:03 PM, deej said:

not one licience was renewed in the afternoon 

Got me beat

Same thing happened to me a year ago. The computer was down -- a bunch of us had to come back the next day for the final step -- photo and issue.

16 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Do you need the medical thing? I don't recall doing it last time (but might have). 

Residence certificate? Where do we get this these days? How long does it take? 

Thanks. 

My requirements at Han dong  DLT for a 5 yr licience renewal a few days back and  accepted was  as follows

1/ medical certificate (Dr)

2/resident certificate purchased at Airport Immgr Dept (500 baht)took 2 days

3/Passport and copy of picture and particulars page

4/Your licience

5/Cost 500 odd baht

With luck if u arrive around  7.45 am  should be completed by lunchtime or earlier

Good luck

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

DLT has suspended driver.s license renewals as from 31 March

Expired license.s can be used until emergency is over

The DLT is still opened for Veichle registration tax

New license.s and driver training  were cancelled during last week

Edited by deej

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 8:33 AM, CharlieH said:

Current feedback and information on Driving licence application and renewal.

Link to previous topic for reference/info

All the above messages refer to 5 year license renewal. Are the requirements the same for changing from a temporary 2 year license to a 5 year licence or are there additional hoops to go through?

Sawadee bee Mai all.

????

1 hour ago, stament said:

All the above messages refer to 5 year license renewal. Are the requirements the same for changing from a temporary 2 year license to a 5 year licence or are there additional hoops to go through?

Sawadee bee Mai all.

????

You need to read some of the 32 pages on the matter linked above.

• 3 weeks later...

DLT is resuming License Renewals from May 7.

An appointment has to be booked through

DLT  Smart Queue Application

New drivers licience services that require training Etc Etc

remain suspended

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 9:05 AM, deej said:

And another quick turn. Suspended again until May 31.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

DLT licensing services remain suspended through to the end of Emergency

Decree 30 / 6

If your license is expired,it is still valid until services return, complete with insurance cover.

4 minutes ago, Greenside said:

Slightly off topic, but can anyone fill me in on the procedure for getting an International DL?  At present only a long expired US license and never had a Thai license.

To get an International Driver Permit (no such thing as a international licence) you will need to have a 5 year Thai licence, you get the 5 year licence after you have had your 2 year temporary licence.

• 2 weeks later...

I went there yesterday (17/06/20) for renewing my GF's driving license and I asked info about how to renew my 5 years license which I have to renew before March the 6th.
What a pain! They absolutely wanted to see my passport to give me info and told me I cannot have a driving license if I don't have the proper visa while my 5 years driving license was in their hands all along. Like they did not believe I had a working visa...

Finally they gave me a paper with some info (which I attached).
Medical certificate is mandatory, they told me that my work permit could not replace a certificate of residency, it's crossed out on the paper. The site of the Department of land and transport specifies that the work permit is fine. However, I am pretty sure that the Chiang Mai office does not care about that. They must have friends waiting for my 500 baht at the certificate of residency office...

info.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 6:33 PM, chongtak said:

They must have friends waiting for my 500 baht at the certificate of residency office...

May I ask about your experience with the certificate of residence?  Last time we got one we weren't in a hurry so waited a full 6 weeks (we were given the date and time for picking it up when we submitted the form), do you know how many weeks you have to wait without paying the bribe fee?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 7:01 PM, Konini said:

May I ask about your experience with the certificate of residence?  Last time we got one we weren't in a hurry so waited a full 6 weeks (we were given the date and time for picking it up when we submitted the form), do you know how many weeks you have to wait without paying the bribe fee?

20 days seems standard these days.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CMMCB said:

20 days seems standard these days.

Mr K went in last week as he was in the area to get a date for the driver licence renewal.  He asked how long for the option where it is no overnight.  No option, 500 baht.  He said I don't want to hurry, I will wait like last time but was told they are not free any more, must pay.  If I'd been with him I would have insisted on asking a supervisor, but he didn't want to have a black mark against his name in case of difficulties in the future.  This was on the 2nd or 3rd floor, whichever it is you go to.  He probably will sneak there without telling me because he knows without asking that I will demand an official receipt before handing money over.  His way is easier, my way is the reason I sleep easy at night.  13 years living in SEA, 10 of those being in Chiang Mai and I still have not knowingly paid one single penny to an official that wasn't legally payable complete with receipt.

For anyone interested, the wait for an appointment for driver licence renewal is now 3 weeks (up from the 2 weeks I had seen reported a few days before he went).

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 1:00 PM, Konini said:

Mr K went in last week as he was in the area to get a date for the driver licence renewal.  He asked how long for the option where it is no overnight.  No option, 500 baht.  He said I don't want to hurry, I will wait like last time but was told they are not free any more, must pay. 

Amazing the difference day to day, isn't it? A young intern lady just offered me 20-days free or next day 500 around the same time. Picked it up 20 days later. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CMMCB said:

Amazing the difference day to day, isn't it? A young intern lady just offered me 20-days free or next day 500 around the same time. Picked it up 20 days later. 

It's so annoying.  At least if they were consistent it would be better, even if it is illegal.  Probably just a different intern, or maybe the same one and as you said, the difference day to day.  He tried insisting on the free one, she flatly told him no free ones any more.  Ker ching!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 9:05 AM, deej said:

DLT  Smart Queue Application

New drivers licience services that require training Etc Etc

remain suspended

Tried the Smart Q this morning, would not accept passport number requires  Thai national ID number,13 characters.

Went in person with all my documentation to renew my 5 year licence renewal, now expired, 3 weeks ago. All was approved, Given appointment this coming Friday to do the colour blind test and watch the amazing video "How to drive in Thailand" and hopefully a new licence which will now be effective for 6 yrs

15 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Went in person with all my documentation to renew my 5 year licence renewal, now expired, 3 weeks ago. All was approved, Given appointment this coming Friday to do the colour blind test and watch the amazing video "How to drive in Thailand" and hopefully a new licence which will now be effective for 6 yrs

Thanks, any particular time?

On 8/20/2020 at 6:46 AM, Thailand said:

Thanks, any particular time?

Went in today with docs about 9.15a.m. Information desk second floor. About 10 minutes queuing to get to desk. Docs checked,Yellow book acceptable for residency ,still!

Appointment for 1st September for "how to drive in Thailand" video etc. Wonder if it has changed from the last 2 I have seen. ????