Buying A Bike

CCCP

I'm in the process of buying a bike (Nouvo) but i'm not sure about the licence requirements. I only have my EU licence so do I legaly need to apply for thai licence. I know many people or riding without but i'd rather do it properly.

Thanks

The international driving license is valid for one year. After that, you need the local Thai license.

HOW you get it HIGHLY depends on the local authorities. From my own bad experience I can only recommend to check carefully in advance what you need to bring, because definitely you will need a bunch of papers, typically a health certificate, sometimes a confirmation letter from your embassy. Normally you will have to do an "eyes test" and a kind of reaction test (very easy).

Best is to bring your valid (!) internatinal license. Sometimes a European one with a translation might do.

My international was expired, I had the European one , but no translation. So, besides the eye check I had to pass a theoretical exam (similar to the European) and a practical one (ridiculous! start, 5 meters slalom, stop, turn right. now i know why there are so many road accidents with bikes in Thailand!) The procedure took me the whole day.

Good luck and safe riding!

Just to clarify the above document you want is an international driving Permit.. NOT an International Driving License..

I know that sounds pedantic but one is the legal document you get from your home country (usually AA or RAC) valid for one year.. The other is a bit of a scam sold online and doesnt actually legalise you.

I know my local office want an IDP from me.. I recently read how someone used only a home country license to get a Thai license without a test, but later it turned out he was an Ozzie, I am guessing there may be additional ASEAN assistance for license conversion for them.

Just to clarify the above document you want is an international driving Permit..

(that) is the legal document you get from your home country (usually AA or RAC) valid for one year..

Be careful,

The International Permit is valid 3 years for European ones.

But it is valid only for stays no more than 3 months in a same country,

And it stops to be valid in a country if you establish your residence there.

So if you want live in Thailand, it will last only 3 months, max.

Apologize.. I was always told an IDP was only a year document.. Certainly the UK ones and the Thai one that I have had have only been 12 months with no option for longer.

I was mostly trying to point out the IDL scam..

I also read that it was valid for multiple visits in the year.. As I am out of the country every 90 days each time I return it would be a new visit no ?? I mean if Thailand was giving me residency then sure, but we all know what it takes to get residency !!

I have Thai ones anyway.