Retired Brit Teacher Needs Advice

kokesaat

A good friend of mine, a retired teacher from the UK, lives in a remote Isaan village. He's elderly and uses the computer solely for emails. He has traveled in the past to England for an annual health checkup and refills on prescription medication. He told me that he would no longer be eligible for these health checkups as he had been out of the country for too long. He also mentioned that he could no longer vote for the same reason.

I'm skeptical of what my friend believe (I'm American)......I'm afraid he may not be getting the right info (he's gotten bad info on visas, banking, etc in the past). Might someone on this forum be in touch with info on this matter. I appreciate all replies.

Thanks from Udorn, Thailand

Browse this link...it details benefits that can be claimed by British people who have retired and are living abroad. May even be worth a phone call the the gentlemans doctor who may be able to advise him on what he can claim for...but really I would think that there are so many Brits living overseas in their retirement that having paid national insurance contributions all their lives they should be able to claim them where ever they live.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/penret/pr_...ving_abroad.asp

Your friend recieves a British Government pension, part of which is contribution to the national insurance - health service - he is elligable to be treated.

The catch, if there is one, he must be registered at an adress and doctor in the UK.

This can be a friend or relative's home address.

However, even if he is not registered the British Health service is bound by law to provide care, he could walk into any doctor's surgery and ask to see a doctor - I have done this.

Browse this link...it details benefits that can be claimed by British people who have retired and are living abroad. May even be worth a phone call the the gentlemans doctor who may be able to advise him on what he can claim for...but really I would think that there are so many Brits living overseas in their retirement that having paid national insurance contributions all their lives they should be able to claim them where ever they live.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/penret/pr_...ving_abroad.asp

In the link I left above it states that if you have been livning outside the UK for more than three months you are not automatically entitlted to free NHS hospital treatment.

totster :o

His right to vote is not compromised in any way. Contact embassy if in doubt. Regarding health insurance, there have been changes in legislation indeed.

Being registered with a GP in the Uk, whether you live there or not, should still be a viable, if not strictly legal, option. You know what they are like....