Hong Kong Duty Free

mickmac

I am heading to Hong Kong next week for a few days holiday. I want some information re: the duty free at HK airport. Is there a better/cheaper selection of goods there than in BKK? Just looking at picking up a couple of bottles of Champagne and maybe a camcorder. Any thoughts folks?

Edited by mickmac

HKG duty has a good selection of duty free with the staff much more knowledgable about their products. That said I would not buy any electronic products at either airport for that matter any airport. The prices are just not cheaper. When in HKG head down to Mong Kok area of Kowloon and go to the SONY shop and service center. The prices are about 20pct cheaper than here. I was looking for some accessories for my vdo cam and priced everything before hand. I was not in the market for any cameras or vdo but did have a good look and I'm sure you will find something. Sony shop is across from the Apple icare shop but located on the 9th floor. There are other numerous "chain" electronic shops around here so have a look.

As far as alcohol goes I find the prices the same at both duty frees though HKG was having a special on Absolute for about 400 a bottle for the new Mango flavor. Remember if you buy alcohol in BKK and bring it with you to HKG you will either have to drink it there as you will not be able to bring back through customs on the way out. Don't forget about the no liquids rule!! Pain in the ass as alcohol is much cheaper in the supermarkets in HKG. That said I bought 3 boxes of California red (3L) for about 350 baht each and packed in my suitcase. Savings for the same brand when buying at Villa of about 600 baht each so well worth it. Would have loved to buy some bottled wine but again cannot!

I visit HK several times a year and browse the duty free often. I have found that, lately, the duty free is set at near retail and shopping in the city or Kowloon is cheaper.

BKK duty free, has few if any bargains.

I was there last week and found sales on almost everything in almost every store. Looks like maybe clearing out stuff for the Olympics crowd, next month.

You might want to check your schedule against the Olympic dates as it will be very busy during that time. Not to mention the pricing factor.

I don't have the answer, but I can give you two prices on litres of Single Malt Scotch at Duty Free arrivals Bkk.

One litre of The Macallan 12 year old: 1620 baht.

One litre of Laphroaig 10 year old: 1440 baht.

So now you have some prices to compare.

Also, the prices and variety at departures and arrivals are the same, so you can compare before you depart.

Edited by maxjay

I'd like to thank everyone that has taken the trouble to reply to my query. As I mention I'm going on Thursday and back on the Monday, so there will not be a problem with the Olympics. Wouldn't have minded going racing, but it looks as if the race course's are being used to host the equestrian events.

Cheers

I'd like to thank everyone that has taken the trouble to reply to my query. As I mention I'm going on Thursday and back on the Monday, so there will not be a problem with the Olympics. Wouldn't have minded going racing, but it looks as if the race course's are being used to host the equestrian events.

Cheers

yes..The hotels is quite busy in Beijing right now. But not effect HK much right now. if you have any trouble during your visit in HK or mainland of China. PLs let me know. I'm citizen here. :o

Edited by Jgirl

I would even say they are more expensive than in town, as HKIA charges phenomenal rents.

Except for tobacco & cigarettes, you find anything else at the same price if not cheaper in town.

Perfume & things are higher than in any Sasa store. Even the bookstores charge higher prices than downtown.