Where Oh Where Can I Listen To Some Decent Techno?

fw1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can try FLIX, RCA or also Liquid Lounge near Silom road. Both play Tech house.

I have two points of view on the topic. One from being a club and hotel owner in Adelaide and the other being a very good dj. I banned myself playing in my own club because it was not the direction that I wanted to go.

Techno music or rave = small market share

commercial music = big market share. Mwah ha ha ha. Thats how I made money.

I also made money by putting on Raves and club nights in venues that were suited to that style.

I love playing my music but it really has to be in the right environment. God forbid for example them playing it at say Gullies. That would kill the crowd.

Nomad

Yes mate, this is the problem that so many face. I don't personally have a problem with the majority giving into the masses just as long as there are venues for those of us interested in better quality music. Some of the stuff they play at the more popular bars along RCA is shockingly bad. Think it made my beer go flat once.

Dave, are you the guy I chatted to last Saturday night?

Nope, that was me :D

There are two reasons. Firstly, the music played is imported from the UK; it's mostly new stuff, the second DJ that came on played vinyl only, which definately has a more solid feel about it compared to CD's. Secondly, I was really impressed by the DJing, no drops in tempo, no mixing tracks that simply don't stand well together, no cock-ups whatsoever, just quality DJing.

Huge thanks for the post - very much appreciated :o

Edited by Insight

Dave, are you the guy I chatted to last Saturday night?

Nope, that was me :D

There are two reasons. Firstly, the music played is imported from the UK; it's mostly new stuff, the second DJ that came on played vinyl only, which definately has a more solid feel about it compared to CD's. Secondly, I was really impressed by the DJing, no drops in tempo, no mixing tracks that simply don't stand well together, no cock-ups whatsoever, just quality DJing.

Huge thanks for the post - very much appreciated :o

No probs. Am trying to get a few people out tonight. Think I have 5 people coming so far.

What time are you on at?

PM'd but generic reply.

I usually play the 12-2am set, both Fridays and Saturdays (and a few days mid-week also). There isn't any fixed schedule tho, so it really can change last-minute.

Come on down anyhow - all the DJ's that play there are pretty talented IMHO. No ego, just decent tunes.

Its all down to the music for sure.

I find thai DJS fiddle around with the mixing too much and end up scrambling everything into one big noise with no musical quality at all.

That's the sign of a bad, inexperienced DJ I'm afraid.

You can try FLIX, RCA or also Liquid Lounge near Silom road. Both play Tech house.

I have two points of view on the topic. One from being a club and hotel owner in Adelaide and the other being a very good dj. I banned myself playing in my own club because it was not the direction that I wanted to go.

I also made money by putting on Raves and club nights in venues that were suited to that style.

I love playing my music but it really has to be in the right environment. God forbid for example them playing it at say Gullies. That would kill the crowd.

Nomad

Yes mate, this is the problem that so many face. I don't personally have a problem with the majority giving into the masses just as long as there are venues for those of us interested in better quality music. Some of the stuff they play at the more popular bars along RCA is shockingly bad. Think it made my beer go flat once.

I think I understand what you are trying to say but mmmm BETTER QUALITY MUSIC is a very misleading one. Again each to his own. Who is to say techno is better than d'n'b' or rave or old skool. I think some disco hits and funk from the 70's is REAL QUALITY MUSIC. The world needs to have all these different venues that can cater for the different styles. That is how I think it should be worded. IMHO. I know friends who use listen to "underground music" now D'n'B ain't underground. Hopefully, I'll catch your set sometime. I like technically good djs play and appreciate what they can do. However, a lot of people would have no idea that there were 2-3 records playing at the same time with bass or trebble cut. I think as time goes on things will change. I know from djing there are loads of train spotters now and thats fine. Its nice to get recognition from your peers even if it only other djs.

Cheers

Carl

Its all good

Wandered into RIVAS last night

650 baht min pp two drinks

Awful hiphop stlye band playing

Place 30%

What is that moron of a manager on?

Nomad

I think I understand what you are trying to say but mmmm BETTER QUALITY MUSIC is a very misleading one. Again each to his own. Who is to say techno is better than d'n'b' or rave or old skool. I think some disco hits and funk from the 70's is REAL QUALITY MUSIC. The world needs to have all these different venues that can cater for the different styles. That is how I think it should be worded. IMHO. I know friends who use listen to "underground music" now D'n'B ain't underground. Hopefully, I'll catch your set sometime. I like technically good djs play and appreciate what they can do. However, a lot of people would have no idea that there were 2-3 records playing at the same time with bass or trebble cut. I think as time goes on things will change. I know from djing there are loads of train spotters now and thats fine. Its nice to get recognition from your peers even if it only other djs.

Cheers

Carl