Where Oh Where Can I Listen To Some Decent Techno?

fw1

Yup, sounds like it was knocked up in 5 minutes. I reckon he spent a bit longer on it tho :o

But elders, some moderation please! :D Can understand the majority of opinion given the standard of "techno" in many bars in Bangkok (and all around Thailand including Samui for that matter).

A very friendly Oz guy took control of the turntables last weekend. Turned out he was pretty talented - beat matching, mixing, cue points etc were all spot on, combined with a very recent selection of tunes (something which is also completely missing from here).

(I appreciate the above paragraph is probably lost on most of our audience right now.)

When he told us it was his aim to live in Thailand and DJ as a profession (as a means of bread and butter) he was almost laughed out the country. Shame really, but that's just the way it is round here. Slap that on top of the 1am closing times in most areas, the place is turning into a bad joke.

Apparently, before the crash of '97, things were an entirely different story all together tho...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if anywhere plays decent hard house/ hard trance/techno late at night?

By this I don't mean Lucifers, Nana Disco, Marine and the likes, I mean the kind of stuff is difficult to buy and doesn't make it onto Top of The Pops like that 'castles in the sky' rubbish. They seem to put it on in Lucifers everytime I go in there.

After living in BKK for a few years I have given up searching. If anyone could help, I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Not Here, only place i know is round my house after the pub :o

Why is it that Thai's cannot seem to grasp that costantly playin the same songs is so mind numbingly boring it makes me want to reach for the bleach and strong rope? Try this, stand on any street with a vcd player and put on an eagles vcd, you can actually hypnotise them, they are wide eyed zombies in seconds mindlessly staring at the screen, I wonder why Toxin has not added this to his arsenal of mind control tecniques. <deleted> is that little chipmunk kid singing about, and they love it, I have seen grown men grinning and bopping along to the mindless crap. Ever been in a Thai art gallery, looks like your grannys parlour in the 70's what is that all about?

Well at least things haven't got this <deleted> silly:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3987123.stm

Russian city bans 'immoral' DJs

By Steve Rosenberg

BBC Moscow correspondent 

Officials in a south Russian city are to impose restrictions on discos and attempt to "educate" DJs in an effort to improve public morality.

The new decree in Belgorod, 700km (400 miles) from Moscow, limits the kind of music which can be played as well as the kind of DJs permitted to play it.

Most Russians view discos simply as innocent fun.

But officials in Belgorod consider them to be a potential danger to society, hotbeds of drugs, drink and debauchery.

Now the regional governor has ordered DJs to face the music and clean up their acts.

He has imposed heavy restrictions on local discos or, as they are described in the decree, "mass cultural youth events".

From now on, only music which is considered to be of a moral nature can be played.

Measured steps

Recommended works include folk music, Russian and western classics.

Disc jockeys must have completed secondary education and they must know Russia's law on culture.

Special courses will be organised to help DJs improve their qualifications.

As for the audience, from now on anyone boogieing in Belgorod would be well advised to take along a tape measure and a watch.

According to the decree, there can be no more than two people dancing on one square metre and the music has to stop at 10pm.

It all smacks of Soviet-era control. Under communism, censors usually decided which songs could be played and which were too ideologically unsound.

This is not the first time that officials in Belgorod have tried to raise the moral standing of society.

Early this year they launched a campaign to stop people swearing and encouraged police to fine anyone heard using "four-letter" words.

Does anyone know if anywhere plays decent hard house/ hard trance/techno late at night?

By this I don't mean Lucifers, Nana Disco, Marine and the likes, I mean the kind of stuff is difficult to buy and doesn't make it onto Top of The Pops like that 'castles in the sky' rubbish. They seem to put it on in Lucifers everytime I go in there.

After living in BKK for a few years I have given up searching. If anyone could help, I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Dear fw1,

You can go to Bed Superclub, Sukhumvit Soi 11 esp. on Mon and Sat, or Code bar, RCV or Cafe democ, democracy monument. They play decent house. However, it's sad the majority of Thais do not go to those clubs or listen to decent music, they prefer some rubblish pop music. By the way, if you go to Samui island, you can check out at Mint Bar, Soi Green Mango, Chaweng. This club is brilliant!

Cheers,

Sigur ros

By the way, if you go to Samui island, you can check out at Mint Bar, Soi Green Mango, Chaweng. This club is brilliant!

Yeah got to agree with you about Mint Bar - great sound system.

Home to Thailand's only real internetional DJ - Nakadia (www.Nakadia.com)

Unfortunately she is in Europe at the moment and when I was in Samui last weekend there were less than a dozen people in Mint Bar both Friday and Saturday night.

Unfortunately she is in Europe at the moment and when I was in Samui last weekend there were less than a dozen people in Mint Bar both Friday and Saturday night.

What time were you at Mint Bar at the time, I went there three months ago and it was crowded after midnight. DJ Nakadia? She looks more like Isaan working girl than Inter DJ :o

What time were you at Mint Bar at the time, I went there three months ago and it was crowded after midnight. DJ Nakadia? She looks more like Isaan working girl than Inter DJ :o

She does doesnt she - but she is pretty wild when she plays. (You can also see from her website that she has well over 100 gigs in 20 odd countries a year.) In September she brought over Marco V to play in Mint Bar.

BTW I agree that DJ is one of the most overused terms in Bangkok - seems that virtually every unemployed farang refers to themselves as a DJ or part time DJ. These are the sort of DJs who if you buy them one beer, they will play whatever you want!!

As for Mint Bar, both nights I went passed there between 11.30 and 12.00 on the way to GM and then back past about 2.00am. Nobody around at all.

It is unfortunate to judge people's ability or character on the basis of their looks.

She does doesnt she - but she is pretty wild when she plays. (You can also see from her website that she has well over 100 gigs in 20 odd countries a year.) In September she brought over Marco V to play in Mint Bar.

BTW I agree that DJ is one of the most overused terms in Bangkok - seems that virtually every unemployed farang refers to themselves as a DJ or part time DJ. These are the sort of DJs who if you buy them one beer, they will play whatever you want!!

As for Mint Bar, both nights I went passed there between 11.30 and 12.00 on the way to GM and then back past about 2.00am. Nobody around at all.

DJ NIN is an old hand on the DJ scene in Thailand. He's played all over Europe too and still does occasionally. Nakadia's downfall is her looks but who cares?

I get this update on a regular basis so must be some good stuff in there...

Still prefer Andy Stewart :D

Gigs This Week..

Below are brief details of live music in Bangkok listed by venue name.

If there are any gigs/venues we are missing please let us know

by sending an email to: ................

This table is intended as a guide only.

Please check in the on-line giguide for up to date information

Features of the Bangkok Gig Guide

Todays Gigs A complete list of today's live music sorted by blues, jazz, pop, rock, folk, latin, easy listening, etc.

Advanced Gig Search Find live music by venue, date, music type or band.

Music Venues Bangkoks Best Venues Listed In alphabetical order..

A-F G-P R-Z

and......

Britstock

To celebrate His Majesty the King's Birthday, and the 35th anniversary of Woodstock, the rock event of the last century held in the US 35 years ago, the British Club Bangkok, is presenting BRITSTOCK in the grounds of the British Club, Silom Soi 18 on Sunday 5th December from 2pm to 9pm. The music is organised and sponsored by Noriega's Music Bar, and the children’s entertainment provided is sponsored by Crown Relocations. Most of the bands performing are regulars at Noriega's, including Flow,Cannonball, The Bastards, Soi Dog Blues Band, Simon & Friends, Iggi &Rick,Stranded, The Original Sins and others. Tickets (including a BBQ buffet) are 400 Baht (Adults), 200 Baht (Kids), 50 Baht (Infants) and are available via the British Club (to British Club Members and their guests only), and to others only via Noriega's Bar (at the far end of Silom Soi 4). Telephone Frank at Noriega's on 01 834 6855 for further details. Tickets must be purchased in advance and it should be a good day out! :o

http://www.bangkokgigguide.com/

To be honest I am happy for you guys to discuss your rock classic bars - pink floyd, Led Zep etc.. Just leave us in peace to find some decent dance music.

Thing is jaidee, some Pink Floyd tracks are timeless and will be appreciated in years to come. I don't like to knock any style of music but could you listen to that same thumpin' tune in 30 years and still appreciate it?

what a boring thread :o yawn.

Had a bad day, Dave? :D

To be honest I am happy for you guys to discuss your rock classic bars - pink floyd, Led Zep etc.. Just leave us in peace to find some decent dance music.

Thing is jaidee, some Pink Floyd tracks are timeless and will be appreciated in years to come. I don't like to knock any style of music but could you listen to that same thumpin' tune in 30 years and still appreciate it?

I'm just messin with the trendy Dj's :D

My DJ's been stroppy tonight so I've reminded him how he has to follow MY orders. :D

I like dance music, not too keen on techno rubbish but i do agree with Jackr. :D

• 3 months later...

Greetings all.

So, some five or six months on since I posted this thread, I have tried all the places recommended several times over as well as a few others, I unfortunately add. I can honestly say that the best trance/hard trance to be found in Bangkok is, as several have suggested, to be found at Eeze, RCA.

There are two reasons. Firstly, the music played is imported from the UK; it's mostly new stuff, the second DJ that came on played vinyl only, which definately has a more solid feel about it compared to CD's. Secondly, I was really impressed by the DJing, no drops in tempo, no mixing tracks that simply don't stand well together, no cock-ups whatsoever, just quality DJing.

So yes, thanks once again all. I shall be at Eeze tonight Fri 25th. See you there if you're interested. Bearing in mind it's free to get in you have nothing to lose and the music certainly beats Lucifers, Narcissus and the likes.

You can try FLIX, RCA or also Liquid Lounge near Silom road. Both play Tech house.

I have two points of view on the topic. One from being a club and hotel owner in Adelaide and the other being a very good dj. I banned myself playing in my own club because it was not the direction that I wanted to go.

Techno music or rave = small market share

commercial music = big market share. Mwah ha ha ha. Thats how I made money.

I also made money by putting on Raves and club nights in venues that were suited to that style.

I love playing my music but it really has to be in the right environment. God forbid for example them playing it at say Gullies. That would kill the crowd.

Nomad

nachtcafe2.jpg

What is wrong with DJ Nakadia ?...looks ok to me. Maybe her skin is too dark for you guys. :o

Other than the headphones and fleece, looks like she's just come out of the field. :D

Actually, I think she is rather hot. Being a promoter, if she can really play she'd be a good crowd puller. Meaning she would attract a crowd. :D

Its all down to the music for sure.

I find thai DJS fiddle around with the mixing too much and end up scrambling everything into one big noise with no musical quality at all.

nachtcafe2.jpg

What is wrong with DJ Nakadia ?...looks ok to me. Maybe her skin is too dark for you guys. :o

Other than the headphones and fleece, looks like she's just come out of the field. :D

Actually, I think she is rather hot. Being a promoter, if she can really play she'd be a good crowd puller. Meaning she would attract a crowd. :D

what a boring thread :D yawn.

:o

:D

No-one forced to to read it. :D

Its like when people complain that there is cr*p on the T.V. or that the music on the radio is sh*t. Turn it Off. Do something else.

Go read the light buld thread. More your style.

:D

Nomad

I'm ok with DJ's again now. The little <deleted> quit his job so now i have a DJ's that listens. :D