Samui Economics

When I landed in Samui almost exactly 4years ago I stayed in Chaweng Gardens in the middle of town in a fan hut for 400thb per night, no website. Now on looking to stay there again I am advised of the availability of a website, which informed that the cheapest room at the same time as before is now 1,500thb, no fan rooms, i.e. 400% increase in minimum cost in 4 years.

So the fabric of Samui has actually changed and with it as word spreads the demise of the youth culture, back packing market part of the historical fabric of Thai 'Tourism'.

This will probably put paid to Phanghan youth full moon market no doubt to the delight of the new breed millionaire types and usual bores who will (the Thai or is it Samui government hopes) take over.

Whether the new millionaire types will take to leaving the country every 90 days for their priviledge, or the remaining youth culture will now be able to engineer an 'onward ticket' for their 30 day stamp, remains to be seen.

But possibly 'the magic' of Thailand, it's unpredictability to the western mind and absolutely introverted, attempts to appeal to the ordinary westerners purse, being strangely certainly included in it's appeal, will prevail.

If I was very wealthy, I certainly would not be in Thailand, and I suspect that when the new breed of wealthy investors from Russia who seem to be providing the latest round of enthusiasm, become more worldly, they too might realise that they are not actually welcome to stay in Thailand, in fact I suspect one day in the near future the extent to which in some places they are unsubtly "replacing Thai 'entrepreneurs'", will be considered a situation that needs to be addressed by Thai 'society'. I would imagine rich people like to be genuinely welcomed where they spend their loot.

Well I could go on and on........... :o

When I landed in Samui almost exactly 4years ago I stayed in Chaweng Gardens in the middle of town in a fan hut for 400thb per night, no website. Now on looking to stay there again I am advised of the availability of a website, which informed that the cheapest room at the same time as before is now 1,500thb, no fan rooms, i.e. 400% increase in minimum cost in 4 years.

So the fabric of Samui has actually changed and with it as word spreads the demise of the youth culture, back packing market part of the historical fabric of Thai 'Tourism'.

This will probably put paid to Phanghan youth full moon market no doubt to the delight of the new breed millionaire types and usual bores who will (the Thai or is it Samui government hopes) take over.

Whether the new millionaire types will take to leaving the country every 90 days for their priviledge, or the remaining youth culture will now be able to engineer an 'onward ticket' for their 30 day stamp, remains to be seen.

But possibly 'the magic' of Thailand, it's unpredictability to the western mind and absolutely introverted, attempts to appeal to the ordinary westerners purse, being strangely certainly included in it's appeal, will prevail.

If I was very wealthy, I certainly would not be in Thailand, and I suspect that when the new breed of wealthy investors from Russia who seem to be providing the latest round of enthusiasm, become more worldly, they too might realise that they are not actually welcome to stay in Thailand, in fact I suspect one day in the near future the extent to which in some places they are unsubtly "replacing Thai 'entrepreneurs'", will be considered a situation that needs to be addressed by Thai 'society'. I would imagine rich people like to be genuinely welcomed where they spend their loot.

you talk a load of rubbish back packers are not wanted because they want everything cheap at other peoples expense. i am sorry but i personally can not handle back packers constantly looking for something for free. if u don't have money then don't come here. i have had a few bad experiences with back packers just take take taking off me without paying me back so as far as i am consirned they can back off.

sorry got out the bed wrong side this morning.

you talk a load of rubbish back packers are not wanted because they want everything cheap at other peoples expense. i am sorry but i personally can not handle back packers constantly looking for something for free. if u don't have money then don't come here. i have had a few bad experiences with back packers just take take taking off me without paying me back so as far as i am consirned they can back off.

Many of us had to endure grumpy old 'rich' men here at some time but we don't tell them to bugger off.

Live and let live!

Many of us had to endure grumpy old 'rich' men here at some time but we don't tell them to bugger off.

Live and let live!

i do

as has the cost of fuel, construction, transportation, groceries, and all supplies across the board.

how do you see prices on samui affecting phan ngan? in my 10+ years visiting KPG, 90% of the travellers i met used samui only for its banking or airport facilities and kpg has banks now. As for your reference to the new millionaire culture, it just makes you sound bitter.

these new millionaire types probably wont mind the the regular travel, or they will find a way to stay longer term. there is an immigration office on the island that is able to do extensions, 1 year visas and work permits.

with this attitude towards the place why would you want to return?

so it comes back to your own financial situation does it? having, by your own admission, no money to speak of, how can you even attempt to speculate what rich people like?

"historical fabric of thai tourism" indeed

please don't

Edited by t.s

To be honest, I find it quite difficult to follow the OP's point. He seems to be unhappy at the fact that Samui has changed from a destination in which there was plenty of cheap accommodation into a resort in which package holiday mid-market accommodation and luxury accommodation have all but squeezed out the $10 a night bungalows and guesthouses. This is normal tourism development as has happened in many places. You cannot turn back the clock.

I have wonderful news for him or her. Thailand has 76 provinces of which Samui is only a small part of one. So go and try the other 75 and a half and you'll find plenty of accommodation at the Samui prices of yesteryear.

OP needs to use his noddle and he'll find what he is looking for.

To be honest, I find it quite difficult to follow the OP's point. He seems to be unhappy at the fact that Samui has changed from a destination in which there was plenty of cheap accommodation into a resort in which package holiday mid-market accommodation and luxury accommodation have all but squeezed out the $10 a night bungalows and guesthouses. This is normal tourism development as has happened in many places. You cannot turn back the clock.

I have wonderful news for him or her. Thailand has 76 provinces of which Samui is only a small part of one. So go and try the other 75 and a half and you'll find plenty of accommodation at the Samui prices of yesteryear.

OP needs to use his noddle and he'll find what he is looking for.

Totally AGREE....

Simple question for OP : how much you pay in your own country 1 kg of bread ? the same then 5 or 8 years back ?

Yes Samui is probably the most expensive place in Thailand now, which probably contributes to the decline in tourism, many places are offering the same standard of accommodation and services as 4/5 years ago and charging quadruple the prices, additionally the infrastucture has not kept pace with the development.

So why come here anymore?

Smaui is still a great place, although not what it was & it has changed a lot in 4 years..some things good...some things not so good....maybe try Trang or Prachuap Kiri Khan...up & coming places with fantastic beaches, far better links than Samui..still cheap, relatively quite but with major towns close by if you want Big C etc etc etc

Simple question for OP : how much you pay in your own country 1 kg of bread ? the same then 5 or 8 years back ?

Where is bread sold by weight?

i was thinking that, also who would but a kilo of Bread :o

I think they ment Loaf, unless they have a serious bread addiction

To be honest, I find it quite difficult to follow the OP's point.

Me too.

For what it's worth, there is a place on Lamai not far from the Pavillion that has rooms for 100 baht a night. Interestingly, the woman working there says that about two in 10 who stay there actually skip out without paying.

Yes Samui is probably the most expensive place in Thailand now, which probably contributes to the decline in tourism, many places are offering the same standard of accommodation and services as 4/5 years ago and charging quadruple the prices, additionally the infrastucture has not kept pace with the development.

So why come here anymore?

i have been nearly everywhere in thailand and i am always happy to get back to samui. i don't know why exactly but it has that island feel to it and feels like u have mroe freedome here. prices are expensive but that is the cost of living on an island. like gurnsey island off england, monico, examples all islands all more expensive than the mainland

i have been nearly everywhere in thailand and i am always happy to get back to samui. i don't know why exactly but it has that island feel to it and feels like u have mroe freedome here. prices are expensive but that is the cost of living on an island. like gurnsey island off england, monico, examples all islands all more expensive than the mainland

Do you mean Monaco? You do know that's not an island?