Pattaya Marathon

Beacher

Driving from the Sattahip area, I attempted to get into Pattaya on Sunday to do my shopping. But well ouside Pattaya, the north-bound lane was closed to accomodate the Pattaya Marathon runners. I sat in the crawling traffic for about 20 minutes and when it became apparent that it would take an exremely long time to even get to the Lotus south store, I turned around and went home.

It seemed that maybe there are about 4 or 5 people helping out with the marathon for every 1 runner. Seriously, in the 20 minutes I was crawling along Sukumvit, i saw a total of 12 runners, yet there were dozens of people and police/police cars required to cover every intersection. This got me wondering how many runners actually took part in the Pattaya Marathon and if crippling the commerce of Pattaya for the better part of a Sunday to accomodate the marathon is really in anyone's best interest.

I'm certainly not against Pattaya trying to host a world-class event (assuming that's the aspiration), it just seems that there must be many better places to set the track course instead of shutting down half of Sukhumvit Road.

Perhaps I also only saw the "tip of the iceburg" (as per the 12 lonely runners) and in fact there were hundreds or thousands participating, but i can't find any information that tells the total nimber of runners, so if someone knows please share that info.

Last year there were over 10,000. Can't tell you the numbers for this year. They start at 4.20 am to avoid the heat, so I would imagine that you caught the tail enders, but they still had to keep the road closed.

Great business for Pattaya, can't believe a local resident either

1. Didn't know about it, and

2. Is whinging about it.