Cash Stolen By Bank

Borzandy

How KASIKORNBANK stole my money.

(Location: Pattaya central road)

1- I deposited 50,000 Bath in the cash deposit machine. At 1pm.

2- The machine returns 32,000 Bath as non valid cash.

3- The machine gave a receipt for 1000 Bath.

4- So, 17,000 Bath "disappeared".

5- The staff says: Please, wait till 4 pm; we'll check the cash inside the machine.

6- At 4pm the staff opens the machine and found that everything was correct.

7- We made a report to the police and we found that several times this problem occurs with this bank.

8- The KASIKORNBANK head office in Bangkok confirmed that the money "disappeared".

This happened to me. You can be sure that you'll be the next victim.

Humm...sorry about your experience. I have used those cash deposit machines a few times (but Bangkok Bank and never for those amounts of money...3-5 thousand only) without problems. Sorry the bank didn't provide satisfaction when thei balanced the machine at the end of the day.

I guess another thing for us to keep in mind...so many I'm running out of space up there. A good reason to brave the waits and use the lines when making large deposits :o

I too once had this problem, at Bangkok bank where the machine malfunctioned. However after opening the machine my money was found and accounted for. this was for a 10,000 Baht deposit. I agree with others anything sizable merits a human deposit or wire transfer.

I must be missing something here...........I thought ATM's were for receiving money, rather than donating. I've never tried pushing my money back up the slot, but all I can say is well done for trying.

They have very complex machinery inside these machines, designed for dispensing money (I have seen inside many of them in my time). They have rather less complicated machinery designed to accept your deposits, also known as cashiers (I have seen inside many of them in my time also) :D

I believe it's a common problem in Thailand, dropping it in the wrong slot that is, but after a while here you will learn when to pull out, and when to push in.

Good luck next time :o

Well I'm a great believer in technology, an avid user of ATM's and I've recently gone live on the internet for my Thai banking, which means my financial dealings world wide are net based.

But one thing i would never, ever do, be it in the UK, elsewhere in Europe, in the USA, and certainly in Thailand, is to trust a machine to count and accept money from me. It just goes against the grain, and I would never do it.

If I have money to deposit, I'll queue up and have someone count it in front of me.

I'm sorry for the OP's loss, but it just confirms my view that trusting cash deposits to a machine is not a smart thing to do.

How KASIKORNBANK stole my money.

(Location: Pattaya central road)

1- I deposited 50,000 Bath in the cash deposit machine. At 1pm.

2- The machine returns 32,000 Bath as non valid cash.

3- The machine gave a receipt for 1000 Bath.

4- So, 17,000 Bath "disappeared".

5- The staff says: Please, wait till 4 pm; we'll check the cash inside the machine.

6- At 4pm the staff opens the machine and found that everything was correct.

7- We made a report to the police and we found that several times this problem occurs with this bank.

8- The KASIKORNBANK head office in Bangkok confirmed that the money "disappeared".

This happened to me. You can be sure that you'll be the next victim.

I believe you! And in the last few months I have been seriously reviewing my dealings with all Thai banks and their integrity standards.

In your case you lost 17,000 baht. This sum is not high enough to involve police or legal investigation.

If you were a Thai citizen, I believe you would have been refunded your money. Foreigners are recognised here as 'fair game' by bankers and police. They probably split the money on whiskey and pork down at the local Karaoke.

If you were ever to lose 100's of thousand of baht; a thorough investigation would be made and adverse publicity avoided.

My tips would be:

1. Never ever, deposit cash at a machine.

2. Only have cash in Thai banks that you can afford to lose

3. Keep a strict record of ATM withdrawals and bank balance

4. Have your main savings account without an ATM card option

5. Write in English and Thai on your savings passbook: No withdrawal without passport identity verification

6. Never use ATM's outside of retail shopping malls

7. Keep all deposit slips

Sorry for the OP's loss as well but must say that I've yet to have a problem (with exception of one of those 12-24 hour credit delays for being the last depositor before the machine went into standby mode because it's cash cartridges were all full) with any bank's cash deposit machine, and I have used them nearly every other day for the past 7-8 years.

:o

I've used SCB's cash deposit machines in BKK a couple times... always for small amounts of a few thousand baht at a time...

On their system...after you insert the bills, it tallies the total and then asks you to confirm the deposited amount..or to reject/revise it... So, if the machine miscounted your bills, you have a chance to challenge that before the transaction is completed....

Interestingly... I never saw a cash deposit ATM before I came to live in Thailand a year ago... But on my trip back to the U.S. last month, I found Bank of America had converted their ATMs in the Los Angeles area to now accept cash deposits... In the past, they only accepted checks...but not cash...

Here... SCB's cash deposit machines are separate units from their ATMs...and not all locations with ATMs also have cash deposit machines. But for BofA in the U.S., they have combined both functions into the same ATM machine.

My wife deposited 35k in the machine at our local Bangkok Bank despite my reservations about this.

As she had never used the machine the manager of the branch came over to offer her assistance.

He in fact punched in all the numbers and the amount in Baht, however instead of the receipt showing 35k it showed 3.5k.... :D:D

The manager was clearly concerned how the machine had made this error and immediately closed it down and checked the cash.

My wife's 31.5k was handed back to her in cash and she deposited it with a cashier.

Had the manager not been with her I think we would have had to wave the money goodbye... :o:D

If you were a Thai citizen, I believe you would have been refunded your money. Foreigners are recognised here as 'fair game' by bankers and police. They probably split the money on whiskey and pork down at the local Karaoke.

If you were ever to lose 100's of thousand of baht; a thorough investigation would be made and adverse publicity avoided.

My tips would be:

1. Never ever, deposit cash at a machine.

2. Only have cash in Thai banks that you can afford to lose

3. Keep a strict record of ATM withdrawals and bank balance

4. Have your main savings account without an ATM card option

5. Write in English and Thai on your savings passbook: No withdrawal without passport identity verification

6. Never use ATM's outside of retail shopping malls

7. Keep all deposit slips

8. Pay attention to cynical old farang resident tourist anti-Thai rants.

9. Propogate the myth that your smiling hosts are out to get the farang every time.

10. Repeatedly quote anecdotal evidence as proof of how dodgy farang life in Thailand is.

never had a problem myself and have used Cash Deposit Machines in Thailand, Hong Kong and Malaysia - main difference being that whilst Thailand uses cash management companies for collection of cash and re-filling of machines i believe that they do not out source the actual complete management of the ATM network. This may change in the future.

Never had a problem - I use Bangkok Bank every month to withdraw cash from my UK account and then immediately re-deposit into my Bangkok Bank account using the machines in Carrefour or Lotus. A strange practice I know but it keeps me happy :o and I kid myself it helps with my visa at the annual renewal! :D

We have been depositing weekend takings from our petrol station in the cash deposit machines for a few years.

Never had a problem other than re-jected bank notes, and an attempted / abborted hold up. :o

OP is sure he retrieved all the re-jected notes and they weren't at the forward side of the receptacle, away from the rollers?

I tried to make a withdrawal at TMB Bank ATM recently - whilst it gave me a receipt, it did NOT give me my money! I was stood there for a minute trying to work out how drunk I was.

Luckily I held onto the receipt, took it to the branch the next day and they acknowledged the 'error', gave me my money - fair play to them.

There is a reasonable explanation for the unaccounted for funds.

All machines of this type are well designed and tested before they ever come into mass production.

The accounting audit trail and error logs of that particular machine may need to be checked by the System Service Engineer but I can guarantee the bank is not trying to steal anything from anyone

:D:o

There is a reasonable explanation for the unaccounted for funds.

All machines of this type are well designed and tested before they ever come into mass production.

The accounting audit trail and error logs of that particular machine may need to be checked by the System Service Engineer but I can guarantee the bank is not trying to steal anything from anyone

:D:o

How about the service engineers? :D

Sorry for the double post. I am having a lot of net issues today

If it is in some way related to the engineers that could be figured also so again it would be another explanation.

Between the machines logs and the networks logs there is little room for stealing unless you really have a huge conspiracy between all the parties involved. Highly unlikely

Been there done that

Just a related note. If one used a non-Thai bank and wired your money there, you would of course first have to change your cash from baht into something you can wire. Etrade bank, will NOT accept Money orders for deposit ( in case you tried to mail it), and Etrade Bank will not accept Western Union Wire Transfers! True true true. I have been with them for years and recently tried it and I still have $1400 USD floating around the US mail system some where from two Money Orders. While yelling vehemently at an Etrade representative, he pointed out that they do not accept the Western Union Wire transfers either.

Never had a problem - I use Bangkok Bank every month to withdraw cash from my UK account and then immediately re-deposit into my Bangkok Bank account using the machines in Carrefour or Lotus. A strange practice I know but it keeps me happy :o and I kid myself it helps with my visa at the annual renewal! :D

Do you know that there is a Bangkok Bank facility in London?

Money can be transferred from London to any Bangkok Bank branch in Thailand.

The fee to transfer any amount is 16 pounds.