Hi, we live in Isaan and our monthly electric bill is about 1,600b. From the bill itself we use only 300b of electric and the rest being standing charge. Anybody know why we are paying such a high standing charge? Typical Thailand there is no telephone number on the electric bill for us to call................any help would be great, thanks

Are you sure that isn't 300 units? Cost structure is then tiered based on number of units. First x at one price, next y at another price. Somewhere around 5 baht/unit would make sense.

I'm pretty sure we don't pay a standing charge of that amount. That said I rarely look at the bills these days, as it is paid by directdebit... :o

This is one of my bills:

466 units (kW/hour) - 1202.68 Baht

another charge of ~27% which I'm not sure what it is for but is on all the bills and is about the same percentage on each - 320.89 Baht

VAT 7% - 106.65 Baht

-----------------------

Total - 1630.22 Baht

//edit - I looked up the label on the 2nd charge and it says บาท/หน่วย which is baht/unit which doesn't quite make sense.

Hi just had a quick look at my bill, i think we should be charged about the same as i,m in Roi Et.

My units used = 339 but there is no unit breakdown just a charge of 836.67 baht this i work out as 2.468 baht per unit

Then theres this secound charge baht/unit ???????? it shows a charge of 0.6285 baht per unit on the bill charge = 213.06 baht.

Then there's the VAT @7% = 73.48 baht.

836.67 + 213.06 = 1049.73 + VAT of 73.48 total bill = 1123.21. total per unit = 3.313 baht pritty cheap compared to back home

So i,m not sure what the 2nd charge is but may be it as something to do with a standing charge?

Hi just had a quick look at my bill, i think we should be charged about the same as i,m in Roi Et.

My units used = 339 but there is no unit breakdown just a charge of 836.67 baht this i work out as 2.468 baht per unit

Then theres this secound charge baht/unit ???????? it shows a charge of 0.6285 baht per unit on the bill charge = 213.06 baht.

Then there's the VAT @7% = 73.48 baht.

836.67 + 213.06 = 1049.73 + VAT of 73.48 total bill = 1123.21. total per unit = 3.313 baht pritty cheap compared to back home

So i,m not sure what the 2nd charge is but may be it as something to do with a standing charge?

You pay the standard charges per units, Ft (fuel tarriff) charges + 7% VAT.

Standard tariff ????????

So does that mean you can join other more suitable tariffs as in the UK ?

No you cant, I just researched quick about the FT charge so i could be wrong, best to post a thread on real estate and housing forum for a quick response!

I dont wanna hear any complaints from you people! I pay 7 baht per unit thanks to my thieving landlord..... my freaking bill is about 7000 baht a month!!! More than HALF my actual RENT! All I can do is move out if I dont like it.....

I dont wanna hear any complaints from you people! I pay 7 baht per unit thanks to my thieving landlord..... my freaking bill is about 7000 baht a month!!! More than HALF my actual RENT! All I can do is move out if I dont like it.....

He's not theiving, he is earning money.

If i was your landlord i would charge you the same, This is thailand, nothing is free my friend. Its all about the money!

Second charge is probably ft = fuel charge. Ft is to allow the utility to recover the price it pays for natural gas, coal, oil, etc that it uses for generating electricity. Most utilities have their rates strictly monitered by the government and a ft allows the utility to recover the fluctuating price of fuel while not -hopefully- overcharging.

Hope this helps,

Lance

Hi, we live in Isaan and our monthly electric bill is about 1,600b. From the bill itself we use only 300b of electric and the rest being standing charge. Anybody know why we are paying such a high standing charge? Typical Thailand there is no telephone number on the electric bill for us to call................any help would be great, thanks

We also live in Isaan in a 3 bed detached. No air but computer, fans, lights and a TV are on nearly all day - every day. We rarely get a bill over 700baht. The comments about your landlord doubling up is probably the main reason. Check if your meter is direct to your supply.

Not sure this helps, it's from memory (!), I think there is a stepped rate per unit used; so your first 100 units (?) are charged at X Baht each, the next 100 units at Y Baht each then over that consumption Z Baht per unit. Something like that.

I remember a thread here some time ago talking about biggest/smallest bill per month - there might be more info in there.

Two bed house with air etc. 1,200B per month.

Ok I will try one more time to upload 3 files that i believe will help anyone understand there electric bill calculation.

My bills are always in the range of 3.40 baht per KWH. This includes the fuel adjjustment charges that can change month to month.

PEA_Ft_Charge.docCondition_of_Electricity_Tariffs.doc

PEA_Electric_rates.pdf

:D:o

What's the difference how they figure the bill. If you are billed direct, a KWH will cost about three and a half baht. If you are renting, you can figure the landlord will get his divvy too. Some charge up to double and in isolated cases, I have heard of ignorant renters paying up to ten baht per KWH. That's one thing renters should know before they rent.

Gary A--------I whole heartedly agree with you about "what's the difference how they figure the bill"

I was trying to satisfy the poster with some answer that he can live with.

In my real opinion anyone that is worried about the "bill" be it electric or water should learn how to read their meter(if they have access to it) and figure out what they are paying. And make adjustments in their life if it's too much.

Those that are held hostage by a landlord and the sometimes exorbitant upcharge should move if they don't like it. At the very least they should demand to see the meter reading from their apartment or condo and learn to calculate what they use versus what they pay.

As you say, residential users here in LOS pay about 3.5 baht per unit(KWH) direct billing. If you get a payment slip showing you owe "X" amount to your landlord then ask how many units you used on your room and FIGURE IT OUT! And do it every month so you have some idea if you're being ripped a new one or not. So knowing this as a minimum anyone out there should not have to ask here "what is "normal" or how much do "you" pay?