Foreigner Beaten Unconscious Following Drunken

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya One News: July 21st 2008

Foreigner beaten unconscious following drunken incident in Soi 8 Beer Bar.

On Saturday Night, Tourist Police were called to the front of Soi 8 on Pattaya Beach Road following reports that a foreign man had been attacked and was lying unconscious on the ground.

A Sawang Boriboon Rescue Unit was called to the location to attend to the 37 year old foreign man, who, according to accounts from witnesses, was causing a major disturbance in a beer bar located in Soi 8.

He was drunk and was using foul language towards staff in the bar. A physical altercation then took place and the man was thought to have attacked staff with empty bottles.

A group of Thai men then proceeded to attack him as he attempted to leave the bar. Police are waiting for the man to recover and they will then listen to his side of the story before taking the case any further.

Photograph of drunken, threatening farang courtesy of Pattaya One News

post-26634-1216647336_thumb.jpg

Red shirt! Very angry color, could this be Indicative of his intended demeanor? Maybe all he got was instant street justice for behaving badly? Who knows?

I've said it before, and I guess I'll say it again. If you go looking for trouble in Pattaya, you're sure to find it (and probably more than you can handle at that).

Even more true if you actually start the trouble.

I'm sure when this guy wakes up, his story will be the epitome of innocence, and he the hapless victim.

Surely this bar has the properly installed and mandated CCTV cameras, which the police could use to verify what really happened ? :o

I dare say it was out of service that night. :o

That's odd, they always seem to be in service when you are up dancing on the bar (at Jennys that is) ! P.gif

(5 and a wakie to go !) :D

Go and get pis*ed in the cess pit of the world and you will surely in time be treated to a 'knawing' by the rats of the region.

Not making light of the guy's predicament but Pattaya is a breeding ground for the worst kind of farang and thai - expecting some backlash from the more wholesome members of TV but who would ever live or go to P'Ya if they havent been there before?

Go and get pis*ed in the cess pit of the world and you will surely in time be treated to a 'knawing' by the rats of the region.

Not making light of the guy's predicament but Pattaya is a breeding ground for the worst kind of farang and thai - expecting some backlash from the more wholesome members of TV but who would ever live or go to P'Ya if they havent been there before?

'its a friendly place, I write to anonymous people on thai visa all the time - i like the place for w/e break but for those who choose to live there I think why? (ladies??) No culture, a hard job to find any non tourist restaurants, but plenty of bars though!!!!

I do like the ocassional dalliance in Pattaya but to live there must take either a world class S tourist or for those who choose to stay there with their wives, girlfriends etc - call me old fashioned but how do you deal with that every day? (if you live there)

Thats easy your just so far out, your not bothered by the low life scum and have a palace to live in for the price of a 1 bedroom apt in CDB Bangkok. Not exactly rocket science I would have thought - and seemingly not with the amount of people who take the same approach and burden Pattaya's doorstep just to go to Foodland etc.

Pattaya is a cess pit, but go about 15-20 mins outside and all is good (at least as far as I am concerned)

Red shirt! Very angry color, could this be Indicative of his intended demeanor? Maybe all he got was instant street justice for behaving badly? Who knows?
Looks like a Man U supporter to me, serves him right ! :D

So anyone wearing a red tee shirt is a Man U supporter? No other teams anywhere in the world play in red? :o

By that logic a dark blue shirt condems him as Chelsea trash and white puts him in the Tottenham camp.

Following this logic what would be your verdict had he been wearing yellow? :D

I sense we have a patent ThaiVisa method of judgment based on clothing, much easier and quicker than reading the facts. :D

So anyone wearing a red tee shirt is a Man U supporter? No other teams anywhere in the world play in red? :o

By that logic a dark blue shirt condems him as Chelsea trash and white puts him in the Tottenham camp.

I sense we have a patent ThaiVisa method of judgment based on clothing, much easier and quicker than reading the facts. :D

Hmmmm, I sense a common tie there. Anyone from the UK, wearing a coloured shirt, must be a football (soccer) fan, and is therefore most likely a hooligan ? :D

What about the ones wandering around with no shirts ? Glasgow supporters ? :D

'its a friendly place, I write to anonymous people on thai visa all the time - i like the place for w/e break but for those who choose to live there I think why? (ladies??) No culture, a hard job to find any non tourist restaurants, but plenty of bars though!!!!

I do like the ocassional dalliance in Pattaya but to live there must take either a world class S tourist or for those who choose to stay there with their wives, girlfriends etc - call me old fashioned but how do you deal with that every day? (if you live there)

Here we go again, another Pattaya bashing.

Those of you who have 'visited' are probably far worse than any of the residents. All you have seen is Walking St and beach road, you know nothing about the place (other than the ho's and/ or katoeys you employed on your dalliances).

There are some very nice and exclusive developments in Pattaya, the place is a big city for gawds sake, not just Walking St. Sure there are plenty of lowlifes here, but they generally don't last long. There are also plenty of respectable, well to do expats.

My parents (72 and 69 years old) have visited, and loved the place, as did my brother, his wife, and 11 year old niece. It's not hard to avoid the seedy areas, by your logic should we judge Bangkok by Kao Sarn and Soi Cowboy???

Anyway, rant over and back on topic, this guy is lucky to only be unconcious. Unconciousness rarely stops a Thai beating when you have been a dick, they normally want entrails/ brains displayed before they cease and desist.

Most of the people who are quick to judge Pattaya, only know the areas catering to the tourists, that is to say south pattaya to Naklua. As, what has been said before a short drive out of town and you have nothing to do with the scene and never encounter it. I was surprised myself when someone, who has lived in Pattaya city for 4 yrs came to my house to collect his gear....He couldn't believe the quietness and normalcy of the place...and he didn't know how to get back over to sukhumvit( nor could he find his way to my house!). This from someone who lives in a condo in central pattaya. It is therefore fair to say, that most of you one time visitors who are confined to the tourist ghettos, do not have a clear vision of what Pattaya offers for us longtimers. Life is quite pleasant and peaceful on the darkside and if there is anything we need from Pattaya it is only 15 mins away...good dining, hospitals, many supermarkets, entertainment etc....

Wotcher lads! Richie is responding to his own posts again.

Regarding the last question, if you need an explanation for that, you probably wouldn't understand anyway.

Looks like a Man U supporter to me, serves him right ! :D

ITS A JOKE PHIL :( .as it happens im not a football supporter, never have liked fighting,.make love not war :D .

Place the same behaviour of this lad in any city in the world and the result will be the same, I guaranteed he would take a beating 99.9% of the time.

As far as Patters goes, you want trouble you will find it. Rest of us who know better will quietly drink in peace. :o

Edited by britmaveric

Hope he has a whopping big bill at hospital.

Why are you such a dikc, the por guy may have done nothing wrong. One day you might just become a victim of crime here and i am sure you will be looking for support and sympathy, :o

Yes I agree. We don't know yet what happened. Too many people here too quick to condem the poor guy, immediately believing the Thai bar people (and we all know they would never lie about a thing like this). It's a gutless act committed by the Thais on this guy as it would be if it had happened anywhere in the world. And even if the man in question did say/gesture something wrong a beating like this is over the top. Oh and I won't let it slide, your comment Heng (if that's what it was) means what exactly? You wish you were there to put a bit of boot in maybe?

Oh and I won't let it slide, your comment Heng (if that's what it was) means what exactly? You wish you were there to put a bit of boot in maybe?

Golly gosh, you won't let it slide? :o

My comment was in reference to those who are quick to comment that being on the disadvantaged side of numbers, technology, weight, etc. in combat is somehow unfair or poor sportsmanship. These folks are confusing professional sports with combat.

It's (one side having more, better, smarter: tactics, equipment, logistics, and so forth) been an inherent part of battle and I dare say nearly all battlefields since the beginning of time. Labels or courage or cowardice are just marketing and spin.

:D

We will probably never hear the other side of the story anyways.

In any event, it's hardly likely he'd tell the truth anyways. If he did what was mentioned in the news article, do you think he'd actually stand up and admit it to the police, knowing he'd most likely be charged and sent to Thai prison for assault ?

So, "his" side of the story will probably be that he was quietly sitting at the bar, minding his own business, when suddenly a group of Thais, aided by the bar staff, suddenly decided to attack him for no reason ?

Yeah. That's believable. Happens all the time, right ?

NOT !

It would probably be the first time I've ever heard of such an event, where a group of Thais just randomly kicked the crap out of some guy minding his own business in a bar.

I'll bet the reason so many here are quick to condemn the guy, is that they've heard this story before, dozens and dozens (and dozens) of times. Farang (or farangs) get drunk in a bar, pick a fight/start some trouble, get sh*t-kicked and then claim innocence.

I've seen it, and I'm sure many here have as well, the way some people act, especially when they get liquored up. There are times when I'm actually surprised that someone hasn't gotten the crap beat out of them for the way they act. Back in their home countries they would have probably found themselves getting up close and personal with some beefy bouncers on their way to being dumped in a trash can.

But in Thailand ? Not too many bars have bouncers.

Maybe makes some yobs feel a little braver when there isn't 250 pounds of ugly standing at the door, looking for an excuse to do a 2 step tattoo on their head.

I think there are too many people here who automatically jump to the defense of a farang, regardless of the circumstances. I also think there are too many who seem to think that the almighty farang should be allowed to do things, or act in a manner that wouldn't be acceptable in their home country, but should be allowed in Thailand for some reason.

But then again, maybe some of these people come from countries where abusing bar staff and throwing bottles at them (if that is what he did do) is acceptable behaviour ?

And what's with people thinking that, if the guy did what was mentioned, that the proper response should have been that 1 other person should have stepped up and challenged him to a 1 on 1, Queensbury rules, fisticuffs match ? :D

Where does that ever happen outside of a movie ? Not anywhere I've ever been (and yes, that includes 4+ years in Europe, and many more years in Canada and the US, nice "civilized" places, before/during/after my 20+ years in the army).

Maybe some people should lobby the UN to amend the Geneva Convention, so that in the event a farang is on holiday in a foreign country, and for whatever reason ends up in an altercation (with other farangs or indigenous locals), that he may only be engaged in a fight when the opponent is the same size (or smaller preferably), and that no others may involved in the altercation (unless they are on the same side as the farang tourist), regardless of any actions or provocations on the part of the tourist.

Or maybe, some people will just have to start accepting the fact that more often than not, the "victim" of incidents such as this tend to have brought the trouble down on their own head.

But gees, who knows ? Maybe this will be the first time in over 15 years I've heard of someone in Thailand getting the crap kicked out of him for the heinous crime of quietly minding his own business while drinking in a bar ?

They do say that the truth is often stranger than fiction. :o

So, "his" side of the story will probably be that he was quietly sitting at the bar, minding his own business, when suddenly a group of Thais, aided by the bar staff, suddenly decided to attack him for no reason ?

Back in their home countries they would have probably found themselves getting up close and personal with some beefy bouncers on their way to being dumped in a trash can.

And what's with people thinking that, if the guy did what was mentioned, that the proper response should have been that 1 other person should have stepped up and challenged him to a 1 on 1, Queensbury rules, fisticuffs match ? :o

Where does that ever happen outside of a movie ? Not anywhere I've ever been (and yes, that includes 4+ years in Europe, and many more years in Canada and the US, nice "civilized" places, before/during/after my 20+ years in the army).

Maybe some people should lobby the UN to amend the Geneva Convention, so that in the event a farang is on holiday in a foreign country, and for whatever reason ends up in an altercation (with other farangs or indigenous locals), that he may only be engaged in a fight when the opponent is the same size (or smaller preferably), and that no others may involved in the altercation (unless they are on the same side as the farang tourist), regardless of any actions or provocations on the part of the tourist.

Oi, *nice hearty chuckle*

:D

Whatever the guy did doens't justify the beating he got.

It could be you next time and it could well be over something very minor indeed.

You need to be very careful in Thailand and Pattaya in particular about getting too drunk in public.

There are just way too many opportunitsts out there looking to take adavantage out of any situation.

Being overly drunk adds to the chance of getting into trouble.

A couple of things jump to mind (and one isn't that Pattaya is a cesspit). First, it seems the guy was alone and if you've ever been with a friend whose inclined to get out of hand when he's had a few too many, they can be quite hard to settle down. Could have been that some little thing--and God knows there are enough of those in the country--set him off. No friends to help him settle down and this is the result.

As somebody said, he'd have probably ended up pretty close to the same way most anywhere else. Only difference, in a lot of other places, someone would have called the police and he would have spent the night in the slammer rather than the hospital.

He may not even remember what happened.

I do hope he makes a full recovery and learns something from this.

Whatever the guy did doens't justify the beating he got.

Really? How do you know? Was it you? Attacking bar staff (girls) with bottles doesn't merit a punch? I mean 90% the guy fell over after 1 punch and knocked himself out. But no you're right, GBH, intent 7 years in gaol - is that OK?