Slight Dring When Shifting Gear 1 - 2 (and Sometimes 3)

Hoping someone here can help me figure this out, or at least point me in the right direction. I purchased a 2001 Toyota Hiace Superwagon with 85,000 kms about a month ago. The clutch felt hard, so I brought it to one of those Bridgestone A.C.T. shops and they recommended a full clutch assembly replacement (22k Baht). I was resistant, but decided to do it, as I really didn't know what needed to be done(now I regret that choice). In any case, I received it back and the clutch pedal felt great...but as I drove it more, I found a "zip" gear grind noise coming 50% of the time when I shifted from gear 1 to gear 2, and sometimes quietly when shifting gear 2 - 3. I never get the noise when down-shifting. Only up...and I never hear it on gear 4 or 5.

In any case, I've been back to A.C.T. four different times and each time they think they know what the problem is. They take it for a full day, do some stuff, and everytime I get it back...it's still the same. They claimed that one of the plates in the clutch wasn't fitting right, so they "skimmed" it (or something like that). And other times, bled the system.

After the fourth visit, I decided to give another shop a try. They said nothing is wrong with it, but this just doesn't feel right. I've Google'd the problem and think I know what it may be...but was wondering what you guys (and gals) think. In addition, can anyone recommend a decent shop that can check me out (in the Bangkok area) and really be competent? I'd really appreciate someone in Nonthaburi (where I live) but I'm willing to travel for someone really good and knows what they're doing.

sorry mate i am up in chiang mai and only 6 months of the year but an old gear head at times....

might be better off going to the jap (2nd hand) import places for a good used one. Don't know how competent somchai is on doing a rebuild replacement of synchros. While your in it you might as well do bearings etc. IMO....

sorry mate i am up in chiang mai and only 6 months of the year but an old gear head at times....

might be better off going to the jap (2nd hand) import places for a good used one. Don't know how competent somchai is on doing a rebuild replacement of synchros. While your in it you might as well do bearings etc. IMO....

Have you checked the transmission oil? It's possible that the oil has never been changed and that it could be gumming things up. Stick your finger in the filler hole and see if the oil is dirty. It should be fairly clear, if not, flush the transmission and put in new oil.

Thanks for the tip Gary. The transmission oil was drained and refilled when they did the clutch assembly replacement...and I've checked the fluid myself. It's all good there...but again, thanks for the tip.

Drain and refill the gearbox oil, thistime with the correct oil, before you start stripping the gearbox

When changing gear, push in the clutch,count to 5 then select the next gear, or try double-declutching,

Did they change the spigot bearing? an old can drag on the gearbox input shaft, The spigot bearing is in the centre of the flywheel where the clutch assembly bolts on.

If as you say the clutch feels fine then i would think they have the friction plate in the right way.

Otherwise you have got a "CITY" gearbox and the syncrho-hubs are worn up,

Cheers, Lickey.

This problem manifested itself after you/they replaced the clutch assembly, or was it there before?

The reason I ask is because if it is bad syncros, then I would imagine that you would have noticed before the clutch work.

The pressure plate may not be totally releasing the clutch itself. Reverse gear is not synchronized so to check if the clutch is releasing properly put the transmission in reverse and see if it grinds. Keep the clutch pedal depressed and take it out of reverse, wait a few seconds then put it back in reverse. You should get no grinding.

That frequently happens with a new clutch assembly and is actually normal but it should get better after you use it for a while. I used to have customers complain so I put on the parking brake and slipped the clutch for a bit to put a little glaze on the clutch facings.

Thanks Gary. Actually, after the clutch assembly was replaced, that was one of the complaints I had (either I had difficulty getting into reverse, or when I did...would get a 'clunk' or metallic grind sound. The boys @ A.C.T. took the clutch out and had something "skimmed" (maybe you know what part that would be) because they weren't "fitting nicely". When I got the van back, reverse was better off, but this 1-2-3 gear shifting issue remained. I wonder if I requested for the pressure plate to be adjusted (to let out further) if this would all go away.

Gary is prob in the right direction.

Just to add (as This is Thailand) are they the proper spec pressure plate / clutch for the vehicle? You never know here, sometime you just gotta check.

You can perform what Gary is describing yourself. He used the parking brake, but essentially you can just let the clutch slip in, say, 1st gear.

I feel for you, I really hate it when I go to get something fixed and it's not fixed... then you go back over and over... sigh... I hope you get it sorted.

Remember when you first learned to drive a manual gear, and you were revving the crap out of the engine but slowly releasing the clutch? Then you can smell your clutch burning? Well, it's the same method :o

"Riding the clutch"

or

"what you might do on a steep incline" :D

sorry for my crap explanation, I've been up all night, a bit dull at the moment... but I hope you get what I mean.

When changing gear, push in the clutch,count to 5 then select the next gear, or try double-declutching,

Did they change the spigot bearing? an old can drag on the gearbox input shaft, The spigot bearing is in the centre of the flywheel where the clutch assembly bolts on.

If as you say the clutch feels fine then i would think they have the friction plate in the right way.

Otherwise you have got a "CITY" gearbox and the syncrho-hubs are worn up, Cheers, Lickey.

Just to go over what has been said and advised:

Check that they replaced oil with the exact one that is specefied ( do not rely on dealers word that it was replaced with correct oil).

GaryA good advice.

Lickey good advice.

Certainly spigot bush/bearing check if replaced (do they have the old one - dont let them wander off to find one).

Clutch feels fine - but if clutch plate installed arse about then extended section which houses torsion springs can clip flywheel mounting bolt heads (have to hear the sound).

Synchros one would expect with todays technology city changing not a major prob more Viscosity of replacement oil.

My pick cheapest first:

1. Oil incorrect change oil under your watchful eye be prepared to pay for oil if problem not rectified.

2. Clutch plate installed incorrectly.
  3. Spigot bush/bearing not changed.