What chemical is used to get rid of insects around the home & garden

Hi I have had a firm come & spray the house & garden monthly with a chemical that keeps the beetles, ants, cockroaches  away, but he hasn't  been in a while & not able to contact, I've bought a spray bottle but so far not able to find what chemical  is used, anyone know where I can purchase such a chemical & the Chemical name, I'm in Pattaya?

• Haha 1

You want to use permethrin.  It kills fleas, ants, beetles, etc and is safe to use around humans.

Permethrin is the ingredient in dog flea treatments as well as in shampoo used to kill head lice on children.  Our HOA sprays it around the buildings 2x a year to control insects.

Of course, study-up on the concentration you will need.

3 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

You want to use permethrin.  It kills fleas, ants, beetles, etc and is safe to use around humans.

Permethrin is the ingredient in dog flea treatments as well as in shampoo used to kill head lice on children.  Our HOA sprays it around the buildings 2x a year to control insects.

Of course, study-up on the concentration you will need.

Yes, it’s really cheap and nasty - I bought some from lazada as an aphid killer and discovered it’s use on YouTube. 

Cypermethrin powder or concentrate. The most readily available and least toxic pyrethrin compounds. Cheap too. Degrades naturally by rain or UV within a few days.

I prefer the Cypermethrin EC (emulsified concentrate) at 3ml/ liter water. Easy to mix and spray.

22 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I use Chaindrite Stedfast SC 30 mixed with water at a ratio of 1:40. For me, 250 ml mixed in 10 litres of water is enough to spray the perimeter of my modest sized house. Keeps most of the crawlies out of the house. Works for me. I wouldn't use this indoors and when using my knapsack sprayer outside, I wear adequate protection (gloves, wellies, goggles etc).

Cost on Lazada is 600-900 baht for 1 litre, or buy at most big Home DIY stores.

Image1.jpg

My too. Twice a year.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Necroing this.

Using Fipronil is not recommended. Its uses are banned for most applications in the EU and some in the US.

This is because it spreads easily in water and reaches local wildlife. It's toxic to fish, aquatic invertebrates, bees, rabbits, and some birds.

Wouldn't put that around my kids or small pets.

Edited by Bons

On 8/14/2022 at 11:11 PM, Bons said:

Necroing this.

Using Fipronil is not recommended. Its uses are banned for most applications in the EU and some in the US.

This is because it spreads easily in water and reaches local wildlife. It's toxic to fish, aquatic invertebrates, bees, rabbits, and some birds.

Wouldn't put that around my kids or small pets.

Thank you! this is good advice.  Fipronil is a highly effective termiticide but should only be used in closed systems, eg., subsurface soil injection systems.  It should not be used in open soil, open air spray applications. 

Permethrin and other pyrethroids (bifenthrin, cypermethrin, alpha-cypermethrin, imiprothrin) are considered "least toxic" and safer than the older generation insecticides (organophosphates, chlorinated hydrocarbons, and carbamates), but pyrethroids are not totally harmless, they can and do present some health hazards and environmental contamination. Use conservatively only as necessary, keep kids and pets away until spray substance dries, and follow Mutt Daeng's wise advise on using PPEs when mixing, handling and spraying.  

Chaindrite Stedfast 30 is bifenthrin active ingredient, one of the more powerful pyrethroids with longer residual effectiveness than most, up to one year. Twice a year applications is probably adequate control for most situations. Chaindrite Crack and Crevice aerosol or Baygon equivalent, is useful for conservative spot spraying with a spout. 

Insecticidal soap, and ant chalk are useful for some situations. 

There are organic program options, botanicals like neem seed oil extract, rosemary and clove and other essential oils, but the problem is that they have limited residual effectiveness (that's why they are organic program compatible, less persistent in the environment) so more frequent applications are needed, like every two weeks.  

Sanitation and exclusion are important components of IPM, integrated pest management.  Clean up pest food sources, don't feed them and they won't come. Close the door, screen the windows, fill cracks and gaps in entry routes. Birds, lizards, cats, snakes, predatory insects, parasitoid mini-wasps and some other critters and microbes are important biological control agents. Don't kill them off with indecriminate pesticide spraying, like with fipronil. 

• Like 2