Marriage Visa Age Raised To Prevent Forced Marriages

Hi,

They will make up heir bloody minds one day! I saw a posting here yesterday from Buffcoat stating that the Governement is scrapping the engish language requirement before the spose visa can be issued.

Today the government issue the document you have posted which states they will ASK the spose to enter an agreement regarding the english language....So when the spouse asks "am I legally required to sign this agreement and if not ( as appears the case) what will be the effect to my application if I refuse to sign it", the spouse will be told what?

I suspect they wil be told not signing cannot legally afect the outcome of the application, all smoke and mirrors to try to con the public that thery are being tough on immigration as ususal.

Roy gsd

Edited by roygsd

The HO doc states that they will "raise the age of sponsorship for a marriage visa from 18 to 21". So does that mean that whilst legally able to marry in or out of the UK 18 a sponser cant sponser his wife to come back to the UK until he is 21. Is that practical or legal? When the age to marry and the age to sponser matched it made sense but now isnt is discrimination based on age.

Also if the sponser age limit to get a fiancee visa for your fiancee is 18 and you are suposed to marry in the uk within the 6 month period. Does that then mean that your wife would be automatically be kicked out because the husband could be 21.

That Jackie Smith sure is one dumb ar*ed sh*t.

:o

The HO doc states that they will "raise the age of sponsorship for a marriage visa from 18 to 21". So does that mean that whilst legally able to marry in or out of the UK 18 a sponser cant sponser his wife to come back to the UK until he is 21. Is that practical or legal? When the age to marry and the age to sponser matched it made sense but now isnt is discrimination based on age.

Also if the sponser age limit to get a fiancee visa for your fiancee is 18 and you are suposed to marry in the uk within the 6 month period. Does that then mean that your wife would be automatically be kicked out because the husband could be 21.

That Jackie Smith sure is one dumb ar*ed sh*t.

:o

Hi,

Thats a fair reflection of my view of policians in general.

Quite rightly the government should do more to safeguard the welfare of young people, however it seems that in their rush to do something to stop or at least reduce the incidence of young peolple being forced into arranged marrages they have failed to give sufficient consideration to the impact this will have to those that fall withing this age group who are not involved in an arranged marrage.

I suspect the lawyers will very well out of this with many Human Rights case's going to the EU Court, what I dont understand is why politicians and the civil servants who come up with these proposals consistently fail to step back and look at these matters from a different angle for a change.

On the topic of the legality of introducing legislation that removes entitlements that were previously available upon reaching the legal age of Adulthood (18) the government has already had this challenged in the Courts and won the day, I refer to the increase in age in relation to the Housing Benefit Sytem that has been in force for some time now.

From experience you are just as likely to make mistakes at 18 as you are at 21, or I suspect even at the age of 81 for that matter.

Have to wait and see what developes.

Roy gsd

Edited by roygsd

"what I dont understand is why politicians and the civil servants who come up with these proposals consistently fail to step back and look at these matters from a different angle for a change".

Three reasons :

1) they have their heads so far into the expensives trough that they dont care.

2) they are cruising to an almighty crushing defeat at the next election so these steps are panic policies.

3) they are not actually that smart in the first place.

4) all of the above.

A friend of mine works for a labour back bencher. She overheard a conversation that explained why the last vote in the house, to make MP's expenses more transparent was defeated by the said MP's. Well inside word on this it that they all feel that they will be on the opposite benches next time so they need to make as much money as they can whilst they are in power. Based on this through the key hole view do you really think our masters have a fragment of concience as to how there policies affect the public................i dont think so!.

Id sent them all to hel_l. 2 faced bunch of hypocrites. :o

• 4 months later...

Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules HC 1113 - November 2008:

85. In paragraph 277, delete “18” and substitute ”21”.

86. In paragraph 289AA, delete “18” and substitute “21”.

87. In paragraph 295AA, delete “18” and substitute “21”.

6.33 In order to ensure, as far as possible, consistency in the way that that spouses, fiancé(e)s, civil partners, proposed civil partners, unmarried and same-sex partners are treated under the Immigration Rules, the raising of the age from 18 to 21 has been applied to civil partners, proposed civil partners, unmarried and same-sex partners as well as to spouses and fiancé(e)s.

6.34 If a person has already (at the time the change comes into effect) been granted entry clearance or leave as a spouse, civil partner, fiancé(e), proposed civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner, he or she will not be prevented because he or she may be aged under 21 from applying for, and, if appropriate, being granted settlement.

Living in the UK as a spouse or partner:

As a limited concession, the change in minimum age to 21 will apply only to cases where the UK-based sponsor is present and settled in the UK, or is being admitted for settlement on the same occasion as the applicant.

The minimum age of 18 will continue to apply to sponsors and their partners in those cases where the stay of a sponsor is subject to a time-limit (for example, students, work permit holders).

One premise for the change was to prevent forced marriages... However, they've also applied it to unmarried or same-sex partners (295AA) ???

• 2 years later...