Visa Type Help

Hello all!

My friend and I are travelling to Thailand for vacation and to volunteer for a little bit. We are from Canada and will be in Thailand for apprx. 75 days... after the 75 days we want to travel to Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam for about 1.5 months and then return to Thailand for a few nights before flying home to Canada.

I am very confused as to what Visa rules to follow.. do we just get a 60 day tourist visa here then when we get there extend for 30 days? Do we have to apply for another Visa to re-enter Thailand after we go to Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam?

Thank you so much for your help!

Ryan & Amelia

Hello all!

My friend and I are travelling to Thailand for vacation and to volunteer for a little bit. We are from Canada and will be in Thailand for apprx. 75 days... after the 75 days we want to travel to Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam for about 1.5 months and then return to Thailand for a few nights before flying home to Canada.

I am very confused as to what Visa rules to follow.. do we just get a 60 day tourist visa here then when we get there extend for 30 days? Do we have to apply for another Visa to re-enter Thailand after we go to Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam?

Thank you so much for your help!

Ryan & Amelia

You can do what you have said, and on re-entry just get a 30 day visa exempt stamp (no need to apply for this, you will get it automatically at the airport/ border).

You will get alot of responses telling you that it is illegal to do any volunteer work without a work permit. This is technically correct, however for the short time that you will be here I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hope you both have a great time.

Be aware that you can not legally work without a work permit and you can not obtain a work permit on a tourist visa. So if official paperwork is provided a non immigrant O visa entry valid for 90 day stay should be used.

For visit only tourist visa fits - stamp for 60 days and extend for 30 days. On return from travel you can obtain 30 day visa exempt entry for flight.

First try to get double entry visa from Canada if you can, and that will give you the ability to stay 60 days each and can extend it in Thailand for another 30 days each, however one entry will serve you for 60 days and then you can run to a nearby border and get free 30 days visa exemption stamp. You can do that 3 times during a six month period.

Good luck

Bishop

A single entry tourist visa will be enough for 60 days. Can then extend it for another 30 days.

When you return you will get the 30 days stamp.

And Yes it would be illegal to do volunteer work without a work permit. Up to you.