Good Massages And Masseurs

Ijustwannateach

I go to some of the more respectable massage places occasionally for Thai massage or foot massage [i'm specifically not interested in talking about the dodgy places- that's why I'm posting here under health]. Here are a bunch of generalizations about whether a place is good or not:

Good signs:

1. Women are better at it than men (I'm gay, so this isn't necessarily an "obvious" point).

2. The short, stout, slightly over-the-hill women are the best (for me, anyway- I like massage by someone with very strong hands.

3. You can tell fairly early on in a massage whether the worker is competent or not by whether they go ahead and lift up your feet to position them by themselves (like they should) or if they seem to push your feet a little and wait for you to move them (I never do).

4. If the place is located a bit off the main street, the price should be lower accordingly.

5. Your masseur/masseuse smiles and acts relaxed, not upset or annoyed that you've come.

6. Your masseur/masseuse asks once in a while if you're doing all right, and notices when you're either enjoying it or grimacing in pain.

7. I like the little things that make massage more enjoyable: a little bit of back scratching, popping the joints of the fingers/toes, that "pop-pop-pop" thing they do when they've finished any particular part of the body.

Bad signs:

1. Extended absences to get towels, go to the bathroom, etc.

2. I haven't been impressed by my experience of blind masseurs.

3. If the place caters to farang and doesn't have some extra-large uniforms to change into.

4. Aggressively cruisy or flirty masseuses/masseurs who either try to date you or grope you [for a fee, of course].

5. Overly talky types, either trying too hard to chat with you or with surrounding coworkers while you're sitting there trying to relax

6. Weak, namby-pamby hands

7. Overly strong massage with no sensitivity for the difference in parts of the body (for example, the difference between the back of the legs and the back of the neck)

8. Masseurs/masseuses who cheat you on the time

9. Masseurs/masseuses who ASK for a tip [or ask for more than you give them]. Incidentally, I typically tip 50-75 baht for a foot massage, and about 100/hr for Thai massage.

Any other ideas/comments?

"Steven"

Good observations about the good and bad signs to look for.

I have been pleased with Nuch massage on Sukhumvit Soi 24, just across from the Emporium. I generally go for the foot massage (baht 250 for 1 hour), after 10 visits, one free.

In spite of the location, it is a fairly non-descript, low key type of place. Lots of Japanese customers and also farang, in addition to Thais. I think it meets most of the good signs you mentioned and not many (if any at all) of the bad. It is also convenient to park the car in Emporium (if I can find a space!) or use BTS to get there.

Isn't there a Wat in bangkok that teaches Traditional Thai Massage??    I had visited one last time I was in bangkok and remember seeing a sign that said that.  My wife told me I could get massage for five US dollars.  :o

It's called what Po and is the acknowledged center for thai massage. They train people in the art as well. Very good but also very busy.

Ask another member for best times of visit, i don't remember anymore :D