A Farewell To Pattaya: More People To Leave?

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya Mail: July 25th-July 31st Edition

From MailBag

Farewell Pattaya

Dear Editor,

My wife and I have been visiting Pattaya and the rest of the Kingdom for the last ten years. Sadly, the levels of greed, early closing times, prejudice directed at farangs, police indifference, crimes against persons and raising prices with reduced service have helped make our decision to go elsewhere for our holidays.

I can’t say that all is bad in the Kingdom. Issan is a kinder, gentler place, but lacks the ocean sea-breezes, shopping, dining and “lights of the big city” that attracts us to Pattaya. Koh Samui and Phuket are nice, but captive and pricey to get to.

I’ve yet to figure out why a government that relies so heavily of tourism cannot grasp the concept that competition from surrounding countries is a reality.

With that thought, we say farewell to Thailand and we will cherish the fond memories of our Thai friends and experiences from holidays past.

Goodbye Thailand. Our money is going elsewhere.

Ben and Ruth Martinez

• Like 1

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today is Friday and all of the traffic was heading out of town. So, I think that a massive amount of folks are going to join you.

I think that everyone is sick of the crime and high costs to live in the filthy, dangerous environment and will eventually leave too.

Could not agree more, but if you believe all the real estate people in the area, Pattaya is a terrific place just 30 mins from Suvarnabhumi (didn't know that they meant that slogan for all those wishing to leave)

I go there every couple of years and each time I ask myself why?

Have been to Pattaya 3 times in last 5 years, its not my cup of tea but i never felt it was dangerous,well no more than rest of the world,i feel that people are living in the past too much, am very happy here in Issan Land,Pattaya exspensive?Beleive me you spend more money here than Patters :D:o

SOURCE: Pattaya Mail: July 25th-July 31st Edition

From MailBag

Farewell Pattaya

Dear Editor,

My wife and I have been visiting Pattaya and the rest of the Kingdom for the last ten years. Sadly, the levels of greed, early closing times, prejudice directed at farangs, police indifference, crimes against persons and raising prices with reduced service have helped make our decision to go elsewhere for our holidays.

I can’t say that all is bad in the Kingdom. Issan is a kinder, gentler place, but lacks the ocean sea-breezes, shopping, dining and “lights of the big city” that attracts us to Pattaya. Koh Samui and Phuket are nice, but captive and pricey to get to.

I’ve yet to figure out why a government that relies so heavily of tourism cannot grasp the concept that competition from surrounding countries is a reality.

With that thought, we say farewell to Thailand and we will cherish the fond memories of our Thai friends and experiences from holidays past.

Goodbye Thailand. Our money is going elsewhere.

Ben and Ruth Martinez

one bad mcdonalds double cheese burger, followed by, no refund, and laughing staff, and 10 years fun gone???

see ya!!

Too bad they were too lame to find Cha Am or Hua Hin or Krabi. Good riddance. Whinging whiners not welcome.

Don't misunderstand. I think Pattaya is an open sewer too but it serves it purpose.

So does Patpong but who would want to go there either.

It is a good thing that most of the incoming folks, Russians and Middle Eaterners don't follow these threads....they seem to be all too happy to buy 20 million baht homes and sky boxes in Pattaya. ??

Simply shift your allegiance from westerners (too smart and understand what is going on here) and invite the fresh folks here that don't know the secrets. Why do think they stripped all of the visas away from westerners, but opened the visa door for the newbies??

It is a good thing that most of the incoming folks, Russians and Middle Eaterners don't follow these threads....they seem to be all too happy to buy 20 million baht homes and sky boxes in Pattaya. ??

Simply shift your allegiance from westerners (too smart and understand what is going on here) and invite the fresh folks here that don't know the secrets. Why do think they stripped all of the visas away from westerners, but opened the visa door for the newbies??

because there is no accounting for taste, class, manners, personal hygiene?

Today is Friday and all of the traffic was heading out of town. So, I think that a massive amount of folks are going to join you.

I think that everyone is sick of the crime and high costs to live in the filthy, dangerous environment and will eventually leave too.

Ive never had the desire to visit Pattaya having read so many stories about the place on this forum.I can only think that only the depraved,alcoholic,and perverted could enjoy some kind of existence there....and of course,the suicidal,who do seem to be drawn there in some numbers.

I appreciate that many have said that away from the centre it can be very enjoyable,but,for me,the greater the distance away,the more perferable it would be.

Agree Pattaya is a Sh*t hole, yes like an open sewer, with a sea no one can swim in, dirty beaches, unrepaired roads, drugged up Thais and crime on the rise, plus nothing to do in the day except walk around overpriced shopping centers.

It is only saved by being a town full of and the way the prices are going they are in danger of pricing themselves out of the market.

Ive never had the desire to visit Pattaya having read so many stories about the place on this forum.I can only think that only the depraved,alcoholic,and perverted could enjoy some kind of existence there....and of course,the suicidal,who do seem to be drawn there in some numbers.

I appreciate that many have said that away from the centre it can be very enjoyable,but,for me,the greater the distance away,the more perferable it would be.

You sure know how to insult the thousands upon thousand of good, clean living people, farang and Thai, who for a whole host of different reasons have made Pattaya their home.

And that from a person who's never been there.

<edit : Where are you currently living? Ever even been to Thailand?>

Edited by PhilHarries

I can only think that only the depraved,alcoholic,and perverted could enjoy some kind of existence there.......

I have never been so insulted in the whole of my life.

I feel really sickened and offended that someone should have the bare faced ordacity of accusing decent upstanding citizens who reside in Pattaya of such vice.

This really makes my blood boil, and this specimen has never even visited Pattaya in person?

I have lived in Pattaya for five years, and I too got sick of it all and now have moved to Korat. People much nicer, cost of living lower, good resturaunts, and Pubs. The only thing missing is the sea which I never went in to begin with. Has swimming pools in Korat, and everything else that Pattaya has except a Carefour which will probably have within a year or so.

Barry

Could not agree more, but if you believe all the real estate people in the area, Pattaya is a terrific place just 30 mins from Suvarnabhumi (didn't know that they meant that slogan for all those wishing to leave)

I go there every couple of years and each time I ask myself why?

not everybody owns an helicopter like you :o

Libya115 I have to agree. It’s shocking someone should make a comment like that.

Afterall your daily posts from those leading Pattaya newspapers inform all and sundry just how wonderful and safe your fine city is.

I can only think that only the depraved,alcoholic,and perverted could enjoy some kind of existence there.......

I feel really sickened and offended that someone should have the bare faced ordacity of accusing decent upstanding citizens who reside in Pattaya of such vice.

This really makes my blood boil, and this specimen has never even visited Pattaya in person?

libya sorry mate, i think he was talking about me!

I have never been so insulted in the whole of my life. I feel really sickened and offended that someone should have the bare faced ordacity of accusing decent upstanding citizens who reside in Pattaya of such vice. This really makes my blood boil, and this specimen has never even visited Pattaya in person?

c'mon Libya! a like Gennisis is able to insult you? :o

I read the letter the op posted and the related one also quoted by someone from the newest Pattaya Mail. While some of the points they make are certainly valid, I think many are also beyond the point. First off, Pattaya is many things to many people. For many, it is and will always be, a holiday destination for "R&R" and nothing more. For others, it's a holiday destination for great and inexpensive courses. It is also a scuba diving destination. Operators have told me that the total takings for dive operators in Pattaya rival the total takings of Phuket! For others, it is a "family" holiday destination, with a healthy dose of Thai spices thrown in...they observe the going's on with amusement. It is also an inexpensive retirement option for many Westerners. The trouble is these disparate groups of visitors/residents often don't notice the other...so their perspectives are skewed. Those who are here for mongering probably don't really realize (and there is no reason they should) that there is a large and vibrant expatriate community here with families and businesses, and hobbies who have no interest in the nitelife. Their dollars support lots of other restaurants, bars [legit], and businesses the monger wouldn't even know about, let alone patronize. So the monger/punter may see a drop in business in the places he frequents...but be totally unawares of the other business that are thriving on the non-monger spending and conclude that Pattaya is in a bad way and that his monger spending is more important than it really is.

For years now, we have all read these letters to the local rags about residents upping, or threatening to, up and leave and of visitors saying they're never coming back. Never seems to happen, or if it does, they seem to be quickly replaced by others. I was out late last nite taking in the WS scene and most places were doing a good trade late into the nite. There were Ruskies and groups of wayward Arab youths (talking-up every ladyboy they could find) a plenty. And the condo and hotel construction boom is still going gangbusters. There is smart money still investing so they must continue to see a bright future for Pattaya. As to one letter's complaint about the lessening of nitelife in Pattaya, there are many clubs, discos, gogos, beer-bars still open till dawn if you know where to look (some of the BBs are 24/7) if that is what you're looking for.

One problem with these letter writers and posters here on TV is that it is mostly a Western perspective, and more specifically, an English reading and writing perspective. Exactly the countries (USA and England) who economies and currencies are taking a pounding. They certainly have reason to complain about "high" prices when they do the conversions with their "weak" currencies. However, we don't get the perspective of the those Arabs, Ruskies, even Chinese, who come here from booming regions with strong currencies. Maybe hotels, food, nitelife seems incredibly cheap for them...that's why they keep coming in droves, while the relatively "poor" English speakers take their shrunken pounds and dollars and go back home or vacation close to home.

So in short, I think the negativity of most of these responses is mostly unjustified. It may be your perspective and true from your vantage point, but it is not the whole story. Pattaya will continue to grow and hopefully thrive whether you choose to stay and enjoy it or return to Blimy.

Edited by NotNew2You

= rubbish! :o

Not to worry Libya 115, at least we have the satisfaction of knowing that this exceedingly offensive individual is not one of our neighbours and isn't likely to be any day soon, so, we can live our lives in peace and tranquility with the knowledge that while he is still looking for his paradise,we've already found ours.

quoting from above (sorry, didnt want to bore all of you will a full quote of that posters long winded pro pattaya paragraphs)

"And the condo and hotel construction boom is still going gangbusters. There is smart money still investing so they must continue to see a bright future for Pattaya."

Let's see, the so-called property boom in Pattaya. After Raimon Land found a couple hundred buyers for Northshore, everyone took notice. Soon they launched NorthPoint to this day has only 200 firm bookings (I think NP is over 400 units total?)

Meanwhile we see things like the Sails (where does that stand now?) and Ocean 1 being launched (think they are financially in trouble) along with a plethora of others up Jomtien way.

Recently, Raimon returned to launch the LOFTS Southshore, a lower priced version of Northshore to appeal to Thai buyers I guess. I guess there is a limit to the number of so-called big money buyers for Pattaya as many are quickly finding out.

Everyone in the industry quickly points to fast gains made by some buyers, but the fact is that is the absolute minority.

Even without the crooks, prostitution and poor infrastructure, Pattaya lacks one thing that makes other great beach resorts successful (see Samui, Phuket, Krabi as examples), it's call relatively nice beaches with clear water.

Now this may appeal to those used to hanging out on Black Sea beaches or next to sand dunes, it's hardly smart money. But I agree, like Patpong here in Bangkok, it does appeal to a certain crowd and will no doubt continue to be as it is for some time to come.

However, let's not paint it up to be the next great thing in beach resorts in Asia and the next playground for the rich and famous.

= rubbish! :o

You said it best before (Naam, I mean). Pattaya is just a place. It's the shit-holes who flock there that make it a place for shit-holes. Stop saying bad things about Pattaya or those same shit-holes might decide to move elsewhere.

Edited by Shotime

libya sorry mate, i think he was talking about me!

I am a man of many moods, sometimes sad, happy or reflective and sometimes philosophical and then theres the deep and meaningful but when I feel DEPRAVED ALCOHOLIC AND PERVERTED I book a cab straight to Pattaya and join the rest of them ,unleash the demons and have a hoot! great therapy

Edited by zorro1

Pattaya is what it is...I don't think any claims it is the Cote de Azur or the Algarve FFSs! However, all the negative posts...all they mention is the seedy nitelife but nothing about what else is on offer day and nite in Pattaya and the surrounding area. Like I said, that's all these people are interested in so that's all they see and experience. Bangkok is just as big a s-hole, if not bigger, than Pattaya FCSs! Just walk Sukkie from soi 2-Asoke any evening. Worse than Beach Road at nite even. However, there's more to Bangkok than nitelife too. So I don't judge Bangers only on the ho's on Sukkie so don't judge Patters by the same standard.

I read the letter the op posted and the related one also quoted by someone from the newest Pattaya Mail. While some of the points they make are certainly valid, I think many are also beyond the point. First off, Pattaya is many things to many people. For many, it is and will always be, a holiday destination for "R&R" and nothing more. For others, it's a holiday destination for great and inexpensive courses. It is also a scuba diving destination. Operators have told me that the total takings for dive operators in Pattaya rival the total takings of Phuket! For others, it is a "family" holiday destination, with a healthy dose of Thai spices thrown in...they observe the going's on with amusement. It is also an inexpensive retirement option for many Westerners. The trouble is these disparate groups of visitors/residents often don't notice the other...so their perspectives are skewed. Those who are here for mongering probably don't really realize (and there is no reason they should) that there is a large and vibrant expatriate community here with families and businesses, and hobbies who have no interest in the nitelife. Their dollars support lots of other restaurants, bars [legit], and businesses the monger wouldn't even know about, let alone patronize. So the monger/punter may see a drop in business in the places he frequents...but be totally unawares of the other business that are thriving on the non-monger spending and conclude that Pattaya is in a bad way and that his monger spending is more important than it really is.

For years now, we have all read these letters to the local rags about residents upping, or threatening to, up and leave and of visitors saying they're never coming back. Never seems to happen, or if it does, they seem to be quickly replaced by others. I was out late last nite taking in the WS scene and most places were doing a good trade late into the nite. There were Ruskies and groups of wayward Arab youths (talking-up every ladyboy they could find) a plenty. And the condo and hotel construction boom is still going gangbusters. There is smart money still investing so they must continue to see a bright future for Pattaya. As to one letter's complaint about the lessening of nitelife in Pattaya, there are many clubs, discos, gogos, beer-bars still open till dawn if you know where to look (some of the BBs are 24/7) if that is what you're looking for.

One problem with these letter writers and posters here on TV is that it is mostly a Western perspective, and more specifically, an English reading and writing perspective. Exactly the countries (USA and England) who economies and currencies are taking a pounding. They certainly have reason to complain about "high" prices when they do the conversions with their "weak" currencies. However, we don't get the perspective of the those Arabs, Ruskies, even Chinese, who come here from booming regions with strong currencies. Maybe hotels, food, nitelife seems incredibly cheap for them...that's why they keep coming in droves, while the relatively "poor" English speakers take their shrunken pounds and dollars and go back home or vacation close to home.

So in short, I think the negativity of most of these responses is mostly unjustified. It may be your perspective and true from your vantage point, but it is not the whole story. Pattaya will continue to grow and hopefully thrive whether you choose to stay and enjoy it or return to Blimy.

a very good post.pattaya is a very inexpensive place to live,its basically a sex city for sex tourists and its great,has great restaurants,bars ,live music scene is good too.ok its polluted,poor infrastructure and a lousy beach.I dont really know why families would want to go there,but for single guys wanting to get laid.............wow what a place.real estate booming,prices from 2million baht upwards,something for everyone.I really hate some of these prissy holier than though comments.