Free Admission To Chiang Mai Zoo's Animal Parade

george

Free admission to Chiang Mai Zoo's fantasitic animal parade

CHIANG MAI: -- Visitors will be given free admission to Chiang Mai Zoo's fantastic animal parade at weekends next month, its chief Thanapath Pongphamorn says.

The zoo parade is part of celebrations for Her Majesty the Queen's birthday.

More than 70 specimens of 30 different species will be paraded. These include penguins, lions, tigers, crocodiles and gibbons.

The penguins will ride in carts and be kept cool with water and ice.

There will be parades at 10.30am and 2pm starting the weekend of August 2.

-- The Nation 2008-07-27

• 2 weeks later...

CHIANG MAI: -- Visitors will be given free admission to Chiang Mai Zoo's fantastic animal parade at weekends next month, its chief Thanapath Pongphamorn says.

The zoo parade is part of celebrations for Her Majesty the Queen's birthday.

More than 70 specimens of 30 different species will be paraded. These include penguins, lions, tigers, crocodiles and gibbons.

The penguins will ride in carts and be kept cool with water and ice.

There will be parades at 10.30am and 2pm starting the weekend of August 2.

-- The Nation 2008-07-27

Just wanted to bring this forward, I have not seen it yet but tomorrow

is Saturday and the price is right :o

I don't go so far as those who think all zoo's are by definition wrong. Given appropriate accommodation and care, breeding programmes and educational value for visitors - I think there's a viable case to be made for them. But a parade ? Penguins in carts and presumably the rest in cages hauled past the spectators on the parade route?

I have great respect for HM the Queen and wish her the best for her birthday, but I can't help feeling that the organisers of this event have got it wrong. Never mind free - you couldn't pay me enough to turn up for something like this.

After I read this topic, I went there on Saturday 2 pm with my wife and daughter. It was not free at all. We have to pay 100 baht per person (or 80 baht if you're Thai), and free for my 3 years old daughter.

So I don't understand what does it mean by "free admission".

The parade was just so so, nothing big. There were a small elephant, a camel, some birds (each of them were just sitting on their caretaker's shoulder), a snake, monkeys, iguanas, donkeys, sheep, and a lion. Only the lion was put in a cage. Every animal was handled by a caretaker, so it was like a walking parade of humans carrying an animal with them. I saw no penguins.

At the finish point, there are a big table of vegetables and food for the animals to eat. Spectators blends with the parade, they can touch and feed the animals, can take photos with them, etc.

Edited by ungu

My god, steve2uk I think you're right.

I don't think that it's right parading them like this.

Some people would argue that zoos are wrong but I think I would agree with a parade being wrong.

What is the point!?!

If somebody wants to see the animals then I think they should go to the zoo. To take them out of their environment and then put them in cages and take them past crowds of people I think beggers belief.

Sounds like it would be stressful for the animals, unless they are very accustomed to close contact with humans en masse.

Sheep may be stupid but they have feelings, too.

it was like a walking parade of humans carrying an animal with them
:o Precisely.

Sounds like it would be stressful for the animals, unless they are very accustomed to close contact with humans en masse.

Sheep may be stupid but they have feelings, too.

it was like a walking parade of humans carrying an animal with them
:D Precisely.

Now that we have heard from the Boo Hoo do gooders who did not bother to check out something before they criticize from the comfort of their condos, here are the facts. Ungu is the only one who has a right to gripe about the free thing as reported in " The Nation" newspaper, do they ever get anything right ? :o Ungu did your daughter enjoy the parade and seeing the animals outside of a cage ? It seems you did not because 200 baht is a big price to pay.

A parade is for children to enjoy. You say so-so, nothing big. All the detractors miss the point, people and animals together. snakes, elephants, birds "just sitting on a handlers shoulder" did you expect them to sing and dance? At the end the people can touch and feed the animals what a thrill for any kid. This being Thailand you cannot expect the sterile environment we from the west are used to. God we are so freaking jaded. Lets fill in the moat and knock down those old crummy walls around the city and build hi-rise condos. Lets close down those street vendors and markets. Lets stop those people with

their strange cloths from coming into the city to sell their flowers and handmade trinkets. What we need are Gucci and Polo shops. Give me a break. End of rant !!, not really.

I did make eye contact with a cute sheep, I felt a connection of feelings, but her father said "BAAAAAA" no farang, true love is hard to find these days. Sawdee Kup.

Now that we have heard from the Boo Hoo do gooders who did not bother to check out something before they criticize from the comfort of their condos, here are the facts. Ungu is the only one who has a right to gripe about the free thing as reported in " The Nation" newspaper, do they ever get anything right ? :D Ungu did your daughter enjoy the parade and seeing the animals outside of a cage ? It seems you did not because 200 baht is a big price to pay.

A parade is for children to enjoy. You say so-so, nothing big. All the detractors miss the point, people and animals together. snakes, elephants, birds "just sitting on a handlers shoulder" did you expect them to sing and dance? At the end the people can touch and feed the animals what a thrill for any kid. This being Thailand you cannot expect the sterile environment we from the west are used to. God we are so freaking jaded. Lets fill in the moat and knock down those old crummy walls around the city and build hi-rise condos. Lets close down those street vendors and markets. Lets stop those people with

their strange cloths from coming into the city to sell their flowers and handmade trinkets. What we need are Gucci and Polo shops. Give me a break. End of rant !!, not really.

I did make eye contact with a cute sheep, I felt a connection of feelings, but her father said "BAAAAAA" no farang, true love is hard to find these days. Sawdee Kup.

Feel better now? :o

For the record, I'm not a "Boo Hoo do gooder", don't live in a condo and do keep several pets - not counting however many geckos have the run of my house. Oh - and not "jaded" either :D .

Speaking for myself, I was responding to the parade as described in The Nation's report: "More than 70 specimens of 30 different species will be paraded. These include penguins, lions, tigers, crocodiles and gibbons.". I have seen both penguins and gibbons in children's "meet the animals" zoos along with other suitable wildlife - camels, goats, donkeys, tame birds, non-venomous snakes etc. Those examples are great - and I applaud any opportunity for kids to have first-hand experience and contact. To date, I've yet to see lions, tigers and crocodiles making an appearance in that kind of situation. Let me know when you find an example.

As to Ungu's list of animals which were actually in the parade, OK by me - except for the lion. That's still wrong in my book.

Edited by Steve2UK

For anyone interested in some clarification, the prices are: 100bht farang/ 80 bht Thai / 50 bht children. The parade is a "free" event within the zoo, after you pay the entrance fee. Its ok as an added bonus if you wanted to go to the zoo anyway, but i wouldnt say make a trip solely for the parade as was fairly short. :o