Bail Controversy : Court Frees Tourists’ Killer

george

His trial should have started today. Wait till the papers are out tomorrow. I didn't watch Thai TV News tonight.

@Shrednyneas - no, nobody's forgotten him. It may have done him no good at all - lots of stories of farangs helping Thais, donating blood, etc.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from this mornings uk press.

looks like a pardon and promotion for the prick.

The British backpacker Adam Lloyd was shot dead just moments after giving a Thai police officer a "severe beating" and the screams of his girlfriend were heard seconds before the unmistakable sound of her murder, witnesses told a court in Thailand yesterday.

On the opening day of the policeman's trial in Kanchanaburi, 100 miles of west of the Thai capital, Bangkok, the court heard of the minutes leading up to the murder of Mr Lloyd, 25, from Torquay, and Vanessa Arscott, 24, from Ashburton, both Devon.

But as Master Sergeant Somchai Wisetsingh took a seat in a front pew in the court, none of the four prosecution witnesses was willing to name him as the man who carried out the killings by the River Kwai last September.

Nonglak Rattanachart, 38, spoke vividly of the beating the police sergeant received. "I saw a foreign man, whom I now know as Adam, chase Somchai around his car beating and kicking him," she said.

"He was shouting, 'F*** You!' repeatedly.

"Somchai put his hands up to give in but the foreigner was very angry. Somchai ran back to his car and locked himself in.

"The foreigner then went up to the car and kicked it so hard his shoe came off. He then walked off. Somchai followed in his car and Adam threw something at it. It may have been his shoe."

She later heard three gunshots, then, after another period, another three gunshots.

Her husband, Jansiri Rattanachart, 40, confirmed her story, saying he witnessed the beating from their house only 10 yards away. "At one point the girl came back and shouted, 'Stop it' and Somchai put his hands up in a form of submission," he said. "But the foreigner would not stop."

After Somchai got back in his car he followed them slowly, said Mr Jansiri.

"I went to the toilet and then when I came out I heard the shots. First I heard two or three shots, then a squeal of tyres, as if someone was trying to drive themselves out of a jam.

"Then I heard a woman's cries for help. They were much more urgent than when the girl was trying to get the men to stop fighting."

Asked how he knew that Somchai was in the fight, Mr Jansiri said he had known him since childhood.

The first witness to testify told the court that he hardly saw anything and had not seen Somchai on the night of the shootings at all.

He said he had seen "a foreign lady" come out of the S & S restaurant Somchai owned and walk towards him.

"She was upset and seemed a little drunk," he said. "She asked for a glass of water and I gave one to her. She then went back into the restaurant."

Later he heard raised voices coming from the restaurant. Two foreigners came out. The man tried to hold the woman's arm but she pulled it away. "They then walked off past me," said the witness.

Somchat Sukplawej, 34, a security guard who said he earned about £25 a month on night duty at a restaurant opposite the S & S, said he saw Somchai try to pull Miss Arscott into his car.

"But the lady did not get in. She was crying," he said.

Mr Somchat said he followed Somchai's car and saw the fight. Then he saw Somchai following the couple in his car. They went around a corner and he saw nothing after that but he heard shots and saw Miss Arscott's body by an electricity pylon and Mr Lloyd's body outside a motorcycle repair shop.

All witnesses said they had seen Somchai appear on Thai television and admit killing Mr Lloyd but said he had no choice because Mr Lloyd looked down on him, spat at him and beat him

All agreed that the incident was bad for the Thai tourist industry.

The case continues today.

21 December 2004: No regret, no remorse, no compassion

8 October 2004: Thai policeman admits killing backpack

© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2005. Terms

All witnesses said they had seen Somchai appear on Thai television and admit killing Mr Lloyd but said he had no choice because Mr Lloyd looked down on him, spat at him and beat him

no choice ? it will be interesting to see the outcome of all this. to see if the judge agrees that you have no choice but to kill when confronted with a spitting falang and his girlfriend.

Brit 'beat up' killer cop

From ANDREW DRUMMOND

in Thailand

A BRITISH backpacker beat up a Thai policeman five minutes before the cop shot him dead, a court heard yesterday.

Witnesses said Police Master Sergeant Somchai Wisetsingh had tried to pull Adam Lloyd’s girlfriend into his car.

Adam hit out and stormed off. The officer then followed the couple in his car.

Shots were heard, followed by a girl crying for help — then more shots.

Prosecutors claim the officer killed Adam, 25, before executing Vanessa Arscott, 24, to stop her identifying him. Wisetsingh claims self defence.

Adam, of Torquay, Devon, and Vanessa, of Ashburton, Devon, had been drinking at a restaurant Wisetsingh runs by the River Kwai in Kanchanaburi.

Wisetsingh ... claims he killed

the Brits in self-defence

Security guard Somchat Sukplawej, who worked at a diner opposite, said he saw the cop try to get Vanessa into his car.

He added: “But the lady did not get in. She was crying.”

Jeweller Jansiri Rattanachart said he saw Adam attack Wisetsingh from his house ten yards away.

He added: “At one point the girl came back and shouted, ‘Stop it’. But the foreigner would not stop.”

Wife Nonglak said the officer finally locked himself in his car and added: “The foreigner Adam then kicked it so hard his shoe came off. He then walked off.”

The couple said they later heard two gunshots, then a gap, then three more shots.

He later heard two gunshots, followed by a girl’s cries for help and added: “They were much more urgent than when the girl was trying to get the men to stop fighting.” There were then three more shots. The case continues.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005021065,00.html

i have been following this case as i did the Kirsty Jones murder back in august 2000.

I don't know which is worse,knowing who murdered your child and them possibly getting away with it or not knowing who the murderer is ,but knowing that the thai police bungled the case from the very begining.

If it was tony blairs son or daughter both cases would no doubt be done and dusted by now!!

Let the brits have jurisdiction when a british citizen is involved,maybe thailand would then get its act to gether.

i have been following this case as i did the Kirsty Jones murder back in august 2000.

I don't know which is worse,knowing who murdered your child and them possibly getting away with it or not knowing who the murderer is ,but knowing that the thai police bungled the case from the very begining.

If it was tony blairs son or daughter both cases would no doubt be done and dusted by now!!

Let the brits have jurisdiction when a british citizen is involved,maybe thailand would then get its act to gether.

:o Can't see how this would affect this case, as the perpetrator is a Thai and therefore not a British subject.

If it can be proved that he coughed up a greeny then surely there would be no case to answer. :D

Thai (in)justice sucks :o

If it can be proved that he coughed up a greeny then surely there would be no case to answer. :D

Thai (in)justice sucks  :o

Not a bloody greeny.......jeeeeeez. :D

KANCHANABURI: -- Police officer who admitted shooting 2 Britons released in Kanchanaburi A policeman accused of gunning down two young British backpackers has been given bail in Kanchanaburi province, where witnesses are said to be living in fear.

Somchai Wisetsingh, 38, the police sergeant who admitted to killing Adam Lloyd and Vanessa Arscott in September, has been released from jail on bail of Bt1 million.

Now that he is free on bail, has Somchai returned to his shooting ways??

February 07, 2005 12:42 PM

NAKHON SI THAMMARAT, Feb 7 (Bernama) -- A gunman who opened fire at a vote count place of a constituency in Thailand's southern province of Nakhon Si Thammarat Sunday night has been arrested, the Thai News Agency (TNA) reported.

The culprit, identified only as Somchai, killed a man said to be a canvasser of a local candidate and injured three other persons in the incident when a crowd of people were gathering to observe a vote count of the province's constituency 3.

UNCOVERED: Murdered couple's last snaps and emails reveal their

happiness before horror at River Kwai

Just stop worrying. The locals like us..

By Mike Hamilton

THEY are joyful mementos of a wonderful holiday in paradise...pictures packed with smiles and e-mails full of joy.

But just days after Brit backpackers Adam Lloyd and Vanessa Arscott told of their happiness to be in Thailand they became tragic victims of a brutal murder.

Photos from their digital camera show the carefree lovers posing on the infamous bridge over the River Kwai—the spot where they would soon be gunned down.

Other snaps show them enjoying an elephant ride and shopping for clothes they would never get to wear.

Their messages home describe their travels and touchingly urge their families not to be concerned about their welfare. The first e-mail, sent on July 4 after they arrived, said: "Bangkok's a bit of a shock to the system. Mums stop worrying now—got here OK."

Days later after journeying upcountry by train they wrote: "We decided to take a trip to leafy Kanchanaburi. The locals seem to like us. Booked into treehouse-style accommodation—quality.

"Yesterday we did some trekking and bamboo-rafting and a trip back to the railway and over the Kwai River Bridge. Everything is cool and we are both happy."

Ironically. travel agent Adam, 25, and 23-year-old fitness instructor Vanessa were so keen on the place and its people they returned for their final few days—and were callously slaughtered in the early hours of September 9.

Groping

Part-time cop and bar owner Somchai Wisetsingh, right, appeared in court on Friday accused of murdering them both after a punch-up in his S&S restaurant.

He is alleged to have sparked the fight with Adam by groping Vanessa. When the couple left, Wisetsingh is said to have chased them in his Volvo before blasting two bullets into Adam. As Vanessa fled in terror the Thai is accused of mowing her down with his car and shooting her three times as she clung to a pylon screaming for help.

Wisetsingh— said to have mafia connections—went on the run before giving himself up in October. He faces execution if found guilty when the trial ends next month.

He is still free on bail until the written verdict is delivered. And last night Adam's devastated dad Brian, 57, told how he fears witnesses may be nobbled or that Wisetsingh, 39, may abscond again and evade justice.

But he revealed that the snaps from his son's camera, returned to them by police, have brought the family a little solace as they struggle to come to terms with their nightmare loss.

Brian, who runs a hotel in Torquay, Devon, with wife Lynda, 57, said: "We're so glad we got those pictures back. They're comforting because they show that Adam and Vanessa were happy together and having a lovely time. And from the pictures we can work out roughly where they were and what they were doing.

"There's obviously so much that we don't know, and will never know. But we think the police have the right man. The fact that he got bail on a double murder charge is absolutely incredible."

Ironically Adam and Vanessa should have left Thailand before that awful night in Kanchanaburi but there were no plane seats available.

Adam's last e-mail home on September 6 asked dad Brian to check the times of coaches from Heathrow airport and signed off: "Thanks Dad, I will be in touch soon. Ad."

Last night Brian told us: "It's just a grim twist of fate that they went back and spent those extra days in the place where they'd made friends.

"That's the big ‘if only' that plays on our minds. If they hadn't gone back there they'd still be alive."

Was hoping that this forum would continue as the informative thread it has been.  :D

Perhaps the personal vindictiveness posts could be a new thread for all those active and imaginative minds.  :o

Good comment. This thread has been cleaned up. Posts about a suitable punishment for this guy - my own included - have been deleted.

Let's keep it factual, people.

This thread has been cleaned up. Posts about a suitable punishment for this guy - my own included - have been deleted.

Let's keep it factual, people.

Well said chaps!

It does highlight the passion and intensity of this case though as far as expats are concerned. I've said it before, but my worry is that if this guy walks, then it's "open house" for Thai Police to shoot foreigners, knowing that they'll get away with it...

We wait with baited breath the outcome...come on justice!

From the Sun Newsper, London (sorry its the only one I could find that had anything recent):

LAWYERS, police and the defendant at a murder trial wore VALENTINE HEARTS yesterday as grisly evidence was heard about the deaths of two British backpackers.

The stickers were handed out by the court clerk in Kanchanaburi, Thailand, who wished everyone “a happy day”.

Police Sergeant Somchai Wisetsingh, 38, denies running over and shooting Vanessa Arscott and shooting Adam Lloyd. Both were 24, and from Devon.

The court heard splashes of blood, hair, and skin were found on Wisetsingh’s car.

Spent bullet casings were found at the scene near the River Kwai and in the defendant’s car.

The trial continues.