Why Do Foreigners Have No Respect For Their Adopoted Country Where They Choose To Live?

I have lived and worked in Thailand for close to 12 years. I am horrified to see all the negative and infantile repsonses to the postings on Thai Visa. Why can't respondents be more respectfiul and positive about the country/town where they choose to live. Everybody let's get a life and show more respect for this country

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived and worked in Thailand for close to 12 years. I am horrified to see all the negative and infantile repsonses to the postings on Thai Visa. Why can't respondents be more respectfiul and positive about the country/town where they choose to live. Everybody let's get a life and show more respect for this country

Why did you post this in the islands forum?

Nar. Im not starting a Thai bash. Last time I was there I promised never return, I mean real people where going to the toilet on the beach. It was so gross. I hope for the best for there, a good clean up with more culture vale comes back. Thailand’s a cool plaice.

Don’t take things so personally. Learn to rise above them,

I happen to live in Northern Thailand and post on another TV board, but I was led here by the newish "similar posts" feature of TV. I thought we had a maturity problem with TV members up north. But, Oy! What I have read here!!

Edited by Mapguy

removed off topic & nonsense posts. There is also no need post post in a threatening manner or flame each other.

So you retained posts 8, 9, 10 and 11 ?

Now I remember why I hated school… :o

Bet it was because of school dinners - chai mai ? :D

It's our perceptions of life that cloud our judements and attitudes.

Samui is a great place, I love it! I don't want it to be the UK where I live. However, I still see the UK as a great place to live, it's just not Thailand, nor do I want it to be!

If you're a positive person where you're from, you'll be a positive person where you move to...

Samui is a great place, I love it! I don't want it to be the UK where I live. However, I still see the UK as a great place to live, it's just not Thailand, nor do I want it to be!

If you're a positive person where you're from, you'll be a positive person where you move to...

As Vic Reeves once said "I like the way this man thinks!" :o

As Vic Reeves once said "I like the way this man thinks!" :D

yes, well Suegha is a rare gem of a man :o

The reverse of Suegha's post is true, as well. Too many people come, see some sort of paradise, only to find out that whatever their problems were at home are worse here. The trouble is often inside, not outside.

As for discussion about removed posts, probably best to step carefully, as Boo was kind to merely delete posts.

I think that a common pattern is the following; westerner is unhappy with his life and blames his home country for this state of affairs. He moves country. He is still not happy and blames his new country. He is like a dog with shit on his fur who keeps moving to escape the smell of shit but not knowing that he carries it with him. :o

I think that a common pattern is the following; westerner is unhappy with his life and blames his home country for this state of affairs. He moves country. He is still not happy and blames his new country. He is like a dog with shit on his fur who keeps moving to escape the smell of shit but not knowing that he carries it with him. :o

an excellent description of most situations Garro!

What a great generalisation, i mean, i'm sure there are billions of " Foreigners " living in Countries all around the World & the OP in his subject title says that they have no respect for where they choose to live & sticks his question of why in a Forum that has about 50,000 people living on the Islands, laughable really... :o

I show respect to Thailand & Samui, i pay Taxes, i employ Thai Staff some of which are even Samui people, i have donated to local Schools & i spend the vast majority of the money i earn, here on the Island..

What other ways of showing respect do you think are feasible & needed British Bobby, just out of curiosity ???

Unless i have missed something, what has made you post this & who, if anyone, has offended you by not showing respect & how & why did they do it as something/someone has obviously pressed your buttons ??

well said ,maybe the only people that have the time and the incline to respond to nearly all posts ,have an axe to grind and are bitter and twisted ,sitting on a topical paradise , vegertating ,have in the past drank there selves in to a stooper and have nothing better to than to moan.

Well take a long vacation back to your country of origin

Get a live and start enjoing it

with all respect we dont want people with your attitude to return

Who is "we"? Got a frog in your pocket, newbie? Return where? Thailand? This free and open forum?

There is a class of person who posts on forums with the "holier than thou" attitude. He is incensed that anyone could not see the glass as always half full, regardless of the circumstances. He is the "If you don't like it here -- GO HOME" sort of man. He usually doesn't have anything useful or erudite to add himself, but appoints himself as the higher authority on matters regarding what posts are "acceptable" and who, much like Santa himself, is naughty or nice.

When cornered, he will admit that not everything is perfect, but wraps himself in the cloak of "If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing."

Herding posters into a corral where making only positive and intelligent comments are acceptable would only result in a patina covering the truth.

I am totally with Suegha here. I often feel the people who spend all day complaining about Thailand are the kind of people who would complain about any place that they lived. I do also get sick of the verging on racist criticisms that I hear and read on a daily basis from expats. We are guests. Yes we have brought money with us but we have also brought with us many things that have been detrimental to Thai culture and country so why can't we be a little more humble? I would love to see the reaction from Brits if they read a Polish forum saying the kinds of things said about that Uk that is said on Thai visa about Thailand.

Mark - it isn't holier than thou to ask people to have a little respect is it?

well i for one love Samui,have been here about 15 months.Yes i could moan about the bad roads,the dirty beaches(some),the rubbish everywhere,and the pollution from all the bulding going on,but i wont.Thai people are so friendly,hospitable(all over thailand)its a pleasure to be living here.The worst complainers in my experience are the brits(poms) whatever and people from the good old USA.............THERE IVE SAID MY PIECE!

What a great generalisation, i mean, i'm sure there are billions of " Foreigners " living in Countries all around the World & the OP in his subject title says that they have no respect for where they choose to live & sticks his question of why in a Forum that has about 50,000 people living on the Islands, laughable really... :o

I show respect to Thailand & Samui, i pay Taxes, i employ Thai Staff some of which are even Samui people, i have donated to local Schools & i spend the vast majority of the money i earn, here on the Island..

What other ways of showing respect do you think are feasible & needed British Bobby, just out of curiosity ???

Unless i have missed something, what has made you post this & who, if anyone, has offended you by not showing respect & how & why did they do it as something/someone has obviously pressed your buttons ??

i reckon that alot of peoples buttons have been pressed. i agrea with the op too much whining. too much time on here. constuctive critisme is always good. but lets face it none of us have to be here. we all looking for a better life. It might not be perfect but it must be better. i still get fustrated here but it is a hel_l of alot better than back home. as for showing respect. just because you donate and employ thai staff which i do also doesn't boost your complaining rights apart from maybe shouting at your staff for not working. does anyone here like chicken ??