Why Do Foreigners Have No Respect For Their Adopoted Country Where They Choose To Live?

What a great generalisation, i mean, i'm sure there are billions of " Foreigners " living in Countries all around the World & the OP in his subject title says that they have no respect for where they choose to live & sticks his question of why in a Forum that has about 50,000 people living on the Islands, laughable really... :o

I show respect to Thailand & Samui, i pay Taxes, i employ Thai Staff some of which are even Samui people, i have donated to local Schools & i spend the vast majority of the money i earn, here on the Island..

What other ways of showing respect do you think are feasible & needed British Bobby, just out of curiosity ???

Unless i have missed something, what has made you post this & who, if anyone, has offended you by not showing respect & how & why did they do it as something/someone has obviously pressed your buttons ??

i reckon that alot of peoples buttons have been pressed. i agrea with the op too much whining. too much time on here. constuctive critisme is always good. but lets face it none of us have to be here. we all looking for a better life. It might not be perfect but it must be better. i still get fustrated here but it is a hel_l of alot better than back home. as for showing respect. just because you donate and employ thai staff which i do also doesn't boost your complaining rights apart from maybe shouting at your staff for not working. does anyone here like chicken ??

Of course it's better, that's why we're here at the end of the day.

& sorry, you started a sentence as if you was going to write about respect but then you started writing about complaining rights & that along with the Chicken comment, lost me i'm afraid ?? :D

Honestly, as you're agree with British Bobby, or if BB wants to elaborate himself, what's the crack with this respect thing as i believe i show it by not only what i've mentioned but by other things i'd do but i'm obviously open to learn more ways i could be respectful, that's if they really are of course ?? :D

& i think the OP is out of order by insinuating that none of us show respect to this Country, a stupid & nonsensical generalization if you ask me.

Edited by MSingh

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived and worked in Thailand for close to 12 years. I am horrified to see all the negative and infantile repsonses to the postings on Thai Visa. Why can't respondents be more respectfiul and positive about the country/town where they choose to live. Everybody let's get a life and show more respect for this country

It's unrealistic to expect people to love & respect everything about the place they live. It's also unrealistic to expect people on an internet forum to be quiet about things they don't like (your own post is an example of venting). That said, I've met people here that seem less than happy with the locals (to put it mildly). Some have better reasons than others to keep living here.

Furthermore, people LIKE negativity. I started a thread about my bad first impression of KPG a few months ago. It went on for several pages with a lively discussion. A week or so ago I posted a more positive 2nd impression and I think there were two replies. That's not a complaint, just pointing out the way it is.

Edited by koheesti

Yaaaawwwnnn..

Isnt it obvious that the weather has been shiite the last few days.............

Personally back to OP comments at start,yes its annoying that some people dont have any respect for the country that they are allowed to live in....

But its the same anywhere..........

I am horrified to see all the negative and infantile repsonses to the postings on Thai Visa. Why can't respondents be more respectfiul and positive about the country/town where they choose to live.

Because they are foreign they have been brought up to have different values, human nature really.

As you are british yourself you must have witnessed a great deal of lack of respect and negativity for the british way of life from newcomers and not so new residents of the uk, its the same the world over.

What lead you to leave the uk for the LOS?

Respect is earned, its hard ansd in some instances impossible to respect some aspects of thai ways be that cultural/ political or whatever.

If you exclude people from aspects of what is regarded as normal life in a country then no one should be suprised when divisions arise.

Immigration Policies where intergration into everyday normal society is prohibited by statue confirm's that it is ok to treat the immigrant as a 2nd class citizen, which is why I chose not to live in the LOS at present.

Roy gsd

Edited by roygsd

That is a question not exclusive to foreigners living in Thailand.

I have been asking the same question as to the foreigners living in the UK and can find no reasonable answer. I think there is some superiority complex hanging over them i.e. They know best and that is that!!!!

So, what is the answer????!!!!! :o

Oh, I don't believe anyone in Thailand should feel offended.

Case in point, many on this forum are Americans who like to bash the USA and its government just as much as they do Thailand (see latest negative posts on Bush coming in early August). I guess it's because we're left with a bunch of anti-establishment entitled people in this world...and some percentage of those people are here in Thailand after jumping ship from their home country.

There is no way to make these people happy. They have all the answers and use this forum to tell everyone about it while hiding behind a screen. Do they try to do something about things (eg: become a politician)?...no way.

We've all met them before. Rarely are they successful business people, but usually someone with few experiences, few successes, and a whole lot of complaints about every establishment they've ever come across.

Oh, I don't believe anyone in Thailand should feel offended.

Case in point, many on this forum are Americans who like to bash the USA and its government just as much as they do Thailand (see latest negative posts on Bush coming in early August). I guess it's because we're left with a bunch of anti-establishment entitled people in this world...and some percentage of those people are here in Thailand after jumping ship from their home country.

There is no way to make these people happy. They have all the answers and use this forum to tell everyone about it while hiding behind a screen. Do they try to do something about things (eg: become a politician)?...no way.

We've all met them before. Rarely are they successful business people, but usually someone with few experiences, few successes, and a whole lot of complaints about every establishment they've ever come across.

HI Nothing wrong with being anti establishment, dont really see that being a sucessful business person has anything to do with being anti establishment, in fact the main reason most entrepreneurs have become so successful is largly due to the fact that they think " outside of the box".

Goverment Policies are usually changed not because of choice of the politicians but as a result of what you seem to regard as anti establishment types.

As a brit I think I am entitled to say that if it were not for what you regard as anti establishment people, the USA and many other counries would still be under uk soverignty, similarly if it were not for the anti estabishment movement in the USA and South Africa it is likely segregation of races would still be operational in those countries.

When members read your remarks about people you regard as Anti Establishment I hope they appreciate that during the creation of Israel several british soldiers were caputered and hung by the anti establishment figures who were regarded as terrorists by the then Establishment and in fact several of those anti establisment/terrorists were wanted for these murders, odd then that years later the head of the british estalishment had a guest staying with her in Buckingham Palae who was once wanted for the murder of those British Soldiers.

Many of leaders of countries today were once regarded s anti establishment/ terrorists, one only has to see what the world thinks of Nelson Mandela today to see how ome anti establishment persons can and have improved the world for millions of people.

When I see someone branded a terrorist on the news today I have to admit to asking myself how long will it be before that "terrorist" is being funded and fated by World leaders.

History often confirms that what is regarded a todays "anti establishement/terrorist" is tomorrows acceptable

" establishment" in waiting.

Change is simply another name for evolution, long may that continue.

Roy gsd

I have lived and worked in Thailand for close to 12 years. I am horrified to see all the negative and infantile repsonses to the postings on Thai Visa. Why can't respondents be more respectfiul and positive about the country/town where they choose to live. Everybody let's get a life and show more respect for this country

please define "respectful"...sometimes the most passionate form of devotion to and care for someone/something can, is defined by other as "disrespectful"...that btw is pretty much what you see going on with the Thais accussing each other and some getting arrested for "les majeste".

It's funny how people complain about the immigrants in the U.K not trying to adapt to Britain and carrying on with the ways of their own cultures instead of integrating etc... And then the same people write on different threads about how they refuse to wai and take their shoes off when entering some Thai shops because they have their own "important values".

Well, may I add my own 5 Pences to this discussion.

Im German by birth and I once was one of those problem kids who cannot get along with society in there home countries. After relocating to LOS at a very young age (23 yrs), I experienced the same trouble in Thai society, teaching me a great lesson.

I want to ขอคอบคุณ Thai ppl for enlighten me and initiating a great healing process.

It's our perceptions of life that cloud our judements and attitudes.

Samui is a great place, I love it! I don't want it to be the UK where I live. However, I still see the UK as a great place to live, it's just not Thailand, nor do I want it to be!

If you're a positive person where you're from, you'll be a positive person where you move to...

Not always.Not a rule.Depend on many things around you.Depend what the people around you doing to you.Sometimes you will have a good heart about all of them but they will insist on their rules,customs,to respect and to try to force you give up about YOUR WAY and to follow THEIR WAY.If not-you will be labeled,targeted,as persona non grata for them.I guess that is wrong in Thailand.All the time they are trying to force us do as they do,they said we should respect their culture and tradition,customs by doing the sme.From taking shoes of everywhere,wearing yellow shirts in days they do(even you hate yellow on you),to wear traditional silky things in days they do...etc.In short-they will try to force you to do that but same time they will not allow you to have YOUR customs,way you used to do.I am talking about situations when you became a part of their society-one way or another.

The fact is they will never try to do that when you are a tourist but if you become a part of social life here - you have to face with so many restriction,demandings about to follow their way but if their way is opposite then your - will be forbiden to ou to do.One way or another.Sometimes very loud will be said to you what you are doing "wrong".I think they should rspect any other way,too.They are not able,many of them don't want to,even.

If you try to talk about"democracy",human rights,freedom...you will see what will be with you...

The guy here who has beeing here for 12 years,in case he don't have things to complain about "Thai way"-as washing brain to us-i guess he have an elephant skin,or so strong self - control so he don't see anything they are doing to us,as somethinh he should think about...

Regards...

It's funny how people complain about the immigrants in the U.K not trying to adapt to Britain and carrying on with the ways of their own cultures instead of integrating etc... And then the same people write on different threads about how they refuse to wai and take their shoes off when entering some Thai shops because they have their own "important values".

Sorry but you miss the point...

Nowhere in Europe you will be asked to take shoes off in public place and this is not about just taking shoes off...European people are accepting differences in culture but the fear about immigrants in Europe(Asians)is not about their cultures but about make disorder about works on black,or about economy.Europens accepting easily any difference in culture at Asians but don't forget Thais peeing in public,during the day,so don't tell me Europens should to accept things as that,ok?

Also.you mentioned INTEGRATING...Normaly that as you are an immigrant you should accept things of your host country but VALUES,not weird and freaky things...Minimum standards...Do you think it's ok nowhere you can use toillet paper?Should we accept that,too? :o

About wai...Why should i accept that?For me,that is religious salute.Not same as shaking hands.Many Thais confirmed that to me.May be i wrong but for me,to wai to them is like i gave up about my roots and if that would be same as shake hands meaning-i could do it.This way...no way i will.

Bit something else is point here.If you don't wai to them,they will say for you you are disrespecting them and all consewuences will be just yours and there are plenty of way they make you sorry for avoiding to wai.I don't understand WHY any of them would mind me why i don't wai them?In Europe,that would be your RIGHT to do or not and nobody would mind you that.That's the point about differences about ways we do.

Ragards

Mark - it isn't holier than thou to ask people to have a little respect is it?

Sure it's not, but being the self-appointed arbiter of what is respectful and what is just biting social commentary is.

I believe I am respectful of most of the things that are expected of me. That isn't to say that I toe the line in every situation.

Should I respect the Thai custom of how the police take bribes from me? Should I respect the powers-that-be on Samui for not fixing or turning on the street lights between Lamai and Chaweng? Should I respect the common man for routinely polluting? (Take a walk along the beach where the fishing boats are at Hua Thanon).

I don't go to the cops and tell them that they are incompetent slackards (but I believe it to be true). I don't go the government offices and picket for better roads and lighting (although I probably ought to). I don't bark at every person I see tossing an empty smokes packet on the ground (but I would have years ago).

I could go on about all the good things I respect about the Thai people, like driving the wrong way on a one way street (stupid ordinance anyway). Or like allowing prostitution. Or allowing public drunkenness/open container/urination.

I could go on, you know...I honestly think these are good qualities about living in Thailand and I respect the people here for having the balls to fly in the face of what we in the West would consider outrageous behavior. That's one reason I have lived in Asia for the past 23 years.

So if the OP is directing his broad brush of scorn in my direction, he's hitting a fan.

Edited by Mark Wolfe

Nowhere in Europe you will be asked to take shoes off in public place and this is not about just taking shoes off...European people are accepting differences in culture but the fear about immigrants in Europe(Asians)is not about their cultures but about make disorder about works on black,or about economy.Europens accepting easily any difference in culture at Asians but don't forget Thais peeing in public,during the day,so don't tell me Europens should to accept things as that,ok?

Also.you mentioned INTEGRATING...Normaly that as you are an immigrant you should accept things of your host country but VALUES,not weird and freaky things...Minimum standards...Do you think it's ok nowhere you can use toillet paper?Should we accept that,too? :o

About wai...Why should i accept that?For me,that is religious salute.Not same as shaking hands.Many Thais confirmed that to me.May be i wrong but for me,to wai to them is like i gave up about my roots and if that would be same as shake hands meaning-i could do it.This way...no way i will.

Bit something else is point here.If you don't wai to them,they will say for you you are disrespecting them and all consewuences will be just yours and there are plenty of way they make you sorry for avoiding to wai.I don't understand WHY any of them would mind me why i don't wai them?In Europe,that would be your RIGHT to do or not and nobody would mind you that.That's the point about differences about ways we do.

Ragards

What are you on about....... I get the feeling you are the one missing the point.

Ragards

What are you on about....... I get the feeling you are the one missing the point.

I got your point but the way you put that is just INCOMPARABLE.That's all.Europeans have a REASON why they are talking about immigrants can't integrate in society because of things immigrants doing there,which is unacceptable.Europeans don't force immigrants to accept silly things as Thais doing to westerners here.IF i get your point. Stay well mate... :D

Very poor excuse, they have a reason for you because that is what you grew up with, there are reasons for everything, it is just you don't know or understand them.

Your response is typical of that of a person who has no respect for any other culture than their own.

I was bought up to believe that respect has to be earn't.

And some people were brought up to believe that as a guest you should respect the rules and way of doing things of your host. Do you have a point?

I was bought up to believe that respect has to be earn't.

And some people were brought up to believe that as a guest you should respect the rules and way of doing things of your host. Do you have a point?

Isn't being a guest in a private home different than being a "guest" in a country? For example, if every Thai is a host shouldn't they be giving me food and drink for free? I also haven't had to pay for special documents to enter someone's house before. I've been here almost a year. I would expect to have worn out my welcome many months ago if I were a guest in someone's house. As for you guests who have been here over a decade, I think you've passed the "guest" level long ago.

Isn't being a guest in a private home different than being a "guest" in a country?

Perhaps so, but isn't a person having to earn respect different to a whole culture supposedly having to earn respect?

The lack of respect shown by the large numbers of lowlife losers is staggering and pretty sad. It's amazing we haven't been kicked out all together.

Very poor excuse, they have a reason for you because that is what you grew up with, there are reasons for everything, it is just you don't know or understand them.

Your response is typical of that of a person who has no respect for any other culture than their own.

If this is about me,all i can say is on the countrary, mate.On the countrary... Thais have a lot of things for respect.I do respect some values here.Some! That's for sure.That much i like this country,generaly speaking, that i want my daughter countinue art studies here.

The question is do i understand them and do i know them?

As we all make our attitudes in life based on our experiences - i could say i know them, as well. The fact is: i do not understand them, about all they do.Not as much as i would like to but i am trying to.Things what i experienced could say i know alot about them.Not only i do.Many friends of mine, westerners, told me many stories, their experiences and that way i am learning about this society. Learning.

Even i have respect for their culture(culture is a complex topic,have many aspects,right?) i will not be mute about the things i think are wrong here.Plenty of things are wrong here as anywhere else but the point is Thais demanding from you to follow their way and they do not care much about your or mine way.It is wrong to do.

Wrong things are doing many nation,more - less. I didn't had a chance to see, all over Europe, immigrants have no right on their way.

Here is wrong to say to(or about) someone; he/she don't respect Thai culture just because that don't want to wai to all familie here or any place in public.Thais doing that.If westerner bought a cow to the parents of a woman but didn't wai to them-does it mean he do not respect them?I don't think so.If westerner paid a hospital bill for the kid in family but didn't take off his shoes before entrance in house of kid's family - does it mean he doesn't respect those people?I doubt.

However,i do respect this tradition,culture as much as i can understand but some things are wrong(my opinion)and i will refuse to do but that doesn't mean i don't respect or like them.Especially - if someone try to force me to do, or say about me that i don't respect their culture - will have to hear of me.

Part of this culture is to AVOID the problems. Should i be mute about some"problem" or something what i don't like(don't understand)? Or, should i allow them say to me:"If you don't like-go back home"? and all of that just because i pointed on something what i thought is wrong and was need just to talk,to be explained to me.That is what they do.Majority.Any commenting will be accepted as disrespect culture, tradition, customs. You should talk more with westerners about. Someone says here: respect should be deserved.

Cheers mate...

"When you are content to be simply yourself and don’t compare or compete, everybody will respect you."

Author: Lao-Tzu

"There is no respect for others without humility in one's self."

Author: Henri Frederic Amiel

And this can be extended to people, culture, places, environment, situations, name it!

last not least, it's up to everyone to chose...why worry, if you can't change it to the better, accept it or look for greener pastures.

have a nice day, every day!

Edited by Samuian

How can any person brought up in the West have respect for all the crazy, dishonest and sometimes violent things done to "save face"?

The concept of 'face' holds this country back from it's full potential.

The Thais have many worthy cultural traits, but, 'face' isn't one of them.

What do you think about the open admiration for cheats that get away with whatever they're cheating at?

Or, how about that teachers are not allowed to fail any student?

Some things I admire, some things I don't.

Edited by Sir Burr