Am I Too Expensive ?

Like so many other farang, I want to move to Thailand in the near future. I am 54 years of age and can't afford to retire outright just yet. I did a TEFL course years ago - I could take the easy option and update my credentials and become an English teacher.

I want to stay in the Hospitality Industry. I have been managing hotels and motels in Australia for the past 8 years. I've been keeping my eyes and ears open and I have found a number of good Thai websites (in English) and a few Australian sites which list job vacancies in Thailand.

I have applied for a number of hotel management positions in Thailand (mostly in Bangkok) but so far without success. It seems what I am asking is 'too much, out of our budget.'

I am getting $5500 per month (that's AU dollars, about the same in $US). I am asking for $2000 a month (AUD or $US). Is this too much? Am I pricing myself out of the market? It's fairly easy to work out what Thai wages are, but does anybody have a link or suggestions as to expat wages?

Thanks, Peter

Most medium size hotels have lower-level Thai management who are probably paid 10-20k, assuming they are very well-skilled and experienced. And unfortunately age-ism is alive and well in Thai hiring practice, so that may be an issue in the higher-level positions, even assuming the right pay is available.

I'm afraid that with increasing hurdles to being a teacher here (legally or otherwise) the best you could probably hope for in the first year or so would be 25-30K a month at language schools, unless you have some kind of genuine educational qualification and could get into the public school game. Unfortunately, that's also pretty age-ist. Best of luck either way, and PM me or post here if there're any other questions re. the teaching business I can help with.

I have found a number of good Thai websites (in English) and a few Australian sites which list job vacancies in Thailand.

.'

Can I ask you which websites you were browsing?

Cheers,

Sauro

Edited by Sauro

Peter,

I'm not sure who and how you have been applying, but I don't think cost alone is the factor. I've known quite a few people in my time here working in the hospitality industry, and they often earn more than $2k a month - some considerably so. In alll likelihood its the easiest excuse/reason to give you regardless of the reason they don't want to hire. A couple of other likely factors:

- It's very rare to get a reply if your application hits a Thai persons desk first, unless they specifically want a foreigner. Try and find an expat/foreigner to write/apply to who will be more open minded.

- Similar for recruitment agencies, although you might get lucky again if someone specifically wants an expat

- Look at the large international companies and chains, eg Accor, Hyatt etc. Forget local brand chains or one offs

- Have a very good reason for wanting to come here. Sorry, but being blunt 54 year old males who are single and wanting to come to Thailand will be stereotyped. It will be in any employers mind given the countries reputation.

- Have a very good reason for what you are going to add. Realistically your working days are numbered among the ageists here.

BTW I was surprised at the rates quoted by Ijustwannateach. It seems teaching salaries are going backwards again. 25k-30k was a decade ago. I thought anything decent these days was 30k+, especially with a TEFL like you have. 25k was the hardly ever changing amount for a Rajabat, which are lowest payers, but least demanding. Then again I'm not well up on current teachers salaries... :o

Good luck :D

I have applied for a number of hotel management positions in Thailand (mostly in Bangkok) but so far without success. It seems what I am asking is 'too much, out of our budget.'

I am getting $5500 per month (that's AU dollars, about the same in $US). I am asking for $2000 a month (AUD or $US). Is this too much? Am I pricing myself out of the market? It's fairly easy to work out what Thai wages are, but does anybody have a link or suggestions as to expat wages?

Thanks, Peter

Not sure what level you are applying at and how you present yourself, but the foreign chains e.g. Marriot, HOliday Inn, Hyatt, Sofitel, Renassance etc are all employing Aussies and paying them a proper wage which to me is something similar to what you earn now $5500; absolute minimum $3500 and more likely more than this.

Thai management in a decent 4 star or higher hotel are all on at least $2k if you are in a senior management position e.g. head of F&B, head of PR/Comms, head of Guest services etc.

I am not an expert on this, but I do deal with hotels; if you are approaching places like Siam Beverly which are stand alone single site hotels with no global presence, the GM probably earns 60,000b a month and is some relation of the family or similar; of course not only are you expensive, but probably quite useless to them as you cannot speak proper Thai (presumably).

Go for the chains, and boy oh boy there are a ton of new hotels - I would go for a headhunter - then go from there.

But to me any management job (and I am speaking here as a Thai, since I earn Thai wages) should be at rock bottom about $3.5 - 4k Aussie gross, usually with at a minimum 2 months a year bonus, med, super, life, and even then that is rock rock rock bottom in BKK.

Up country only go for tourist areas, farangs have no place working in non tourist places in the hotel trade as the value is in tourist services/etc.

Regards & let us know how you get on. If you really need help, PM me, might have some further ideas.

I know the F&D director at a large 4.5 star hotel in town and he's paid around 190,000 per month, plus has a suite in the hotel.

He's a scot.

Given that, I'd suggest A$5000 is not out of the ballpark.

I would say that given the relative lack of skills of most Australians other than in rugby and league, that a a Scot on the pull is worth 2 Aussies in the bush.

15,000b in a guest house...probably about right.

Let's further bear in mind you cannot get a work permit if you are earning less than 60k a month anyhow; plus it would be impossible to live in BKK on that sort of sum.

So you have to work in a big chain hotel.....or just not work at all.

I know the F&D director at a large 4.5 star hotel in town and he's paid around 190,000 per month, plus has a suite in the hotel.

He's a scot.

Given that, I'd suggest A$5000 is not out of the ballpark.

I would say that given the relative lack of skills of most Australians other than in rugby and league, that a a Scot on the pull is worth 2 Aussies in the bush.

wow, bitter much? for such an unskilled bunch they sure do a great job of running one of the most livable countries on earth.

Major Multi Nationals, regardless of the type of business, do not normally hire middle or senior managers for specific locations. They hire someone then send them on various assignments around the world. I seriously doubt if you find a single expat manager in any major chain in Thailand who was hired in Thailand to work in one their hotels in Thailand. Most probably don’t even stay for more then 2 or 3 years.

TH