Firefox

francois

With all due respect francois,what is so special about firefox,I had it on my pc for 2 days and uninstalled it,Maxthon is much better.

hmmm have you tried the latest version 1.0?

I think it is great.

1. I love tab browsing

2. I love the multiple home page

3. It is fast

4. Can be totally customised

5. Is stable

6. Is free

7. Is not microsoft...

As far as I can see so far it has many advantages over IE6 and no disadvantages.

I love it.... and I am not a computer nerd.

With all due respect francois,what is so special about firefox,I had it on my pc for 2 days and uninstalled it,Maxthon is much better.

hmmm have you tried the latest version 1.0?

I think it is great.

1. I love tab browsing

2. I love the multiple home page

3. It is fast

4. Can be totally customised

5. Is stable

6. Is free

7. Is not microsoft...

As far as I can see so far it has many advantages over IE6 and no disadvantages.

I love it.... and I am not a computer nerd.

same same... ! :D

totster :o

hi'

available online the last Firefox 1.0 :o

here : Firefox 1.0

good download

francois

Thanks for the tip - I looked yesterday, but the new version (promised for 9th November?) still wasn't available. I hope it fixes the problems I currentlty have, otherwise I will try Maxthon.

My problems are that the really good extensions - Adblock and Spellbound spellchecker - completely screw up the forum's features like "My Assistant", "+ Quote", "Clickable Smilies" and some others that I can't remember.

Maybe we can compare configurations to determine whether the problem lies with the extensions, or with the forum. I am now using 0.93, but still get the problem with these extensions.

I'll go offline now and get the new version and reinstall the extensions - fingers crossed!

...My problems are that the really good extensions - Adblock and Spellbound spellchecker - completely screw up the forum's features like "My Assistant", "+ Quote", "Clickable Smilies" and some others that I can't remember.

Maybe we can compare configurations to determine whether the problem lies with the extensions, or with the forum. I am now using 0.93, but still get the problem with these extensions.

I'll go offline now and get the new version and reinstall the extensions - fingers crossed!

RDN - Ahhhhh... that's why you're getting the problems and I'm not ... I've been using Firefox 1.0 all along ( well since 27/10/04 anway )... all becomes clear...  :D

totster  :D  :D

I'm afraid not, Totster. I was using 1.0PR until a few days ago - I only reverted back to 0.93 to see if it would work with the new forum software. It doesn't.

And now I am using the new 1.0 (only released today) and it's still no da.mn good. "Adblock" just doesn't work with the forum software. If you want to test it and see if it stops "My Assistant" working, you can install it, click here:

http://downloads.mozdev.org/adblock/adblock-0.5-dev.xpi

You have the option to install or not install after it downloads, and you can disable it easily after it has been installed. I leave it enabled except when I want to use the "+Quotes" or "My Assistant" feature, then I disable it and refresh the page.

Maybe I'll try Maxthon :o

What about you Francois? Do you have "Adblock" installed? I'm sure these forum features used to work before the upgrade (the "+Quotes" feature wasn't present, then). Certainly the "My Assistant" feature used to work.

The "Javascript Console" in Firefox (tools) gives the same error (as 1.0PR did) when I click on the "Clickable smilies" - 'ua_vers is not defined'. The script is trying to determine the browser I'm using, and fails. And when I click on "My assistant" it says 'buddy_pop' is not defined.

Edited by RDN

RDN, why do you want to block the ads??  Do you think forum hosting and bandwidth is free?

Ah haa! So, it's a deliberate ploy by Invision to block the ad blocker, is it? :D:o:D:D

I assure you, george, if you were on a slow dial-up link you wouldn't want to wait for "http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com" and "thaivisa/ads/" and "thaivisa/Sunbelt" etc, to load. I even turn off the "Google" logo - waste of bandwidth!

All this started with the "pagead2.googlesyndication" stuff that would take 5 or 10 seconds to load a few weeks ago. But when you've tasted a clean web page, you never want to go back. I appreciate that adverts make Thaivisa work and pay the bills, but if Invision have forced this ad blocker extension to fail, you should own up. :D I actually don't think they have, so I realise that fixing this "problem" is going to be way down the bottom of their bug-list.

I hope the problem is with the extension - the authors admit it hasn't been fully tested with all versions of Firefox - so maybe they can fix it there. But the annoying thing is, it all used to work with the old forum software. :wub:

RDN, why do you want to block the ads??  Do you think forum hosting and bandwidth is free?

Ah haa! So, it's a deliberate ploy by Invision to block the ad blocker, is it? :D:o:D:D

I assure you, george, if you were on a slow dial-up link you wouldn't want to wait for "http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com" and "thaivisa/ads/" and "thaivisa/Sunbelt" etc, to load. I even turn off the "Google" logo - waste of bandwidth!

All this started with the "pagead2.googlesyndication" stuff that would take 5 or 10 seconds to load a few weeks ago. But when you've tasted a clean web page, you never want to go back. I appreciate that adverts make Thaivisa work and pay the bills, but if Invision have forced this ad blocker extension to fail, you should own up. :D I actually don't think they have, so I realise that fixing this "problem" is going to be way down the bottom of their bug-list.

I hope the problem is with the extension - the authors admit it hasn't been fully tested with all versions of Firefox - so maybe they can fix it there. But the annoying thing is, it all used to work with the old forum software. :wub:

Ok... I've just downloaded "Adblock" and confirm I am now having some of the the same problems as RDN.

So far when I open my assistant , it just opens the forum page in another window (albeit smaller), which didn't happen before... I'm off to investigate more..

totster -_-

Note - I will be uninstalling Adblocker as I have no real need for it, but this exercise proved the theory !

Ok , My assistant doesn't work at all now.... also none of the code buttons.. or smileys

Interesting point though is that I'm not getting any errors or dialogue boxes... it just doesn't work

Right ... I'm uninstalling now ... I don't like it

totster

Ok , My assistant doesn't work at all now.... also none of the code buttons.. or smileys

Interesting point though is that I'm not getting any errors or dialogue boxes... it just doesn't work

totster

Thanks Totster - glad it wasn't just me. I wonder if I can persuade the "Adblock" writers to follow this up... :o

been using firefox 1.0pr and have no problems with the forum.

for the sunbelt gif adds install a proxy server on your machine and run your browser through it, enlarge the cache to 20 meg or so.

as for the other ads, if you are that way inclined , read up on how your hosts file works.

you will probably find that adblocker is just not as good as it tells you it is, I doubt if it is a deliberate problem caused by the invision software.

Spellbound and Ad-Block in their current versions just cause too many problems with my versions of Firefox lately. I use the MOOX optimised builds and Spellbound broke my browser. :D First time l've had that happen. :D I set everything up again and confirmed it. It worked fine up until about 0.92 and unusable since which is a shame as it's one of the best extensions out there. (note, you have to carefully read the options when you download Spellbound as for some people that is where the problem lies) I'll give it another week or so before trying again. The comment about using the HOSTS file is indeed correct. Otherwise you have to configure Ad-Block one item at a time with sites like Thai Visa and especially Yahoo! Mail if you want to have any hope of it working at all.

I've recently been testing some other browsers including Maxthon, Crazy Browser and Avant. These fitted my requirements of being freeware and having tabs. Once you've used tabs e.g. Firefox, there's no going back. :D

Maxthon looks good, has some nice features but l found it to be extremely slow. :o I tried the following test with Firefox versus Maxthon. Using the auto refresh, the same page in Firefox could be set to reload every 30 seconds and would usually take only 10 seconds to refresh. Quite acceptable for dial-up l thought. Using Maxthon the page renders very differently. Trying to refresh every 30 seconds was useless as it could not complete the display of a page before the next reload. I had to set it to 70 seconds for auto refresh to function properly. In the end it just did not perform when compared to a nicely tweaked version of Firefox.

Crazy Browser: Not bad, unappealing interface, could use a few more features but if you want basic then it's reasonable.

Avant: Looks good, with a number of skins included to account for most tastes. Performed the above speed comparisons with Firefox and while not as quick it was acceptable. A good range of options allow you to set it up well. I was really surprised when l downloaded it from Major Geeks to see when installing that it had been downloaded in Thai. The download mirror had picked up on my Thai IP address and set the language accordingly. I've changed it back to English since but this could be a handy alternative to IE for a Thai user.

Overall l've found nothing to come close to Firefox, once you have tweaked it with suitable extensions etc. If you want an alternative then l would recommend Avant based on my testing over the past weeks. One reason l will keep using it, is that it allows Yahoo! Mail to work properly, Yahoo! is not fully compatible with Firefox no matter what you do. There is a project for an extension to make it so but l think that's going to be a while coming.

Btw, l can't say l've really had any problems using ThaiVisa with Firefox. They fixed the insertion of smilies -_- so that you can insert a smilie :wub: where you want now without having to c+p from the end of a post all the time. thats gotta be a good thing. :D

*I've used Opera in the past but it simply will not work, period, with some sites l need my alternative browser to work with, thus it is not an option for me.

hi'

RDN, I used Maxthon which I found quite nice and could be a good alternative for IE addicts ... (not me ...)

but, then I tried firefox, and since version 0.93, I'm quite happy with it.

it's fast, can see all sites, it's not MS, and it's very close to netscape .. :o

I currently use netscape 7.2, firefox looks a tiny bit faster .. just a bit :D

I never had any problem with adds, I block them with zonealarm and for TV, I have downloaded the extension, but never had any problem with TV adds, they are displayed, my guess is they are not pop-ups, neither banner adds, and as George said ... everyone needs to live :D

some extensions valid for 0.93 or 1.0pr are not valid for the new 1.0 ...

update the extensions as well, it is asked during install :D

some are not available yet.

I don't think that I'll follow the progress of maxthon as firefox is here :D

cheers

francois

Edited by francois

jaidee, this is the extension l'm currently using with a MOOX version of Firefox 1.0 RC1

ReloadEvery

I can't guarantee that it works with your version but give it a try. It's been around for nearly a year now.

For anyone interested in obtaining more extensions, the best site l've found is Extension Mirror. It has the largest number l've seen plus they are kept up to date better than any other site, even the Mozilla site imo. They even have an RSS feed so you can see at an instant what new extensions are being added to the list.

There is a hack to make many extensions that aren't compatible with newer versions of Firefox work, but it involves editing the extensions.rdf file.

totster

Thanks Totster - glad it wasn't just me. I wonder if I can persuade the "Adblock" writers to follow this up... :o

Actually - I think that's the forum software recently. Because My Assistant was working last week (AFTER the upgrade), and wasn't working earlier this week, but is working today. - and I've been on Mozilla 1.0PR the whole time. - I've got none of the other problems that RDN mentions, so I think that's just AdBlock issues.

Thanks Totster - glad it wasn't just me. I wonder if I can persuade the "Adblock" writers to follow this up... huh.gif

Yes you can just drop an email to them on the homepage and keep following up from time to time. Keep us posted.

Thanks Totster - glad it wasn't just me. I wonder if I can persuade the "Adblock" writers to follow this up... huh.gif

Yes you can just drop an email to them on the homepage and keep following up from time to time. Keep us posted.

Thanks mouse - I started a new topic on the Adblock Project's forum, here:

http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=1111

I will keep this thread updated as and when I get useful info from them.

Thanks to everyone for your input and special thanks to Highwayman, francois and stumonster for very useful posts - and extra thanks to Totster for doing some tests to prove it wasn't just me!

I'll keep you all informed of progress. :o

If add blocking stops your pop up window appearing - usually pressing crtl or alt while clicking the link will stop it being blocked.

But Firefox does not allow the combining of tool bars like IE does. Too many lines are taken up at the top of the screen, unless you remove the toolbar.

But Firefox does not allow the combining of tool bars like IE does. Too many lines are taken up at the top of the screen, unless you remove the toolbar.

Pandit, not sure l know what you mean.

I have the Menus (File, Edit etc.), the address box, the search box and 7 icons on one line.

On the next line l have all my bookmark toolbar folders, RSS feeds and the navigation icons.

That's only two lines, plus a line that shows all my open tabs.

Just right click anywhere on a blank space on the toolbars, select customize and you can drag and drop everything to where you want, even to the bookmarks toolbar. You don't need any other toolbars if you use small icons.

I have the Menus (File, Edit etc.), the address box, the search box and 7 icons on one line.

On the next line l have all my bookmark toolbar folders, RSS feeds and the navigation icons.

Just right click anywhere on a blank space on the toolbars, select customize and you can drag and drop everything to where you want, even to the bookmarks toolbar. You don't need any other toolbars if you use small icons.

I agree. Except I don't even bother with the bookmarks toolbar. This is what my screen looks like:

ff1.jpg

I agree. Except I don't even bother with the bookmarks toolbar. This is what my screen looks like:

ff1.jpg

Wish I could see it... :D

User Posted Image

ff1.jpg

User Posted Image

That's strange - I can see it in your quote of my post, but not in your written post underneath. Try running IE - I bet you'll see it then!

This thread is getting a little bit techy.

I dont know much about computers or about software but i do believe that 9 out of 10 people who download Firefox will find it 10x better than IE6.

Just try it - there is nothing to lose and everything to gain.

No - we're all friends here. We're just having a few 'fine tuning' problems with Firefox! :D

ff1.jpg

User Posted Image

totster :D

That's strange - I can see it in your quote of my post, but not in your written post underneath. Try running IE - I bet you'll see it then!

This thread is getting a little bit techy.

I dont know much about computers or about software but i do believe that 9 out of 10 people who download Firefox will find it 10x better than IE6.

Just try it - there is nothing to lose and everything to gain.

No - we're all friends here. We're just having a few 'fine tuning' problems with Firefox! :D

Ooops I actually Typed user posted image to show what I was seeing... I can see the image now. :o

I have the same setup :D

totster :wub:

to really tweak your firefox browser in the address bar type about:config

I first did this to stop malformed jpegs being displayed but found some more info today which should speed up you browser

Disclaimer: This is not, and is not intended to be, a firefox vs. Opera thread. The following are simply some basic guidelines for increasing firefox performance, and is not meant to be a comparison of any kind! :o

I've heard it said, here and other places, that Opera is the fastest browser available. It is fast - there's no denying that - but there are ways to make firefox render pages every bit as quickly, with just a few easy "tweaks." I had thought these adjustments were pretty well-known, but it's beginning to seem as though they may not be. So I thought it was worthwhile to bring these "hidden settings" more into the light.

To get started, type "about:config" in your firefox address bar. The settings you're looking for are:

1.) network.http.pipelining

2.) network.http.pipelining.firstrequest

3.) network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

4.) network.http.proxy.pipelining

5.) nglayout.ititialpaint.delay

Set #1, #2, and #4 to "true". Set #3 to a high number, like 32. Set #5 to 0.

Enabling the pipelining features allows the browser to make multiple requests to the server at the same time. The "maxrequests" is the maximum number of requests it will send at once. I've heard that 8 is the most it will send at once, but setting it higher won't hurt, just in case. The initialpaint.delay is the length of time (in milliseconds) after the server response before the browser begins to paint the page.

Adjusting those settings will help pages render much faster in firefox. In fact, my own observations have been that, tweaked in this manner, firefox will render faster than Opera (and yes, I realize that others may experience different results).

The firefox Tuning thread ( http://www.webmasterworld.com/red.cgi?f=21...pic.php?t=53650 ) over at Mozillazine has more information for different connection speeds, etc.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/8007.htm