Where Would You Be If Not Thailand?

NoSpeakIt

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Sri Lanka. I was there for around 9 months and found it a great place. The people are very nice, and more laid back than the Indians (except perhaps Goa). Maybe it's the Buddhist legacy.

Sri Lanka is beautiful and has all climates within a day's drive. Golf is good, food is cheap and there are bars and nightlife, though not quite thailand.

My Thai wife also quite liked it, though she wasn't exactly keen on moving there.

Compared to Sri Lanka, Thailand is first world, but I loved it there and will definitely go back at some point.

I went there when I was 10. it is a cool plaice to memory.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My property in Balirong on the Philippine island of Cebu.

But mainly my home in Arizona. SEA is great for small doses (even though I am getting a big dose now) but I miss driving, Wal-Mart (God help me I actually do). And cheap illegal labor from our friends south of the border (Kidding).

The number 1 thing I miss is being able to legally carry my Ruger P94 9mm Auto everywhere I go. I feel naked here without any protection.

As for any of the other SEA countries, Malaysia maybe, and Singapore just to visit, I am not really into the semi facist government of Singapore. It's very clean and orderly, like Germany in the mid-30s..... I am going to get hammered for that comment. Good thing I don't give a phuck.

My property in Balirong on the Philippine island of Cebu.

But mainly my home in Arizona. SEA is great for small doses (even though I am getting a big dose now) but I miss driving, Wal-Mart (God help me I actually do). And cheap illegal labor from our friends south of the border (Kidding).

The number 1 thing I miss is being able to legally carry my Ruger P94 9mm Auto everywhere I go. I feel naked here without any protection.

As for any of the other SEA countries, Malaysia maybe, and Singapore just to visit, I am not really into the semi facist government of Singapore. It's very clean and orderly, like Germany in the mid-30s..... I am going to get hammered for that comment. Good thing I don't give a phuck.

if You live by the sword, you die by the sword :o

I have spent a lot of time thinking about alternatives and I guess it would be Japan (tied with going back home to NY). Both are very expensive. Ideally I would like to set off travelling again for a year before I settle anywhere though.

because you get a residence permit upon arrival? :o

I like Bali very much. Lovely island, lovely people, more culture, style. One day I will sell my business and I move there with my family. My thai wife likes Bali very much too.

retiree visa presently limited to five years max. what is your next destination after having lived five years on Bali?

The US would be my second choice. Politics aside, the US has so much to offer. It's a beautiful country and not too hard to make enough money to enjoy yourself. The countries image has been tarnished as of late, but we really aren't that bad.

excuse my ignorance but what does ulysses.g mean by the "heart of the country"meaning thailand?can anyone explain?

He means the king.

But note that discussing the Thai royal family is not allowed on Thai Visa.

Sophon

That is a new one. Someone who pines for Walmart. I think you belong there. That is weird.

It would be like a Thai person abroad who wants to move home for Tesco Lotus. Incomprehensible.

Edited by Jingthing

If I wasnt moving to Thailand I would probably be moving to New Zealand, my brother has been asking me to come and work for him as he has a great tiling company going, it would be good to go do with him and make good money, but the weather is really bad, its always cold and over cast. Actually If I wasnt moving to Thailand I probably be living in Sydney my hole life

Uruguay, Punta del este

Wasn't the OP asking about people who are being priced out of Thailand? I also like Uruguay, but the last time I checked you need to invest over 100K USD to be allowed residence there. If you have a pension, Argentina offers a similar culture with less needed to qualify, and you can rather easily become a permanent resident.

That is a new one. Someone who pines for Walmart. I think you belong there. That is weird.

nah after so many years in asia i miss wal mart too, or actually target i miss more...

nah after so many years in asia i miss wal mart too, or actually target i miss more...

OK, I miss certain shopping options and especially types of restaurants in the USA, but is that enough reason to want to move back there, especially considering 90 percent of what you can buy in the US, you can get the same or similar in Thailand? I would understand if you lived in the African bush thinking that way ...

OK, I miss certain shopping options and especially types of restaurants in the USA, but is that enough reason to want to move back there, especially considering 90 percent of what you can buy in the US, you can get the same or similar in Thailand? I would understand if you lived in the African bush thinking that way ...

the choice of selecting your climate zone and people not driving on the wrong side of the road is a no go in Thailand. there are a zillion other advantages where the U.S. beats Thailand hands down. except for a few cases personally known to (amongst them fellow TV-members) i don't understand why anybody would prefer Thailand over the Greatest Nation on Earth™ (assuming they are U.S. citizens and don't need freaking visas).

After 24 years here in Thailand and the last 7 on a retirement extension I hav emoved to Cambodia.

I love it there, people are more relaxed , pace of life is slower. cost about the same

Got a 1 =year business visa multiple entry for $240 no papper work in 2 days. dont need work permiot to work, no tax's, all monies made can be exported. etc etc.

i Shopping mall in Phnom Penh and prices on par with Thailand

after 5 consectiutive years of a 1 year visa can get Cambodia citizenship, passport and buy land in MY name

Its a boom town and only one way to go is up.

Thailand will lse out when the next coup hits ( i expect it by end of year) once Takhsin goes back to the uk with his wifre and billions he stole

i don't understand why anybody would prefer Thailand over the Greatest Nation on Earth™

Naam, you misunderstood me. There are good reasons to prefer the US depending on your current situation in life, but SHOPPING OPTIONS or missing WALMART I think is a rather weak one. For my purposes, early retirement on a budget, there is no contest, Thailand is fun, the US would be impossible.

Edited by Jingthing

After 24 years here in Thailand and the last 7 on a retirement extension I hav emoved to Cambodia.

I love it there, people are more relaxed , pace of life is slower. cost about the same

Got a 1 =year business visa multiple entry for $240 no papper work in 2 days. dont need work permiot to work, no tax's, all monies made can be exported. etc etc.

after 5 consectiutive years of a 1 year visa can get Cambodia citizenship, passport and buy land in MY name

Thailand will lse out when the next coup hits ( i expect it by end of year) once Takhsin goes back to the uk with his wifre and billions he stole

Cambodia sure sounds interesting. You have to think that as they get more successful, they will likely beef up their visa rules just like Thailand though.

For US people on social security or expecting it, be aware that living in Cambodia or Vietnam presents a special problem: from SSA website

If you are in Cambodia, Vietnam or in areas (other than Armenia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Russia) that were in the former Soviet Union, SSA restrictions prohibit sending payments to you. However, you can be paid any benefits that were withheld while you were in one of those countries if you:

Are qualified for those payments, and

Leave that country and go to one to which we can send payments.

Edited by Jingthing

Cambodia sure sounds interesting. You have to think that as they get more successful, they will likely beef up their visa rules just like Thailand though.

For US people on social security or expecting it, be aware that living in Cambodia or Vietnam presents a special problem: from SSA website

If you are in Cambodia, Vietnam or in areas (other than Armenia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Russia) that were in the former Soviet Union, SSA restrictions prohibit sending payments to you. However, you can be paid any benefits that were withheld while you were in one of those countries if you:

Are qualified for those payments, and

Leave that country and go to one to which we can send payments.

It is no issue...keep a bank account in USA and do scheduled SWIFT transfers or ATM withdrawals.

It is no issue...keep a bank account in USA and do scheduled SWIFT transfers or ATM withdrawals.

It would be an issue if you had no US bank account. Believe or not, there are some in that boat, and have fun opening a NEW US bank account these days if you don't really live there and have a valid US driver's license.

Edited by Jingthing

It would be like a Thai person abroad who wants to move home for Tesco Lotus. Incomprehensible.

Comparing Tesco Lotus to Wal-Mart isn't even a contest. Wal-Mart beats them hands down. Here I actually go to Carrefour. I only go to Tesco for the cheap electronics and smokes. For some reason Carrefour doesn't sell them. But it is nice to drop off the groceries for the free Tuk-Tuk delivery.

Wal-Mart RULEZ :D Admittedly I am a White Trash, Redneck, shit kicking, gun carrying, card carrying Republican and proud of it. And yes back in the states I do 90% of my shopping at the EVIL Wal-Mart. Always Low Prices, Always. Always made in China, Always :o Strange how Tesco Lotus has Always Low Price on their stores. Me thinks they are trying to copy someone.

But when the time comes I will be retiring in The Philippines, unless something major changes here. They welcome retirees with easy multi entry unlimited visas. Most Filipinos speak fluent English, and if not the wife can translate. And to top it they have a Veterans Administration clinic with hospital care at the JCIS certified St. Lukes Hospital in Manila. Here in LOS I spend $300 a month on my meds. Yes The Philippines is Third World and I consider Thailand 2nd World at least, but their aren't enough American Veterans here to get a VA clinic. And they really make it a pain in the ass to retire here.

Oh Jingthing, I don't know how long you have been away from the USA but they have these things now called Wal-Mart Supercenters. They are the most amazing places! I am in mine several times a week. Check one out the next time you are back. These are not your father's Wal-Marts.