Using A Credit Card In Pattaya

thaiman

a few years ago a friend of mine used a cc card at a travel agent to purchase an airline ticket in pattaya. Later he found out that his card info was stolen and someone made bogus charges from india.

How safe is it to use a cc card in pattaya? anyone have any bad experiences? I want to purchase an airline ticket at a travel agent but am a bit reluctant b/c of my friends experience. I may purchase in cash. What do you think?

a few years ago a friend of mine used a cc card at a travel agent to purchase an airline ticket in pattaya. Later he found out that his card info was stolen and someone made bogus charges from india.

How safe is it to use a cc card in pattaya? anyone have any bad experiences? I want to purchase an airline ticket at a travel agent but am a bit reluctant b/c of my friends experience. I may purchase in cash. What do you think?

Tricky one. Never had a problem in Pattaya (apart from the 4% charge to recover handling costs).

Had the same problem as your friend when I booked airline tickets through a hotel in Khon Kaen.

Have you considered booking on-line, I have always found that very straight forward.

Edited by Chaimai

You can always pull cash from an ATM and use the cash at the travel agent, may have to do it over a few days depending on your cards daily limits.

Even more secure (if you are more paranoid about ATM scams), go into a bank and get a cash advance on your credit card. It may take a fair bit longer but pretty much ensures your card won't get scammed.

Like brit, I have used plastic for years in LOS for purchases, ATM and online. No worries so far.

Agree with Britmavric...book online is the safest. Otherwise, best to pay in cash. There are fine and reputable agents in Pattaya (Massic on 2nd Road being one I would recommend) but why take the chance. It's a hassle to get a new card and cancel fradulent charges if your number gets lifted...plus someone somewhere in the world got some cool stuff for free using your good name!

Some years ago I used a credit card in Thailand and within a few weeks some major charges fraudulently appeared on my card - a major hassle to cancel the card and get it re-issued as I was living in Thailand and the credit card was US based. I haven't used a credit card here since. The other day I bought 2 LCD flat screen TV's and with some trepidation I thought I would give the credit card route another go. But then the vendor offered me a discount if I would pay cash - that made the purchase payment option easier to decide - paid cash and not worrying about going on line everyday to check to see if someone stole my credit card info to make purchases. I simply used a few ATM cards and made the withdrawal needed to buy the TV's - peace of mind, indeed.

Quite often fraudsters will keep details for a long time before using them, it makes it more difficult to work out the connection and the fraudsters will be able to do it for a long time and normally moved on before their information is used so it may just coincidence that you used it 2 weeks ago in Pattaya.

Best to always pay cash, even with the best intentions of being able to watch your card at all times I have still had my card disappear from sight with with excuses that their machine Was not working and they will have to use another, gone before I had the opportunity to say I can pay with cash instead, and that happens here in the UK.

BB

Edited by Basil B

Safest way would probably be to draw the cash out at the ATM and pay with cash. Better start a few days before you plan to book, though. I just booked a flight and it took me a few days to get the correct amount with a 10,000 baht per day limit!!!

UK Banks consider Thailand a high risk area for credit card fraud and will not even post a card here.

HSBC Jersey don't consier it high risk and will post credit cards here. You just have to 'phone them and verify your identity before they're activated so no risk.

use my visa card almost daily and almost everywhere where they accept credit cards. The points earned buy new toasters and watches for the wife...

Been doing this for years and never had a problem whatsoever. UOB (otherwise a crappy bank) actually calls me when they suspect something fishy with the debit within minutes after the purchase for authorization.

I suggest:

a. have several credit cards, each with a low limit, which you only use when you must use a credit card for a purchase

b. as has been said, get cash from a bank, either via a credit card or setup a Thai bank account and transfer money from 'home'.

c. be aware of internet based fraud, use a virtual personal network (vpn) when sending confidential info over the internet.

d. don't carry your credit cards with you, leave them in a safe location, until needed.

e. don't talk to strangers ! (joke)