Morning Cough

raro

I have for a while some coughing in the morning that is rather getting worse than better. Also I have more and more problems catching breath when making sports - actually, after a couple of minutes I am out of breath and have the desire to breath on a SCUBA unit.

Now this morning the wife said that she also has problems with breathing at night.

We are both non-smokers (okok...I smoke a bit when drunk enough....). We sleep with windows closed and aircon on, but in daytime the windows are open to get fresh air in. We live in the Pattaya suburbs with relatively clean air.

Could this be that there is something in the bedroom that causes the problem? Mites? Chemicals from the lockers?

Any idea how to test this?

Chemical lockers in the bed room is not a good idea :o

Use a different, less, detergent for the linen. Don't use fabric softener. Vacume the mattress to get rid of mites. Mop the floor without using a detergent. Have the aircon filters cleaned.

thanks for the advise so far!

Locker: Formaldehyde? They are made from that crappy laminated cardboard that you can buy everywhere.

Mattress: There is in Pattaya now a German guy with a mattress cleaning service. He injects some chemicals and has a special vacuum cleaner that sucks the crap from deepest layers. Does anyone has experience with him? Will ask this on the Pattaya board again.

Aircon has been cleaned just a couple of months ago and we do that regularly.

Air off, fan on? naaaa....I cannot stand fans to start with and when the air gets humid I just sweat like hel_l - even with aircon on I sometimes sweat a lot at night.

No mosquit sprays, coils, other chemical warfare at raro's house.

If it's something in the air you could buy air con filters at HomePro and other places. They consist of a large sheet of fiber that you cut to fit your air con. These filters remove all dust particles that the normal filters let through. They will be completely black after 1-2 month use, amazing how filthy the air can be.

If you have a good steam iron you can kill all the mites in the mattress by giving it a good work over at high temperature and full steam. Vacume the mattress after steaming to remove all the residue. Be careful so you don't melt anything when steaming, some materials are more sensitive than others.

When you wash your linen you need hot water, minimum 60C is required to kill mites. Most laundry places in Pattaya don't wash that hot so it's very likely that you get mites from other people if you don't do your own laundry.

A humidifier may help you as the air con will dry the air and that may cause irritation.

If it's something in the air you could buy air con filters at HomePro and other places. They consist of a large sheet of fiber that you cut to fit your air con. These filters remove all dust particles that the normal filters let through. :o They will be completely black after 1-2 month use :D , amazing how filthy the air can be.

ZZZ; I use those add-on sheets of filter too - and was at first impressed about how black they turned..... later I realized that it ALSO turned black in my spare room where the aircon is never used as well as a piece I left out in the open.

Not saying they did not work - just that they will turn black no matter what.

Cheers!

Your symptoms sound like it could be seasonal/allergic asthma, perhaps from pollen or dust, but it's a bit strange that your wife is also affected. I get asthma a few times a year here and was prescribed Seretide Evohaler by a Doctor at Samitivej Bangkok. After using the inhaler twice a day for a couple of days my symptoms usually disappear.

Start with the simple things first;

- Ask yourself if there is anything different in the room from when you first started coughing and the time when you were ok. New furniture, paint job, carpet, lightbulbs, artwork etc. Nothing is off limits. Some objects can emit noxious vapours. Might even be as simple as using a cleaner with ammonia. Or it could be the floor cleaner.

-Obviously, sprays, insecticides etc. as stated above are at the top of the list.

- Airconditiong can dry out a room. What's the relative humidity? If its too dry, you can irritate your lungs. (Yes, I know it's Thailand always humid, but some of these AC units can surprise you.)

- Did you look at the AC unit itself? Is there any mold? if you can get the grate off or if there are nooks and crannies get the old flashlight and look. If you can fashion a long swab, insert and wipe. (Gently and disconect the power first, please.)

- Don't know what type of AC unit you have but some of them have an air intake duct and these can become dirty and moldy. Check that out.

No chance any of you folks have put on weight recently or snore? When you breathe through your mouth a lot (blocked nose or other causes) this can iritate the throat.

Is it a dry hack or are you coughing up goop? Dry hack suggests irritant. Goop suggests particulate matter.Mucous is produced to get rid of the particulate.

If you are still frustrated, is there any change in the local environment, eg. outside paint and chemical fumes. People can toss their garbage where you least expect it, or someone could have set up a shop that puts out chemicals & fumes and it's drifitng over.

The way it souns it's something in the room. Do you have the problem in another room? Maybe you can sleep elsewhere in the place to see.

It's going to be solved by the process of elimination. It may take time, but you'll get there.

I have for a while some coughing in the morning that is rather getting worse than better. Also I have more and more problems catching breath when making sports - actually, after a couple of minutes I am out of breath and have the desire to breath on a SCUBA unit.

Now this morning the wife said that she also has problems with breathing at night.

We are both non-smokers (okok...I smoke a bit when drunk enough....). We sleep with windows closed and aircon on, but in daytime the windows are open to get fresh air in. We live in the Pattaya suburbs with relatively clean air.

Could this be that there is something in the bedroom that causes the problem? Mites? Chemicals from the lockers?

Any idea how to test this?

Best way to test is to go and stay somewhere else for a couple of days.

If symptoms persist you might need to see a good doctor, BTW trouble breathing on exertion sounds worrying to me

If they disappear it is definitely something in the room.

Well my OH certain times of the year has this - coughing guts up in the morning, then OK for rest of day. Cannot be aircon as he got this at certain times in the UK too (no aircon). Doc in UK said nothin you can do about it. He had a medical in Thailand last year and chest/lungs completely clear - tip top condition - so not that either. He now reluctantly puts up with it. Was hoping to find an answer on this forum but looks like a lot of people in the same boat.

The OP reports shortness of breath on exertion (sports) so it is not just a morning cough/nite allergy issue. (Or maybe it is that, but it is also something else).

OP, you need to see a doctor immediately and have a full check-up including chest Xray and stress test. The shortness of breath with exercise is definitely a warning sign and should not be ignored. You may have a cardiac or pulmonary problem. Don't delay.