Soy Milk - Thai Brands Generally Availble.

Cuban

I've just been asked a question by a friend looking to return to Thailand soon, he is avoiding milk products and asked me about Soy (and other?) milks generally sold in Thailand.

I am aware of Lactosoy's range of Soy milks so popped out over lunch to take a look at what's on sale at a typical 7-11 as it was close by.

Being the first time I've looked closely at the contents of 'Soy' milk that I would assume to contain soya bean products and water, I was a little suprised that on many of the 20 or so tetra-pak boxes that I looked at many list 2% powdered milk solids amoung their ingredients. (Amoung flavored, strawberry, sesame, corn enriched etc.)

The other less surprise is the amount of sugar added to many varieties, 5-10% being typical. Thais like it sweet.

So my question is: What brand - variety is pure soy milk - with no sugar or milk added?

Japanese brand called "Unohana" sells various soy products that includes both sweetened (but barely sweet) and sugar-free, non-flavored soy milk (25 Baht for 350ml PET bottle). They have their own little booth in Central Chidlom, Siam Paragon, Isetan Dept. Store (5F), Emrpoium (5F) Fuji Super 1 & 2. I like their green tea flavored soy milk. They deliver too. I often order tofu, natto (fermented beans) and soy milks for delivery from them.

http://www.unohana.net/

Edited by Nordlys

Soy milk , Sugar free :Nurse brand (นมถั่วเหลืองตรานางพยาบาล ). I can buy it at Tesco, It's 30's per bottle

Kao_Soi_Try2.jpg

Vitamilk Jay (vegetarian)

pic-vitamilk-j.jpg

Lactasoy Jay (vegetarian) - The right one (orange)

beverage2.jpg

Soy milk , Sugar free :Nurse brand (นมถั่วเหลืองตรานางพยาบาล ). I can buy it at Tesco, It's 30's per bottle

Whilst on the subject of milk, is there a cows milk available in Thailand which is "lactose free"?

My system doesn't agree with Soy milk and as I'm lactose intolerant can't drink normal milk.

In Australia Liddells makes lactose free cows milk for lactose intolerant people.

It is a long life variety which only needs to be refrigerated once opened.

Lactose is a specific type of sugar only found in milk.

Where would I buy such a product in Thailand?

:o

Sugars:

Fructose = Fruit sugar.

Sucrose = Cane sugar.

Lactose = Milk sugar.

Glucose = Grape sugar.

post-55028-1217851718_thumb.jpg

Edited by rockyysdt

So my question is: What brand - variety is pure soy milk - with no sugar or milk added?

Vitamilk is available in 1 ltr cartons for about 27 baht but contains sugar, and there are a few other brands that also offer vegan versions (เจ on the box in red writing on a yellow flag) but most of these have sugar in too. There are a few varieties of soy-milk with something added, such as black sesame seed or double rice with barley, which are both nice and a bit different, though both contain a little sugar.

So you need to look for the V-Soy Lo-Sugar in a light blue box, small size about 250ml, and also available in a six pack for about 30 baht, though I've never seen it in a litre box. And Tipco Nature Up has no sugar, but is mixed with sweetcorn for a different flavour again. Slightly creamier, whereas the sesame seed and double rice with barley taste lighter to me.

I prefer the fresh stuff, and there are 3 stalls offering it on my very small local market alone, so I get the idea it's pretty easy to get hold of. Maybe not in the city I suppose. But "nam dao hoo jeut" means plain soy milk with nothing in, or 'mai sai nam dtaan' means don't add any extra sugar (usually a spoonful of syrup in the bottom of the bag) but then neither of these don't mean there isn't a bit of sugar in it to start with. I can pay 6 baht for a bag of about 200ml, but buy a litre at a time for 30 baht. Another stall is a little cheaper but definitely has no sugar at all and is a bit too beany for my tastes.

• 2 weeks later...

I second markwhite's recommendation for V-Soy. However, they also have a No Sugar version which I personally purchase all the time. I am lactose intolerant, so that's all I drink when having "milk". No milk solids, no sugar. Sort of bland, but great in muesli or cereal...oh and makes an excellent milk for rice or tapioca pudding. I'm not a big fan of the Nurse brand that BambinA recommended as it has a bit too much of an "organic" taste to it.

Edited by StrongView

• 2 weeks later...
I've just been asked a question by a friend looking to return to Thailand soon...

I had the same dilemma before too. This is what I drink here: V-Soy Soymilk Hi-Calcium

Contents: 99.5% soymilk, the rest are vitamins, minerals. No preseratives, no sugar added!

Nutrition facts: only 2% sodium!!! I cant decipher the rest as it is in Thai.

I buy the 230 mL(?) x 6 tetra packs. Paragon supermarket? I forgot. It also has the health check symbol.

Normally I drink Silk, and the staff at Starbuck's told me it's not sold here in Thailand.

They import it from Australia.

Hope this helps.

Whilst on the subject of milk, is there a cows milk available in Thailand which is "lactose free"?

we got the same trouble, and it's funny for a country where 98% of people are lactose intolerant : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance

we're unable to find lactose free product, the first time i came in thailand, i was eating a cheap chocolate icecream from 7/11 12baths and after a few days i found out that i had no symptoms, i had a look on the protective plastic for the list of ingredients, it was milk free...

i'll have a look at the name next time i'm going to a 7/11.

PS: you can order some lactase pills if you really feel the need.

Edited by NHJ