Phuket Air Crisis: We Test Plane Versus Bus

alanmorison

What's better value, plane or bus from Phuket to Bangkok and back?

With air closures and fuel costs pushing up prices, the road may be a winner. A Phuketwan reporter took up the challenge.

By Chutima Sidasathian

IT WAS a moving experience. Going to Bangkok by plane, coming back to Phuket by bus, then describing which was the best.

In terms of cost, there was no comparison. The bus won by a long distance. The flight was about three times more expensive, and there were extra hidden costs.

It's harder to book a plane than a bus these days since Nok Air and One-Two-Go stopped flying the route. People are looking at low-cost alternatives.

Everything is changing. I flew Thai Air Asia and they charged an extra 50 baht for my small piece of luggage. That did not happen the last time I caught a plane.

And I had to get from the old Don Muang airport to where I needed to be, so that was either a taxi fare or a longer trip by bus.

Flying to Phuket, I'd probably need a minibus or a taxi to Phuket City. The bus, though, drops me in the centre of town.

COMING back, we caught the bus at the Southern Bus Station, in Putamonton 1. It's a new bus station with facilities that are better than many airports.

Showers are available for three baht, along with a toilet at the same price. Tissue is five baht.

It was a 24-seater, and I scored a good seat on the window, with my friend alongside. A blanket is provided for each passenger, unlike on the aircraft.

There is also a small bottle of water and a snack. There's Thai custard and a piece of bread to spread it on. And there's a cold towel to wipe your face and hands.

We get to watch TV. For half an hour, there are karaoke songs. Then a foreign movie comes on.

It's 'Robocop', and the English version is screened, with Thai subtitles.

A bus hostess patrols the aisle, making sure everyone is content. There are two drivers, and one takes over after six hours to make sure the trip is a safe one.

If time is not a big issue for you, these days a VIP bus is better value.

-- For details on prices, go to www.phuketwan.com

The bus is a poor alternative. I wouldn't even consider taking the bus unless I'd the time to do the journey in stages, but then you'd have hotel costs etc. There's also the safety factor too - I know where I'd rather take my chances.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour