The Fourth Lever

Lelipad

To your courtesy

I am presently using an old Suzuki car without owner manual. It is a two doors, canvas top, “jeep” type, probably an “SJ” series, probably a “Jimni”, or a “Sidekick” or a “Holden Drover”, probably deriving or from the Vitara, or from the Samurai or from the Sierra. I “try” to attach the sketch of this car.

On this car there are 4 levers at driver’s disposal:

the first is: for the four speed manual transmission

the second is: to shift from 2 wheel drive to four wheel drive

the third is: the hand brake

then there is this fourth lever which has an handle with an arrow pointing toward the engine printed on it. Bringing the handle up it is possible to change the direction of the arrow to the right, the left and the back.

I would like to know which the use of this fourth lever is and which the exact name of this car is. I would also appreciate knowing the technical details of the engine and it would be wonderful if I you could get a suggestion on the existence of a web site from where I could download the owner manual in English for exactly this car.

Thank you in advance

post-38968-1217842692_thumb.jpg

...an update (sorry if the writting style is different from normal - a friend has been helping with pictures and stuff today) we have been able to confirm the vehicle in question is a Suzuki Jimny - SJ41 (from the maker's plate stamped into the engine bay). The engine is is a small 970cc unit, four speed manual gearbox with 4x4 transfer box. We are unsure of the year of the vehicle, blue book not at this house, but maybe dates back up to 20 years?

The image below shows the control in question circled in red.

gallery_38968_948_16012.jpg

The control is a 'T' shaped handle that lifts slightly when it is turned anti-clockwise. The handle does not turn clockwise. When turned anti-clockwise the handle locks into each 90o position as you turn the lever through 360o. One end of the handle has an embossed arrow (in the image you can see it pointing towards the transfer box gear stick), it almost implies that this switches between front and rear wheel drive ?? (This is the writer's idea rather than my friend Lelipad's).

Any ideas anybody?

If there is someone with any links to online manuals or user guides for this vehicle it would be most helpful.

Thanks.

L