Gold For Usa Basketball?

Huggy..my comment wasn't made or intended in any negative manner at all...

To me it's just interesting, how certain U.S. sports have evolved along ethnic lines, as you mentioned using the example of golf. Or, why aren't there more black quarterbacks in the NFL???

As I said, I played basketball all through school, as did my younger brother...by virtue of both of us being tall. And when we played, we mostly played with fellow black teammates...

I'm certainly a victim of the "White Men Can't Jump" syndrome (at least, certainly not like those guys on TV do... hehehehehe.....) As I mentioned, I watched some of the play last night and wondered... WOW... How'd they do that????!!!

To be fair, of course, I didn't see any non Chinese ethnics on the Chinese team either.

"PS - Speaking as a white guy former basketball player, were there any white guys who made it into the game on the USA side???"

Now, now, easy, lets not get into a "race card" slinging match here. It is what it is. Other than Vijay Singh, did you see any black guys on the leaderboard in the PGA Championship? No, lets leave this stuff alone, it's more a societal factor (hoops in inner city playgrounds) then a race matter.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't surprised by this game at all. China's team is pretty hobbled by Yao Ming's injuries and they don't have any decent point guards to contend with the U.S. superstars. Look if you have Kobe Bryant and Lebron on one team it's pretty much time for the opposing team to pack it up and go home. The team this year is lightyears ahead over the Athens 2004 B and C level NBA talent. It's actually almost comparable to the 1992 dream team. If Shaq was in his prime and on the team it WOULD be better than the 1992 dream team.

Still, China was pretty scrappy in the open. Their plan wasn't a bad one..put Yao in to draw defenders and then post up 3's all night. The problem is after the first half they stopped sinking those 3 pointers and were just whiffing. That was pretty much the major flaw of that plan.

I don't think any of the European teams will be a serious contender. Maybe Spain..but I kind of doubt it. The U.S. has fielded the equivalent of a basketball weapon of mass destruction this time around.

"Huggy..my comment wasn't made or intended in any negative manner at all..."

"Or, why aren't there more black quarterbacks in the NFL???"

O.K., no worries, I just didn't want to see the thread deterirate into some race nonsense.

Second comment: because they are smart and they are playing hoops instead of of geting smacked around playing football.

Lastly, bad race joke:

What are the three shortest books ever written?

1. Jewish book of business ethics

2. Arab book on body deodorants

3. Blacks that I've seen while yachting

Sorry folks, couldn't help myself...........

Huggy..my comment wasn't made or intended in any negative manner at all...

To me it's just interesting, how certain U.S. sports have evolved along ethnic lines, as you mentioned using the example of golf. Or, why aren't there more black quarterbacks in the NFL???

A good question - - 15 years ago. :o

U.S.A. breaks 100, free corn dogs for everyone! (see "Semi-Pro"). The international game is so different from an NBA game; shorter (40 min. v 48 min), quicker, less defense, fewer fouls, fun to watch. The Malayasian satellite feed had really good U.S. commentators.

Next up, Angola, Tuesday, 12 August 19:00 local Bangkok time.

Lithuania beat Argentina, Croatia beat Autralia.

The U.S. Women's basketball team plays China today at 19:00. The U.S. Women's team is excellent; Gold for them I'd say.

Lom, what place out did you end up going to watch the game???? If it was good, maybe give it a try for the ladies tonight...or Tuesday...if they end up showing those games....

U.S. men v. China was a sure bet to broadcast... But I'm wondering if the women will get equal broadcast treatment...or if the Thai TV will care to show U.S. men v. Angola...

I watched the men at home last night on NBT... Gotta say...for basketball, didn't miss having an English play-by-play at all...

Other than Vijay Singh, did you see any black guys on the leaderboard in the PGA Championship?

Not making the cut isn't what I call being on the leaderboard.....

sorry, I actually did not look at the leaderboard, was just making a point regarding race and sports not necessarily being as large a factor as society and sports. Point being, it is more logical to think that Afro-American kids with accessible playground basketball courts are more apt to be professional basketball players than golfers.

I wasn't surprised by this game at all. China's team is pretty hobbled by Yao Ming's injuries and they don't have any decent point guards to contend with the U.S. superstars. Look if you have Kobe Bryant and Lebron on one team it's pretty much time for the opposing team to pack it up and go home. The team this year is lightyears ahead over the Athens 2004 B and C level NBA talent. It's actually almost comparable to the 1992 dream team. If Shaq was in his prime and on the team it WOULD be better than the 1992 dream team.

Still, China was pretty scrappy in the open. Their plan wasn't a bad one..put Yao in to draw defenders and then post up 3's all night. The problem is after the first half they stopped sinking those 3 pointers and were just whiffing. That was pretty much the major flaw of that plan.

I don't think any of the European teams will be a serious contender. Maybe Spain..but I kind of doubt it. The U.S. has fielded the equivalent of a basketball weapon of mass destruction this time around.

ESPN had the best quote on China. 1.3 billion people and not a point gaurd among them.

ESPN had the best quote on China. 1.3 billion people and not a point gaurd among them.

To be fair China has really only been playing at the pro level for about 10 years. This is compared to 40+ years of U.S. Basketball athlete cultivation from the high school level all way up to NBA.

To be fair China has really only been playing at the pro level for about 10 years. This is compared to 40+ years of U.S. Basketball athlete cultivation from the high school level all way up to NBA.

its only a matter of time

I'm looking forward to the soul searching when the yanks are kicked out.

"Soul searching"

Now that's a bit overboard.

Vegas, is your tiddly-winks team doing well?

Tiddlywinks? Is that a yank sport, never heard of it.

fyi...went by Bourbon St. last night...and they were not showing any Olympics on their tvs...

so moved over to Larry's Dive, and they had on Super Sports 5 from South Africa (???)

Saw a good women's volleyball match with the Japanese team... But wondered...why were they showing that instead of China vs. USA in women's basketball???

fyi...went by Bourbon St. last night...and they were not showing any Olympics on their tvs...

so moved over to Larry's Dive, and they had on Super Sports 5 from South Africa (???)

Saw a good women's volleyball match with the Japanese team... But wondered...why were they showing that instead of China vs. USA in women's basketball???

SuperSport (South African satellite) has multiple (at least four) Olympics channels, so all you had to do was ask to have the channel changed at Larry's Dive as I am pretty sure SuperSport had the game.

http://www.supersport.co.za/olympics/

I only watched the first half of the U.S. Women's game v. China.

Edited by lomatopo

Wow... China gets dumped two games in a row..first by us (USA) and now by the Spainards... Basketball's not going to be their highlight of the games....

Did the USA really beat the Angola team??? I find that very hard to believe!!!! :o

It depends on the officiating. My guess is that China will be hard to beat.

"Hard"?????

:o:D:D:D

I am happy the officials were fair. This has not always been the case. Few Americans who were around in 1972 will ever forget how the US was cheated in the final against Russia. It was so bad that the US team didn't show up the next day to receive their silver medals and to this day none of these medals have been claimed. In international competition, the best team does not always win.

This link has the results and schedule for the U.S. Men's Team (scroll down). Next up: Greece, Thursday, 14 Aug, 19:00 Bangkok time, matches against Spain (16 Aug. 21:15) and Germany (18 Aug. 19:00) follow to complete the preliminary round.

Medal games: Basketball, times are Bangkok local (one hour behind Beijing)

Sat Aug 23 18:30 Women's Bronze Medal Game - Game 73

Sat Aug 23 21:00 Women's Gold Medal Game - Game 74

Sun Aug 24 11:00 Men's Bronze Medal Game - Game 75

Sun Aug 24 13:30 Men's Gold Medal Game - Game 76

Payback, such as it was, for the 1972 debacle (the game officials wre not the problem, they were overridden by the FIBA head) came in Lake Placid in 1980.

Edited by lomatopo

They (USA) literally ran away with the game... outran and outshot the Chinese team...

At one point late in the game, the broadcasters showed a graphic saying the USA had a 12-2 lead over the Chinese in steals...

It certainly wasn't perfect play, but the USA guys actually looked like a TEAM...instead of just a bunch of superstars playing as individuals... That was kind of heartening...after some past years...

Despite some miscues, there was some great ball handling to be seen.... making me remember why basketball is an American sport at heart... Some of those plays...I found myself saying... HOW'd he do THAT????

PS - Speaking as a white guy former basketball player, were there any white guys who made it into the game on the USA side???

Do you still play ball??? looking to start a team, sponsored and everything

It depends on the officiating. My guess is that China will be hard to beat.

"Hard"?????

:o:D:D:D

I am happy the officials were fair. This has not always been the case. Few Americans who were around in 1972 will ever forget how the US was cheated in the final against Russia. It was so bad that the US team didn't show up the next day to receive their silver medals and to this day none of these medals have been claimed. In international competition, the best team does not always win.

As a follow up to my post above concerning international competition, check out China's female gymnastic team. Their own sportswriters had the ages of half of their gold medal winning team as underage.

I hope the US wins gold here, but a call here and a call there and it could well begin to look like Donaghy is officiating.

I confirmed that they will be showing the U.S.A. Men's Basketball game vs. Greece tonight at the Big Mango Bar (Sukhumvit Soi 4). Game starts at 19:00. Not sure about Saturday night's game as it conflicts with EPL and Tri-Nations (possibly).

Well after having watched four of the five preliminary round games I definitely have to modify my prediction and say that Gold for both the U.S. Men's and Women's teams seems assured.

Last night's total annihilation of Spain, 119 - 82, was very impressive. Dwayne Wade is the best player so far, while not a starter as soon as he comes in the defense picks up several notches resulting in many easy baskets. He seems to guard the opponents' best player, rebound, lead the fast break and even ends up with a fair amount of points. Next up, Germany then on to the quarterfinals.

Well after having watched four of the five preliminary round games I definitely have to modify my prediction and say that Gold for both the U.S. Men's and Women's teams seems assured.

Last night's total annihilation of Spain, 119 - 82, was very impressive. Dwayne Wade is the best player so far, while not a starter as soon as he comes in the defense picks up several notches resulting in many easy baskets. He seems to guard the opponents' best player, rebound, lead the fast break and even ends up with a fair amount of points. Next up, Germany then on to the quarterfinals.

Spain has a good team with Gasol and Rubio (17 yr old many think will go in the first round next draft). Still, as you put it, total annihilation. I thought Spain would make it a lot closer, but it was obvious, no team can match the US's team speed. It seemed that most of the US's points were coming from under the basket.

I don't mean to jinx the US team, but I was wrong in thinking the officials could gift wrap a game to an opposing team. In order to do that, the game would have to be close and there isn't another team that can play close to the US.

I still dont believe how there was any doubt in anyone heads that the US was had a Gold Medal in Basketball....come on Yall, really? Did you really think otherwise? The minute Kobe Bryant sign that he was gonna play it was a wrap, gold 110%! The world basketball is good, good enough to beat the C class NBA players etc, but this this team is a statement to the world: "dont get it twisted, we are the best and we are gonna show you that, so pls dont get carried away cause you played good in the past".

Now about wade being the best player??? wow.....not even, its actually Kobe who guards the other teams best player, always. Thats what He pledged and thats what he has done, wade lebron and the whole squad plays well, but the leader will always be Kobe, wether he plays the best that night or not he is the guy, he dosent have to pass the ball, he dosent have to set anyone up, he can take the whole team by himself, but he is playing Team ball....can anyone remember him scoring 40 or more points in 16 consecutive games in the NBA? with NBA defense and star power? not including the 81 point game he had? The Lakers or Boston Celtics team can beat any world team or country team, and thats real. So I said it the first time and i will say it again, Its a GOLD MEDAL IN THEIR POCKET FOR THE USA BASKETBALL TEAM.......

I am saying all this cause everyone got all excited thinking the US lost its "world hold" in basketball cause of the 2004 Olympic and the 2006 world champioship....Pls, it was a huge mistake to send class B and C players,How are you gonna have your best player in the 2004 squad (carmelo anthony, aver. 37points per game) come into the NBA in 2003? See what I mean? And even though this squad is kiiling the competition, what if other superstars would of came? Garnett maybe, he can take Tyshun Princes spot then what would happend. so stop with the whole the US aint gonna win or what not , this is a statement.

I still dont believe how there was any doubt in anyone heads that the US was had a Gold Medal in Basketball....come on

Yeah it's great having all the naysayers in this thread eat their words.

JimJim, best not give up your day job for a sports prognosticator position.

Koheesti, completely off the mark.

Vegas, when talking about the American team being "kicked out" I guess you have a case due to the unsportsmanlike thrashings team USA has been dishing out.

I still dont believe how there was any doubt in anyone heads that the US was had a Gold Medal in Basketball....come on

Yeah it's great having all the naysayers in this thread eat their words.

JimJim, best not give up your day job for a sports prognosticator position.

Koheesti, completely off the mark.

Vegas, when talking about the American team being "kicked out" I guess you have a case due to the unsportsmanlike thrashings team USA has been dishing out.

This is 100% TRUE!!!!!!!!!

Now about wade being the best player??? wow.....not even, its actually Kobe who guards the other teams best player, always. Thats what He pledged and thats what he has done, wade lebron and the whole squad plays well, but the leader will always be Kobe, ....

I was basing my comments strictly on having watched all the games so far, and now just off to watch the final preliminary round game vs. Germany. I had not seen the U.S. Men’s team play until the first game against China, and while they looked wonderful on paper, I really had no idea how well they would play together, and how well they could have implemented a FIBA-oriented game-plan.

Dwayne Wade is averaging 17.75 PPG v to Kobe Bryant’s 12.5 PPG while playing fewer minutes. Wade is also shooting a much higher percentage; he was 7 of 7 on FG’s vs. China. He plays with much more intensity.; when he comes in, in the first quarter, the U.S. sprints away.

Kobe Bryant is a great individual player, no question maybe number 1/1A in the NBA. However he is no leader, thank goodness too, as I am a Celtics fan so it was nice, and totally expected, to see him fold in the NBA Finals. I’d love to hear Phil Jackson’s uncensored comments re: Kobe’s leadership qualities. Were I an NBA GM and I could have my pick of players I would avoid Kobe Bryant like the plague, and I’d encourage my no. 1 rival to choose him as their team ‘leader’. He's the A-Rod of the NBA.

Edited by lomatopo

I have to agree with the other poster that Wade is the best player on the USA squad. Over the last 3 years, when he was healthy, he was the best player in the world. I came to that conclusion in 2006 when I watched an unbelievably weak Miami Heat team win the NBA championship. Basically the other Heat players just handed the ball to Wade every game in the 4th quarter and he single handedly took apart the Mavericks. No other player could have done what he did with the crap team that he had. After that I started to watch Wade and how he fared in his individual matchups; especially when he and Kobe went head-to-head. I love Kobe but Wade won the match-up every time. Give him any kind of team and he is unstoppable.