Farang Segmentation

Mango-Guy

A comment by LC got me thinkin'...what kinda people are faranging it in LOS? I'm not that well qualified to comment as I'm still not over there, but reading this forum you get an idea. Leaving aside the tourists, it seems there are three farang groups:

1) True Expats - on assignment at a multinational or university

2) Retired / Semi Folk - who have jumped their own country for Thailand life

3) ESL Teachers - long term travellers or lost souls who eek out a living

Is that about right? Anyone have a better segmentation? :o

A comment by LC got me thinkin'...what kinda people are faranging it in LOS?  I'm not that well qualified to comment as I'm still not over there, but reading this forum you get an idea.  Leaving aside the tourists, it seems there are three farang groups:

Is that about right?  Anyone have a better segmentation?  :o

Well, first, for one, considering the fact that just because a person is foreigner in Thailand does not automatically mean that they are "Farang", I do think you should expand your initial classifications a bit.... :D

A comment by LC got me thinkin'...what kinda people are faranging it in LOS?  I'm not that well qualified to comment as I'm still not over there, but reading this forum you get an idea.  Leaving aside the tourists, it seems there are three farang groups:

Seems to me that most people on the forum don't live here in Thailand.

There are several foreigers work in Thailand as opposed to working at a university. Some work for multi-national companies and are on ex-pat packages. These usually include nice salaries (in dollars) and benefits such as living allowances. Other less fortunate foreign individuals have been hired locally, receiving less than nice salries in baht without benefits. Ironically, to get the former you usually have to be hired from outside the country thus costing more and knowing less. What should happen is that after 2-3 years the ex-pat contract finishes and the ex-pat returns home or converts to LHS status. However, the latter is rare, as most opt to take the money and run. In both cases, it is key that one doesn't compete in any way with local Thais, otherwise you might as well be making a Thai salary, which except on very-rare occasions is not enough money to satisfy most farang.

That's a good point English Noodles. 

Actually I was hoping to get some input on what kind "farang groups" live in Thailand.  I don't view my own quick classification as complete or accurate, that's why it's not a poll.  Anyway, whatever.

Can't speak for others MG, but I'd probably classify myself as an "evolving ex-pat." That is, I don't currently live in LoS but am planning to gradually begin spending more time there as time goes on.

My fiancee' and I are building a home in her village. It is where we will spend only a little time in the short term years, but a good bit of time in our later years.

As I can earn better bucks outside of LoS, and am possibly in the peak earning years of my career, it makes sense to chase the cash now. This is to ensure that I will be able to properly support my family to-be, and save to live comfortably in retirement or semi-retirement.

I don't know that either we will ever live full time in LoS. I work abroad and my fiancee' and her daughter will come to be with me when there are school breaks. And I will come to be with them when there are work breaks.

We chose to make the house in LoS first. But we will also eventually have another place elsewhere in the world, possibly in the states.

On the other hand, I have a lot of ideas for starting or being an investor in some businesses local to the region where our house is. If there is a way to generate some decent cash flow through these means, then I would certainly like to spend more time in LoS.

Maybe I've digressed slightly from your original idea for the thread. Or maybe not.

:D

Cheers,

Spee (สพี)

How about

4) none of the above

I am not a teacher, not here on assignment and far too young to be retired. I live with my Thai husband and have been living here for over 15 years. So, I guess that puts me square in the number 4 category :D

7. The old farts (should have returned home in the early 70's) who hang around the British Club complaing about the natives, the help, and get pissed on G&T saying things like 'what what old chap?' and 'Bang on - jolly good show'

8. The old Aussie farts who were last in Australia when Gough was PM and speak with an Ocker Ozzie accent which puts Crocodile Dundee's to shame. They all seemed to be named 'Bruce' or 'Bob' for some strange reason.

• 2 weeks later...