Foreign Expaitrate Workers

The government needs to lift labour market barriers to allow foreigners to work in the country. The Thai and every economy in the world cannot live on the local talent only. The job market must be based on skills and knowledge and

not on nationality. Many other cities in Asia have foreign expats working in the country because their labour market is not restrictive like Thailand. Can foreigners get jobs in Thai or foreign corporate offices in Thailand? The acoounting sector needs to be open to foreigners for sure. What is your opinion and information on this matter?

Britianmal

It's always good to air your thoughts and get things off your chest but you don't have to yell. (use of capitals indicates the use of a LOUD VOICE or someone trying to beat their point into others).

I would also suggest before critising others it may be worth your while taking an inward look - you could brush up on your grammar (pie sic) and spelling.

Can get foreigners get jobs (???) in Thai or foreign corporate offices in Thailand)? (not with this standard of English) The acoounting (accounting) sector needs to be open to foreigners for sure. ( simply put it is if you have the quals etc) What is your opinion and information on this matter?

many other cities in asian

do you meen Asia or ASEAN?

Its always nice to put a positive spin on things.

Regards

Mijan24 :o

I think you are quite right Britainmal (notwithstanding your interesting text). In general, free enterprise and minimal government drag is best. I think the labyrinth of regulations for one to be completely legit over here is rather absurd and counter-productive.

But Thailand isn't the only country with restrictions on foreigners working. In fact, just about every country does something similar. I know that America has specific visa categories and there are lots of foreign students who sweat whether that part time job they're taking will end up with their deportation.

Besides, it's not as if any of the working rules are really enforced too much if you don't bother anybody. There have to be thousands of technically illegal english teachers working and tens of thousands of tourists/residents who bend the rules at some point or another.

Sorry for the large text size. Actually, I was in a hurry writing the message. I editted the message for your viewing purposes. Actually, USA is not strict on labour regulations like Thailand, in fact USA was voted the freeiest economy in world after Singapore. In the USA, If you live a certain amount of years on a student or work visa and you can get residence. In the Thailand, you can't . You also have many restriction in Thailand that you must hire a certain amount of foreign staff to Thai and even some positions you can't at all hire foreigners. Look at Hong kong and Singapore and see how many expats compared to foreigners. Don't include English teachers.

Sorry for the large text size.  Actually, I was in a hurry writing the message.  I editted the message for your viewing purposes.  Actually, USA is not strict on labour regulations like Thailand, in fact USA was voted the freeiest economy in world after Singapore.  In the USA, If you live a certain amount of years on a student or work visa and you can get residence.  In the Thailand, you can't .  You also have many restriction in Thialand that you must hire a certain amount of foreign staff to Thai and even some positions you can't at all hire foreigners.  Look at Hong kong  and Singapore and see how many expats compared to foreigners. Don't include English teachers.

Where TF is Thialand and did that editt take long ?

Look at Hong kong  and Singapore and see how many expats compared to foreigners. Don't include English teachers.

You do need a work permit to take up employment in HK and it will not be granted unless there is a good reason. If it appears that you are taking a potential job from a permanent resident it will not be granted, i.e. you would need to demonstrate that you have a skill which is not available locally.

There are more expats in HK for historic reasons, not because the employment regulations are lax.

Okay,

IMHO every country can benefit from an influx of skilled, foreign workers. Just take the UK for example with the introduction of Indian/Pakistani doctors and nurses etc. The UK government realised in the 50's/60's that the NHS was severely understaffed and due to the training given to indian/pakistani nationals and the setting up of hospitals etc. in those countries by the British they were ideal candidates. In return the government gave the migrant workers housing, health care, well paid jobs etc. etc.

The thing with Thailand is that the PM and government don't wan't foreigners in the country, unless they are short-time tourists with loads of available cash to spend. If you allow foreigners into the country to reside and work then you are exposing yourself to the possibility of the foreigners demands, better state run schools, public health facilities, better wages, cleaner streets etc. etc. The Thai PM is renowned for his wealth and businesses, just what would happen if foreigners started competing in business with him and the 'upper classes' like him who, so far, have had an easy ride.

I own a beautiful house in Thailand (Banglamung/Chonburi), and am married to a Thai national who lives here in the UK with me. I would love to be able to offer my skills (I'm a UK-based Software company owner) and expertise to the Thai people in return for the ability and privilege to live there full-time. The government (under the rule of the PM) have seen fit to make it as difficult as possible (if not impossible) to allow the younger generations (under 50's of course) to reside on a permanent basis.

Just my Two'pennorth,

D

KOTDA -

I'm not sure who has told you what, but it is not particularly hard to set up and operate here long-term, so long as you are willing to be flexible, and follow the path of least resistance.

Thailand is run to benefit Thais, not foreigners. If, as a foreigner, you prosper here, they make sure that - along the way - you provide benefit to at least four Thai employees, a landlord, an accountant and an auditor - and contribute to the Thai tax coffers. 'Not such a big deal.

There is a lot of bureacracy - but most of it is predicttable. It takes 3-4 weeks to set up a company (but - in a pinch - about 17 days). It takes 10 days to obtain a work permit. OK - so it takes a while. How often in life will you start a new Thai company, or obtain an initial work permit?

Getting citizenship - or even permanent residency - is hard for a male foreigner. So - try becoming a citizen of Japan, or Korea. Then come back and tell me how hard Thailand is.

Land ownership is restricted, and it is truly painful to obatin an Alien Business License to operate as a company that is majority-owned by foreigners. So - work around these restrictions - if you have a Thai spouse, these should not be significant problems.

If you have strong financial resources, good educational credentials, and a string work ethic, Thailand is a great place to live and start a business. At least - that is what I have found to be the case.

I have generally found that what is hardest for foreigners to actually deal with is the fact that Thailand operates in Thai language. I do not know on even one foreigner who speaks Thai language well, who has any problem with living in Thailand.

Cheers!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

i do not agree with all of khun thaksin polcy BUT - talking about alien majority in owning land and major business - i admit, i agree. same could have happened to my country if there wasn't rules: millions (ok, be realistic: hundreds of thousands) germans would have been able to buy austrian (1st class) property in the late 70's IF there wasn't govt regulations. I can tell you something: nowadays, austrians are happy (da*n happy) that this rule (still) exists as - otherwise - ownership of land would have been in total rich, prosperious "farang"-hand and it would be these ppl in particular ruling the market prices. Same would happen to Thailand if it wasn't somebody like khun Thaksin. Sorry to say that (as I intend(ed) to buy land in Thailand for myself) but it is relatively ok-rule...

blah, blah, blah...

Britainmal,

Not sure what you are basing your opinions on, but it is certainly not any fact. I have worked in 5 Asian countries in the past 10 years, including Thailand and I have not found Thailand any more or less restrictive in employing foreigners.

And to answer your specific question, yes, foreigners can jobs in Thai and foreign company offices (I have one). Not sure why you single out the accounting sector as especially needing to be opened to foreigners. My experience is there is very little need for foreign expertise in that field, except maybe on a managerial level of a Multi-National.

Have you by chance had a bad experience trying to get job here?

Th

blah, blah, blah...

Britainmal,

Not sure what you are basing your opinions on, but it is certainly not any fact.

Ol' Britainmal pops up from time to time with a rant for all of us to chew over. Although I think his heart is in the right place, most of the time it is not based on the reality of the situation, and sounds more like the perspective of someone who spends the majority of his time on a barstool while in thailand. In many cases, his views don't take into account the legitimate Thai side of the argument, or the Thai legitimate Thai approaches to doing things (for thinking this way you get branded a Thaksin lover....urghhh)

In this case, there are frankly many many foreign professionals (lawyers, accountants, IT experts, economists) in all fields, working in Bangkok and Thailand more generally. Unfortunately most of them tend to lead pretty normal lives and not pop up on Britainmals radar screen.

Places like Hong Kong and Singapore may have more efficient rules for processing work permits, but the premise of getting a work permit in those places remains the same - you only get one if it can be proven that no local resident is able to do the job.

Alas, even places like Singapore do not automatically recognise foreign qualifications, and until the recent spate of FTA's between Singapore and places like Australia and the US, it was difficult for while collar workers such as lawyers and accountants to automatically work there.

Thank you samran. My Heart is in the right place , but everything else you said was wrong. There are no nationality restriction laws in places like Singapore and Hong Kong. That is the problem. As far as Work permit and visa red tape process goes, Thailand is much more stricter compared with Singapore and Hong Kong. I know many foreign business men who agree with me that Thailand has more red tape than places like Singapore and Hong Kong. There was an article about Thailand wanting to be regional corporate headquarter hub in Asia. They promoted the cheap office prices , but they did not want to reform their labour and red tape visa restrictions. This proves my point and show that samran seems to be very mislead, whoever is feeding her that information. The law and accounting field is off limits to foreigners, but USA citizens can own a law firm, but can't run the business. That is also not true that Singapore did not recognize foreign qualification until they had FTA with other countires. Singapre is the second freeest economy in the world. They have the most open immigration policy in Asia. Samram and others who disagree with me should know I can't change your views but I just want to open your minds up to different thoughts. When I talk about foreign expaitre workers I am refering to employees or employers or multi-national companys either Thai or foreign. I am not taking about business owners that invested in a bussiness or foreigners working in the media , English Language teaching or Education field.

Although it was hard to get the first job initialy, I have found that once you live here and network enough, more and better jop offers will come along. The same applies to my farang friends who switch from company to company on a regular base.

Obviously depends on your background but its really not that hard and all companies have always gotten me a work permit and the rest.