Enormous Rise In Prices, Am I Just Dreaming?

MART

I just bought a business class ticket LHR-SYD with stopovers in BKK in December for £100 more than I paid in April, so it's still possible to get reasonable prices if you choose carefully. This is on Thai, as was the previous flight.

I pay 30 pounds more then last year for return to BKK but that is mainly taxes. But then today saw a return LHR direct with EVA advertised and bookable for 520 including taxes which is similar to offers a year ago. Guess you hust have to know where and when to look

Increasing prices in Thailand is a contagious thing, one person does it and everyone follows. Interesting that in all my years here I have never seen prices decline once they have been increased - I think it's a face thing.

I live in Pai, and this is what I have learned:

a. in Pai, the Thai Yai raise prices on Thai Holidays because the BKK Thai think they are not in a nice room if the price is too low.

b. When the Thai are here, the Chao Tarng Prathed are not here.

c. Airfares to/from N. America used to have a small tax and surcharge amount, and now they are about 500 usd.

d. Governments are retrofitting airports and padding pockets while the citizenry suffers.

e. The Gov'ts don't want us to travel around the world because they are learning that once we get out of our respective countries (like the USA is my citizenship) they can't control our access to knowledge, assorted well-educated people from around the world, and/or information any longer.

f. The world is changing. And the elite will have access to information and knowledge, and the rest will be left holding dissintegrating toilet paper.

Etihad flights available ex Heathrow for Sept/Oct to Bangkok fr £399.00 incl tax. Offers on all the usual travel websites.

KLM/AIR FRANCE is starting this coming weekend with LOW flight prices to try and fill 10's of thousands of empty chairs to many destinations, incuding Far East.

The point is that it will be valid until the half/end of November.

After that, probably back to business as usual. More expensive flights again, nev er mind the much lower oil prices; we'll see.

LaoPo

I have been checking almost daily on flights from Chicago to Bangkok since January (tells you how long I have been planning our trip for January 09 :o ) and when I first started looking the fare was around 1050 USD. Come July when I booked the flight it was 1290 which was a deal compared to everything I was seeing (some as high as 1800!).

I have still monitored the flights (just because I am anal like that) and have seen no change in price yet our departure options are dwindling to say the least. Our connection to Seoul (as well as three others) has been cancelled and we were condensed on another flight. It seems that instead of reducing the price to meet demand and possibly stimulate an upward turn in it, they are reducing the supply and keeping the prices high.

Etihad flights available ex Heathrow for Sept/Oct to Bangkok fr £399.00 incl tax. Offers on all the usual travel websites.

KLM/AIR FRANCE is starting this coming weekend with LOW flight prices to try and fill 10's of thousands of empty chairs to many destinations, incuding Far East.

The point is that it will be valid until the half/end of November.

After that, probably back to business as usual. More expensive flights again, nev er mind the much lower oil prices; we'll see.

LaoPo

Never saw BKK on the usual KLM/AF offers, they have 2 flight continuing to Taipei and Vietnam and they are always full, even if for december they are at 1200E with 400E fuel surcharge... :o

Going to London from Italy is hel_l (do they ruote baggage os just throw them away?).

Going with arabs we pay twice, first the flight, second with the car....

Alitalia is the best, we pay even if we do not fly.

Sigh... :D