New Motorbike Purchase, What Does Dealer Require?

fearless1

Hi,

I'm planning on buying a new motorbike here in Chiang Mai. I have a retirement visa and I live in an apartment here in town.

What do I need when I go to the dealer to buy the bike? Hopefully, any form I need can be aquired here in Chiang Mai, and doesn't entail a trip to Bangkok.

Thanks,

Brian

Fearless Brian,

When you go to the dealer to check out colors and models to consider and to get the prices sorted, just ask them. The dealers are not all the same about paperwork requirements. If you are lucky, a passport might be enough.

Given that you'll almost certainly want the dealer to handle the registration, AFAIK it's inevitable that you'll need a confirmation of your address in Thailand for that - your name on the tabien baan (if you have it) or a letter from your consulate/embassy. Based on my experience with a Suzuki main dealer, they'll also want to photocopy your passport and get you to sign it; as always with such things, add a notation that the signed copy is only for this purpose. You can take the bike away once you've done the necessary paperwork and go back for the licence plate a few weeks later.

I've bought a couple of bikes here in Chiang Mai (different brands/dealers) and in both cases to carry out the registration on your behalf, they needed a Letter of Residence (available from your consulate/embassy) and a copy of the passport - ID page & visa page.

Like Steve2UK says, sign all copies and if they try to insist on the original Letter of Residence, give them a signed copy as you won't get it back and at least at the British consulate, it costs approx 2,300 THB!

In both cases, the book/plate took about 90 days to arrive but they give you a piece of paper in Thai to show the police if you get a pull before you have your plate.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey

Yep - same experience as others here ... I needed a copy of my passport including one of the visa page and the letter from the Embassy confirming my address.

Bike was prepared and collected the same day, registration plate, tax slip and 'Green Book' arrived two weeks later by post.

The cost included compulsory insurance but I also paid for 3 years theft cover.

A simple, painless experience .... unlike riding the bike in Bangkok!

The very helpful guys at Yamaha Square did mention that the rules about the copy of the passport were about to change and in future you may need a copy of the passport that shows every page. With a much-used 40 page passport this could be a bit of a nuisance.