City Bus Explodes At NGV Gas Station

george

Explosion at an NGV gas station injures a man in Samut Prakarn

SAMUT PRAKARN: -- A public bus was damaged from an explosion when it was refilling NGV gas at a gas station in Samut Prakarn province, injuring a gas station boy on Friday.

The explosion shattered window glasses of nearby vehicles lining up for their turns at the station.

Police said it was lucky that there was no passengers on the bus.

Initial investigation showed that the blast happened after the refilling of gas was nearly finished.

A station staff was about to remove the gas pipe from the vehicle when the explosion happened. The staff suffered from wounds at his legs.

Police said the bus operator has not yet obtained permission from the provincial authorities to operate the bus equipped with NGS gas tanks.

-- The Nation 2008-08-08

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NGV bus explodes at gas station

An NGV city bus exploded on Friday morning, when it was filling its tank. The explosion damaged five vehicles and injured a worker at the station.

According to police, initial reports show that the tank of the bus did not meet standard, thus could not hold pressure well enough.

The explosion caused windshield of vehicles parking nearby to shatter.

Source: Bangkok Post - 08 August 2008

i wonder who owns this bus and was there paperwork provided to it? Nevertheless almost all NGV stations always asks for a "PTT authorisation card" prior to fueling.

I think just another case of rejected tank bought cheap. Will follow up on this thread to see what actually happened.

That will be one of many, many explosions we will hear about or witness in the near future. We have been warned for a long time that the installation and inspection process for NGV and LPG powered cars is, like most everything else here, substandard. All life carries risk and sitting inside or standing outside of a taxi or bus here is a risk we must take. Those of us that live here accept certain levels of risk and we know that virtually everything made locally and installed by an untrained technician has the potential to kill and maim. We just shake our heads when you see the the "technician" pounding on a full or partially full fuel tank with a hammer or wrench. With the thousands of alternative fuel systems being installed locally in the next few years there will be more explosions, all preventable, reported in the media.

These explosions, death and injuries will perpetuate the myth that life is cheap here. Take the report of the 10 members of the military dying in a helicopter crash a few days ago. Didn't even make the front page in most of the newspapers. The thousands who have been murdered in the deep south over the past four years only get a couple of lines in the press unless the insurgents kill a child or cut someone's head off.

I personally hate more regulation here but the folks who install the alternative fuel systems need some oversight. It will save lives. These are the same "technicians" that will be building the nuclear power plants here in a few years. I suspect the accidents from those nuclear facilities will make the news and scare away some of the less adventurous tourists.

An NGV city bus exploded on Friday morning, when it was filling its tank. The explosion damaged five vehicles and injured a worker at the station.

According to police, initial reports show that the tank of the bus did not meet standard, thus could not hold pressure well enough.

Expect more of this as more people switch to these volatile fuels, particularly after they have the conversions done on the cheap.

Expect more of this as more people switch to these volatile fuels, particularly after they have the conversions done on the cheap.

Regulation of vehicle gas installations in Thailand is all but non existent.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/140708_Business...l2008_biz26.php

I WATCHED A MAN HAVE HIS HEAD BLOWN OF WHILE FILLING A TANK, A SPARK WAS ALL THAT IT TOOK, A BOMB WAITING TO HAPPEN IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING OR GET LAZY, THAT'S WHY MOST CONDOS AND HOTELS DON'T ALLOW, IT SCARES THE hel_l OUT OF ME WHEN I SEE THE TANKS BOUNCING DOWN THE ROAD NOT SECURED PROPERLY, SHOULD BE HANDLED LIKE A LOADED GUN AND ALL SHOULD BE TRAINED ON THE DO AND DO NOTS

I hope this will not (as always in Thailand, my country ;-) make people misunderstand and make too bad reputation about LPG & CNG.

Have any of you heard about ANG? Perhaps it's safer than CNG.

CNG = Compressed Natural Gas

ANG = Absorbed Natural Gas

Cheers,

Tony.

another myth about gas tanks. i don't know what happened with this bus, but car pressurized gas tanks don't just explode. usually they leak so the gas will come out and that all. even if they are of bad quality.

I think it is lucky that this is a bus, not a van. I saw bus driver always has their bus refilled without passenger. If you ever travel on an NGV van, you will see it come to refill with full passengers. And surprise, no body complain about this. May be life is considered not quite seriously here.

More regulations not help. the corruption is the problem. I know a guy with a "LPG" car here in Pattaya. His Gastank was old an he could not register it in the bue book, because the tank didn't match the safety standarts. He found a Taxidriver who had the "connection" to register his gastank for 5000 Baht. TIT. In the future I will ignore any Gasstations who sales LPG or NGV

I'm quite sure, in case of a accident nobody will ever pay anyway.

so many people reading this .. nothing better to do :o

or all retired ?

just wondering

This thread went out as Breaking News via email to anyone who subscribes to Thai Visa. That is why so many people get onto something like this so fast.

To Tiger Beer: I don't think mentioning the safety standards in this country is Thai bashing. This stuff is a reality of life here and if we choose to live here we pretty much have to accept the Thai way of life. It is good information for the tourists who are unaware of what actually goes on here all the time. It will give them a little insight as to the dangers and let them make informed choices regarding destinations and mode of travel.

so many people reading this .. nothing better to do :D

or all retired ?

just wondering

Maybe I don't have anything better to do, emphasis on maybe here. Is that a problem? I presume you are being a bit presumptuous, don't you have anything better to do? :o

Gas should be no more volatile than petrol. Obviously there was a leak from the tank. This would be about poor installation standards, I imagine, not about the general safety of gas. Gas is widely used on many countries as a vehicle fuel with minimal problems as long as maintenance is OK.

I've seen in some science articles that Gas and Gasoline won't ignite from just a cigarette. I also have seen in some TV shows they thrown a cigarette into a beaker of Gasoline, it just killed the cigarette.

Just FYI, they can be right but I will not risk it anyway.

another myth about gas tanks. i don't know what happened with this bus, but car pressurized gas tanks don't just explode. usually they leak so the gas will come out and that all. even if they are of bad quality.

I think it is lucky that this is a bus, not a van. I saw bus driver always has their bus refilled without passenger. If you ever travel on an NGV van, you will see it come to refill with full passengers. And surprise, no body complain about this. May be life is considered not quite seriously here.

Well, if all is up to code, people should not have to run away in fear anytime an NGV vehicle goes for a fill-up, should they? It shouldn't be a problem if the proper precautions are taken. If they knew they were in a van that had a substandard NGV tank than they shouldn't have gotten into the van in the first place.

Well, last week I had the questionable pleasure to watch the taxi I was sitting in being refilled at PTT station on Express Way shortly after the Sukhumvit Soi 62 exit.

The sound which was generated while refilling was rilly scary...felt quite queasy.

Before this turns into another Thai bashing thread & amongst all the put down on safety in Thailand , can I remind you of another Gas explosion (June 2008)that put 30% of ALL Business & Households out of commision & almost bought a State to its' knees , & it was a fluke that a few dozen workers weren't killed.

Western Australia , where there is suspicion that the so-called world class inspections on the pipes have been either not done or glossed over. Amazingly only ONE pipe frm the supplier to supply a whole State one third of the size of the whole USA.

Lack of safety or should I say, unsafe practises abound everywhere , wasn't it Indonesia where the Service Station Operator used a naked light to check the fuel level in a Tanker on the forecourt of the service Station?? he was the only one on fire luckily.

Wont even go into some of the Fuel & Gas tragedies in the USA,Australia,Europe that have happened over the years without even going anywhere near the Fuel Tankers crashed by unsafe driving.

Murphys Law is everywhere , you have just got to be cautious about your own actions wherever you are

:o

:D Regulations? I am sure the bus company had a permit from Kao San PTT station :D

This is just an isolated incident all Thais follow the rules and regulations. Like the noise regulation, no loud speakers in Lotus, Big C or Carrefour (sp?). They all wear motorcycle helmets, signal when turning, they dont drive on the sidewalks and always give right of way to pedestrians. :D

They dont drink on election day, tag and collar all their dogs and cats, they NEVER litter and most of all they respect their neighbor and dont have obnoxious loud karaoke parties till 3 am in the Moo Bahn. :D

So this is a wild card explosion and it will never happen again because of the strict regulations that they all follow :o

I just watched the Nok Air flight come into Pai through heavy rain and almost zero visibility, which happens often as they fly right over my house. There is no control tower at the airport and no published instrument approach. I doubt anyone sitting in back knew this however and no one will ever ask any questions about it until the day comes when they run out of luck. Maybe I'm bashing again, but the fact remains that this place has lots of rules but little enforcement, and the results all too common.

Not to mention this

Warning its VERY graphic!!

http://www.gasexpertthai.com/index.php?pag...n=view&id=6

Guy tries to fill LPG tank with NGV..... bye bye. I think we are going to see a few more of these as well. This was a Volvo imagine what would happen to the Japanese tin cans... But isn't regulation another word for bribery in

this was posted 2 days ago by myself...... here we go!!

Oz

so many people reading this .. nothing better to do :o

or all retired ?

just wondering

This thread went out as Breaking News via email to anyone who subscribes to Thai Visa. That is why so many people get onto something like this so fast.

To Tiger Beer: I don't think mentioning the safety standards in this country is Thai bashing. This stuff is a reality of life here and if we choose to live here we pretty much have to accept the Thai way of life. It is good information for the tourists who are unaware of what actually goes on here all the time. It will give them a little insight as to the dangers and let them make informed choices regarding destinations and mode of travel.

I could not agree more

I've seen in some science articles that Gas and Gasoline won't ignite from just a cigarette. I also have seen in some TV shows they thrown a cigarette into a beaker of Gasoline, it just killed the cigarette.

Just FYI, they can be right but I will not risk it anyway.

Gasoline (petrol, benzine) is flammable. Gasoline vapor, if in a closed space (i.e. a gasoline tank) will explode if ignited. The same applies to natural gas such a propane. I know this for a fact because when I lived in California, a house exploded not more than a quarter mile from where I lived. The blast was strong enough to damage windows in the building I lived in.