Selling A Vehicle

I am selling a vehicle which was registered to me in another province to a buyer, who is also a foreigner.

Today I obtained transfer of ownership and power of attorney forms from the local vehicle licensing place. I have been "informed" that I also need a confirmation of address from immigration as well as a signed copy of my passport.

Q1. Is this required?

However, in common with a lot of people, when I moved I didn't reregister the vehicle at the new address(es).

Q2. If I need the confirmation from Immigration, is it going to be a problem because my current address and the registered address of the vehicle are different?

After the sale, if the new owner doesn't bother to transfer to his name/address then am I heading for a problem? Will he have any problems?

I am selling a vehicle which was registered to me in another province to a buyer, who is also a foreigner.

Today I obtained transfer of ownership and power of attorney forms from the local vehicle licensing place. I have been "informed" that I also need a confirmation of address from immigration as well as a signed copy of my passport.

Q1. Is this required?

However, in common with a lot of people, when I moved I didn't reregister the vehicle at the new address(es).

Q2. If I need the confirmation from Immigration, is it going to be a problem because my current address and the registered address of the vehicle are different?

After the sale, if the new owner doesn't bother to transfer to his name/address then am I heading for a problem? Will he have any problems?

Q1.....Yes, confirmation of address and signed copy of passport are required.

Q2.....No sure about change of address from that in registration book.

You could have problems if new owner fails to transfer ownership and gets involved in a serious accident, then flees, I'm afraid authorities would be looking for registered owner.

You could have problems if new owner fails to transfer ownership and gets involved in a serious accident, then flees, I'm afraid authorities would be looking for registered owner.

What is my liability? Surely they have to prove I was actually in the vehicle?

Can I avoid this with a signed purchase agreement?

I wonder if I can even be traced, six addresses in the last six years and a new passport since buying the vehicle.

my work permit was required

Don't need a work permit, as I have a retirement visa.

I wonder if I can even be traced, six addresses in the last six years and a new passport since buying the vehicle.
So if the car was used in an armed bank raid and resulted in a few deaths, and the driver managed to skip the country - I guess they might put a little more effort in to tracking your down via passport changes etc.

Wise to send the paperwork off yourself to 'help' the new owner not forget.

Re. WPs - when doing most offical things an up to date WP is accepted as there is a general awareness that if the WP is correct, all the supporting info is also correct.

doing most offical things an up to date WP is accepted as there is a general awareness that if the WP is correct, all the supporting info is also correct.

Except maybe for the biggie, obtaining a one year visa from immigration.

And most official things, at least from my experience, require the physical presence of a human before anything happens. And, based on my experience, if I started trying to extend visas, vehicle registration, driving license etc by post, it would lead to a huge nightmare of no answers, lost documents, delays and blank stares at the respective offices, when I finally had to turn up to sort out the mess.

Nope, the Thais are a long long way from providing that level of service.

And most official things, at least from my experience, require the physical presence of a human before anything happens.

Thai staff + power of attorney = most situations.

I sat in the car last time my passport was extended, I assumed they would at least want to see me?