Bangkok Appartments

apple69

Hi all,

At the moment I'm in London but am planning my move over to bkk. I should be over there in about 4-6 months but am trying to plan my budget. When I first get there I want to move into a modest studio/1-bed appartment for 3-6 months (or month by month basis) until I've had time to settle and assess my out goings.

I've been to bkk a few times and am most familiar with the Asok area. Ideally to make things easy I'm looking to initially move to this area (nana, asok, phrom phong, thong lo) but if anyone has any recomendations for other areas id be very greatful. Also, would it be possible to find an reasonable appartment in the 9-13K price range? I don't mind spending more (14-20k) but the more I can save on accomadation in the early days the better.

I've been keeping an eye on Mr Roomfinder and Craiglist, any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

M

Oh I forgot to say... id need internet connection in the appartment and ideally (but not essential) a kitchen area.

Edited by apple69

Hi all,

At the moment I'm in London but am planning my move over to bkk. I should be over there in about 4-6 months but am trying to plan my budget. When I first get there I want to move into a modest studio/1-bed appartment for 3-6 months (or month by month basis) until I've had time to settle and assess my out goings.

I've been to bkk a few times and am most familiar with the Asok area. Ideally to make things easy I'm looking to initially move to this area (nana, asok, phrom phong, thong lo) but if anyone has any recomendations for other areas id be very greatful. Also, would it be possible to find an reasonable appartment in the 9-13K price range? I don't mind spending more (14-20k) but the more I can save on accomadation in the early days the better.

I've been keeping an eye on Mr Roomfinder and Craiglist, any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

M

Oh I forgot to say... id need internet connection in the appartment and ideally (but not essential) a kitchen area.

Im looking for the same thing and my experience so far is that its difficult to find something decent if you dont get recommended from friends and coworkers.

Most of the appartments in the 9-13 K range are old and badly furnished, plastic flooring etc. Feels more like an old hotelroom than an appartment. If you go to thai areas outside the centre, Pinklao, On nut, Lad Prao, Ratchada, it gets much easier, but the neighbourhoods is not very exciting. All depends on what youre looking for though. 15-20 K should get you a nice condo somewhere central.

If youre comfortable taking the MRT a few stops i could recommend you a place on Ratchada, new studios around 9-11 K, swimming pool, quiet.

Otherwise have a look at www.mrroomfinder.com

Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah I've been keeping an eye on mrroomfinder and have seen a few appartments not far from Asok that are around the 12-16k range. There's also always some appartments on Soi 1 that are at about 9-12k but they look a little run down from the photos... but I haven't seen in person. I have a few friends out there (Western and Thai) and hopefully with their help will find something... although every time I ask it seems to have slipped their minds! :o

As for the areas, there seems to be loads of cheap appartments in On nut but I've never been there and it seems kind of far out. You mentioned Ratchada... what's the area like? My knowledge of Bangkok's neighbourhoods is not the best!

Thanks again,

M

check out PR Place

Hey thanks... looks good! What's the area like in the evenings? I hear that, as it's a business district, it sort of closes down in the evening. That said, I might be completely wrong in thinking that! I'm looking for a place where I can stroll out and easily have a drink, good food and music in the evenings.

Thanks again! :o

On Nut is an OK area at the current far end of the Sukhumvit BTS Skytrain line, though they're in the process of extending it further out toward the Bang Na area...

The prices there are reasonable...it's near the expressway to Pattaya... and there are a Tesco Lotus Superstore and CareFour store right near the BTS On Nut Station.

That said, it's much more a Thai area compared to places around Sukhumvit and Silom. And since the Skytrain stops running at midnight, after that, you're relying on taxis or buses to get from the centers of town out to the On Nut area...

It really depends on what you plan to be doing, and where, on if that location makes sense.

What's the area like in the evenings?

it does close down in the evenings but it is 5 minutes away from good places like soi rangnam... you might look around rangnam actually, it's a nice neighborhood. victory monument BTS stop. i stayed at The Victory before and it was good.

I stayed in PR Place for a few months last year and the only problem I had with the area was how busy it could be during business hours. It can take about 10 minutes to walk 100 metres with all the Pratunam market stalls and visitors blocking the sidewalk.

It was undergoing serious rennovations when I was looking for an apartment this year so I decided to go with somewhere in Ratchada.

Soi Rangnam seems like it would suit you as girlx mentioned above.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I think On Nut might be a little too far out for me. I'll check out Soi Rangnam as that sounds promising.

Oh cloudbusting, I know what you mean about the area around Pratunam. Last time I was there I found myself walking through an insanely busy narrow semi covered market street (with beware of pick pocket signs) on a super crazy hot day... dam_n, I just felt like just giving in. I don't think I could take that every day!

Does anyone know what the area around Ratchadapisek is like? Is this close to Lumpini park?

Thanks again.

M

PR Place is in Pratunam, its a nice location with lots of food at night (if you dont mind street food). Its also a good location if you speak no Thai as its in a tourist area so most speak some english.

RAngnam is nice too and closer to the BTS. Lots of nice little restaurants and bars. Also a park there as well.

actually there is not much food at all around PR Place????!? especially at night? if you know different please enlighten me, as i live there...

also, it is not in pratunam, so i don't know why people are talking about all the vendors around... it is a couple of blocks away from pratunam.

Edited by girlx

actually there is not much food at all around PR Place????!? especially at night? if you know different please enlighten me, as i live there...

also, it is not in pratunam, so i don't know why people are talking about all the vendors around... it is a couple of blocks away from pratunam.

It might not be exactly in Pratunam but I still found it frustrating to walk in that direction anytime during the day. I'd also agree that there's not much places where you can eat after business hours.

Did they finish the rennovations girlx? It looked like they were doing a very nice job on it when I was last there in June.

Anyway, this is where I'm living at the moment. Highly recommended!

Sitara Place - Ratchada

Interesting thread. I live in Pattaya at present, but am suffering from just too much of the girl/bar/massage scene. I am looking to move to a bigger city with more to offer - Bangkok - or a smaller quiet town - Cha Am or Koh Samui.

I know Bangkok quite well, and I would not live in Pratunam, unless you like living in a market with all the noise and congestion that goes with it. Markets are great, but I prefer to live in a quiet area with a market within commute.

I am also looking into apartment availability, and found this: http://www.bkkpages.com/property.

I think that entire area is considered Pratunam.

GirlX you live there???I better start avoiding that area as I live across the street in Makkasan. :o

If you go down the street across from you, Soi Wattana Wong, halfway down on the right is a stall setup (under tenting) The old lady I call her, good food.

The street in between the 2 Baiyokes, there is a Ba Mee moo deang stall. Good too but small quantity.

Im gonna be moving soon, Im gonna miss all the street food in that area....

Edited by mmushr00m

I used to stay in Sawadi Place up on Pahonyoyhin in the soi opposite the Mayo Hospital and up the road from the Major Cineplex. Nicest apartment I ever had in a dead end soi on a posh housing estate so nice and quiet at night. I was paying 7500 a month then ( 2 years ago ) for a new 1 bedroomed apartment with a built in kitchenette. The view overlooked rich peoples back gardens. Nice pool too.

Did they finish the rennovations girlx?

not yet, but the whole place is really nice already. i love my apartment, the neighborhood isn't the best but i could not find any other 1 bedroom as nice as this one for as cheap.

If you go down the street across from you, Soi Wattana Wong, halfway down on the right is a stall setup (under tenting) The old lady I call her, good food.

The street in between the 2 Baiyokes, there is a Ba Mee moo deang stall. Good too but small quantity.

cool thanks for the tips, if you have any more let me know because i haven't found any good food around here other than an okay isaan place on my side of the street. :o

Anyway, this is where I'm living at the moment. Highly recommended!

Sitara Place - Ratchada

Cloud, that seems like a nice looking place... checked the web site...and saw the prices...and good location so close to Rama IX MRT and the Fortune Town/Tesco Center....

But I couldn't tell about a couple things....

1. do the units have kitchen sinks of some kind??? In the photos, I could see refrig and microwave...but nothing in the way of a sink....

2. it seemed all 3 types of rooms, with differing prices, all were the same sq mt.... 39... So, other than being on lower or higher floors....what is the difference between them???

3. I think...the units look better when they have the wood divider between the bedroom area and the living area... But it was hard to tell... whether they typically have those..or those are the exception...

4. hehehe....it seemed...they were being a bit creative with their wide angle photography.... The main photo they use... shows a wide/extended view of the rooms.... But the regular photos later...show a more narrow room view...more like a typical hotel configuration.... But hey... it's advertising...

Did they finish the rennovations girlx?

not yet, but the whole place is really nice already. i love my apartment, the neighborhood isn't the best but i could not find any other 1 bedroom as nice as this one for as cheap.

cool thanks for the tips, if you have any more let me know because i haven't found any good food around here other than an okay isaan place on my side of the street. :o

Theres an isaan place there?? Is it the one where they sell some fried chicken at the front but when you go in its like into an abandon building with an empty enclosed restaurant and non functioning toilets???

I tried that place once. Dunno if it was because it was near closing time and it was raining hard, but the food was BAD. The pad see yeaw was so salty to be inedible, the wife complained and the owner had to agree that it was inedible and everything else was mai aroi.

Oh on Soi Wattana Wong before you reach the "old lady", there is a shop that sells ok food. Its on the left with a guy selling beef noodles in the front (opposite the video store). Apart from the beef noodles you can also order rice dishes etc. Its not bad, but slow-ish though, only 1 cook. I call that shop the "skinny guy" 'cos the owners son is built like a stick. If you see him you will understand.

At the end of the soi is a Pad Thai/Hoy Tod stand, its ok, nothing special. Long wait too unless you're lucky and catch her when she's about to cook whatever you ordered.

Also "one arm man" in front of 7-11 that sells noodles. Again ok, nothing special but cheap B25 only.

Afew Indian and persian restaurants in the area, have to say I have had better and dont recommend them.

oh and of course the newly open KFC in Indra Square, I no longer have to trudge all the way to Central World or Platinum anymore.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I think On Nut might be a little too far out for me. I'll check out Soi Rangnam as that sounds promising.

Oh cloudbusting, I know what you mean about the area around Pratunam. Last time I was there I found myself walking through an insanely busy narrow semi covered market street (with beware of pick pocket signs) on a super crazy hot day... dam_n, I just felt like just giving in. I don't think I could take that every day!

Does anyone know what the area around Ratchadapisek is like? Is this close to Lumpini park?

Thanks again.

M

If On Nut is too far for you, Ratchada is 10 times worse. It is on subway (that also stops at midnight).

Generally, non-ghetto area along the Sukhumvit starts after Soi 33, many say Soi 55 and up.

Try this one - my wife used to live there for 4 years, full of students, BKK Uni is walking distance from there:

KTA Mansion

14/1 Soi Barbos 2, Sukhumvit Soi 42,

Tel : 712-3400

Price : THB 6000 onwards

Your friends in BKK may give them a call and even inspect it for you. There are 100 rooms, always some free. All the rooms are identical, furnished (no tv and no fridge) 44sqm with balcony and western bathroom. No pool (Internet says there is but there has never been). 1 car park per room. Walking distance to Ekkamai BTS.

The price is more likely to be 9-12K, depends on how high up the room is. Contracts are 3 months. ADSL 500B per month.

Or, check this site. I found it has identical prices and contents (although much wider choice online) as when checking their shop window on the ground.

Acute Realty Bangkok

I tried that place once. Dunno if it was because it was near closing time and it was raining hard, but the food was BAD. The pad see yeaw was so salty to be inedible, the wife complained and the owner had to agree that it was inedible and everything else was mai aroi.

hmm, the somtam and namtok moo i tried there once were pretty good. but the place kinda grosses me out. still, most of the street stalls don't have the best presentation either. i looked for the "old lady" you talked about today but didn't see her. i didn't actually walk down the soi though so i will try tomorrow. :D don't forget about mcd's too. though i never eat there or KFC. :o

if i really want good food i take a tuk tuk to soi rangnam.

Edited by girlx

Yea, that place is digusting. I have no desire to go back there, gives me goosebumps that place.

The old lady is open in the evenings only. as you walk down you see an empty lot, she's there and more or less permanent. If she's not cooking, he brother (small guy) will be cooking and another bespectacle balding brother is usually there doing nothing. A baby will usually also be present as well as the mother, a freakin kid that looks 14!!!!

As for apartments:

If you go down Soi wattana wong, you will see a side street (towards golden inn). Down that street are afew apartments. Theres a pink one that goes for 6-7000, a white one with red trimmings 6000, one next to it for the same price (quite afew farangs staying in that one). Nice quiet soi, apart from the occasionaly tuk tuk, you wouldnt know that you are only a couple of minutes from the main street (rajprarop)

Edited by mmushr00m

Cloud, that seems like a nice looking place... checked the web site...and saw the prices...and good location so close to Rama IX MRT and the Fortune Town/Tesco Center....

But I couldn't tell about a couple things....

1. do the units have kitchen sinks of some kind??? In the photos, I could see refrig and microwave...but nothing in the way of a sink....

There's a sink outside on the balcony rather than in the kitchen area.

2. it seemed all 3 types of rooms, with differing prices, all were the same sq mt.... 39... So, other than being on lower or higher floors....what is the difference between them???

3. I think...the units look better when they have the wood divider between the bedroom area and the living area... But it was hard to tell... whether they typically have those..or those are the exception...

I'm not 100% sure exactly why the rooms are priced differently. I was shown a premium room and an ultimate room and the only difference I could tell were the wooden dividers you mention above are only in the more expensive rooms. The furniture might be of a slightly higher quality too.

It doesn't make too much sense to me.

• 6 months later...
check out PR Place

You will be lucky to get your deposit back from this place,aircon will cost a small fortune too as they have old style units.

you've obviously had a recent run in with pr place and feel the need to search for old posts so you can get your dig in

why don't you just explain what happened rather than the petty remarks