Uk Orange Phone - Thai Sim Ok?

JimmyGreaves

I would like to buy a sim when I get to BKK next month for my orange phone (Not unblocked, insurance in UK will be void if I unblock, I think).

Will a new orange sim work?

If so:

Can I phone UK for the 7 Baht a minute I hear about?

Will the new phone number last forever?

If not:

Best way to go to phone UK?

Regards

John

I would like to buy a sim when I get to BKK next month for my orange phone (Not unblocked, insurance in UK will be void if I unblock, I think).

Will a new orange sim work?

If so:

Can I phone UK for the 7 Baht a minute I hear about?

Will the new phone number last forever?

If not:

Best way to go to phone UK?

Regards

John

I'm pretty sure that Orange UK don't block their phones anymore. But if it is, it will only cost you 150baht to get it unblocked and it doesn't invalidate the warranty.

You can buy an Orange Th sim card here and it will work on the unblocked phone.

The new number doesn't last forever unless you occasionally add credit to it. I just added 500baht and it is valid for 1 year - so unless you never use the phone, it won't be a problem.

009 (cheap IDD) works fine. The other option is to buy a Hatari phone card from a 7/11 and dial a free-access number.

Hope this helps

spog

PS you can check whether your phone is blocked by trying a friends O2/Voda sim and seeing if you can receive calls

I bought my mobile in Thailand and use it in UK when I return. My orange sim card works fine in my Thai Nokia so I imagine that it should be ok the other way round.

A friend of mine used to import 2nd hand mobiles from UK and I don't believe he ever had any problems.

Yes Orange UK still block there phones. But good news that an orange thai simm  will work in my phone.

Can someone give me the full dial string to call UK and how much using the 009 prefix? If I want to dial mobile 07977 456277 what's the dial sting I need?

I'm surprised at that - O2 stopped blocking a long time ago.

you dial 009 44 7977 456277

Basically you miss off the first '0' of the UK number.

If you want to dial the 001 (full rate, best quality), you can dial +44 79....

But unlocking is not a problem - it is just a switch in the software.

009 (cheap IDD) works fine. The other option is to buy a Hatari phone card from a 7/11 and dial a free-access number.

Which one is cheaper?

I very often SMS abroad and one message costs me around 10 Baht. Is there also a cheaper way to SMS?

A. :o

Yes, use the DTAC HappyDprompt SIM card. 3 baht for International text message delivery.

Which one is cheaper?

I very often SMS abroad and one message costs me around 10 Baht. Is there also a cheaper way to SMS?

A. :o

Yes, use the DTAC HappyDprompt SIM card. 3 baht for International text message delivery.

Oh, this information is really useful for me. Thank you very much.