Thailand Now Refusing Visas To All Chinese Nationals?

FWIW, just back from the Kota Bharu consulate where I overheard the staff say to a rather surprised, english-speaking Chinese couple that Thai Immigration is no longer issuing visas to Chinese nationals, based on a new policy. There were NO exceptions.

This might be a local phenomenon, but then why would it be, given so many Chinese immigrants in the area who might have relatives from the mainland who want to visit from time to time.

Odd development, but there it is.

As I recall, she didn't stipulate what kind of visa. She was polite, yet firm in her denial of issuance of any visa to this equally polite couple. She didn't say, "well, you can apply for this other visa, or try this other consulate." No. It was a flat out denial, based on some brand new policy.

Needless to say, this couple appeared absolutely devastated by the news. They probably travelled considerable distance at considerable expense to meet with family in the south of TH somewhere, and now they can't get through.

Modern life is shocking enough. I don't wish such shocks on anybody. My heart goes out to them.

I suspect it is an isolated incident.

I doubt it is "a new policy" countrywide, seeing as how a large share of the wealth in Thailand belongs to the Chinese.

It's also possible I didn't hear the whole conversation and they may have been applying for a certain type of visa and then being flatly denied.

But I most certainly do remember them being denied based upon their Chinese nationality, because that was the bone of contention.

I suspect it is an isolated incident.

I doubt it is "a new policy" countrywide, seeing as how a large share of the wealth in Thailand belongs to the Chinese.

It's also possible I didn't hear the whole conversation and they may have been applying for a certain type of visa and then being flatly denied.

But I most certainly do remember them being denied based upon their Chinese nationality, because that was the bone of contention.

MFA regulations regarding Tourist Visa applications:

Nationals of certain countries are required to apply for a visa only at the Thai Embassy or Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the designated Thai Embassy. Therefore, travellers are advised to contact the nearest Thai Embassy or Consulate-General to find out where they may apply for a visa to Thailand before departure.

From the Thai Embassy Singapore Web-page:

Passport holders of Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, China, Nigeria, *Afghanistan, Algeria, Egypt, Iran, **Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Palestine, Sudan, Syria, Yemen and North Korea are requested to file for application at the Thai Embassy/Consulate-General where they have their permanent residence or long term pass. Applicants without permanent residence are required to apply for Thai visa in their own country.

* Embassy cannot issue visa to applicant

**Embassy has to get approval from Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Thailand, and authorities concerned.

Hi,

Do you know what kind of tourists visa Chinese can usually get when they go to Thailand? The same as those for American or European? 60 days ?

And is it usually possible for Chinese to get a visa for Thailand outside China, for example from an European country ?

Thanks.

Hi,

Do you know what kind of tourists visa Chinese can usually get when they go to Thailand? The same as those for American or European? 60 days ?

And is it usually possible for Chinese to get a visa for Thailand outside China, for example from an European country ?

Thanks.

Chinese can get a Visa on arrival for 14 days; ticket both ways and dates of arrival/departure needed as well as Hotel address.

Sometimes however, some airlines may act difficult, leaving China if someone has no visa but strictly spoken they don't know the rules if they act like that.

A visa for Thailand for a longer period -30 or 60 days- can easily be arranged by a travel agent within China; will need ca. 3-4 days but one can do it him/herself as well at one of the consulates in China.

We did it many times for my wife, also in Europe, including a double entry visa.

All-in-all there must have been something special with the Chinese couple in the OP. Normally it is no problem at all for a Chinese to get a visa for Thailand.

Personally I think the staff at the Royal Thai Consulate-General - Kota Bharu misbehaved since there is NOTHING written on their website* stating that Chinese cannot receive visa.

It would also be completely opposite the efforts by the TAT to lure more Chinese tourists.

* http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2849.php?depid=221

LaoPo

As mentioned earlier, chinese nationals can only apply for thai visas in china. It has been this way for many years.

1. It depends where the Chinese national is registered (living abroad); if abroad it's NO problem at all to apply and get a Thai visa.

2. Any Chinese can get a Thai visa upon arrival in Thailand for 14 days; see my previous post.

LaoPo