Nan Boat Races

jaideeguy

The Nan boat races are usually held during Awk Pansaa, starting in Sept and ending in Oct. I don't remember the Awk Pansaa date, but the races are a lot of fun :o

Edited by Ajarn

Thanks Ajarn,

What about acomodation? Nan is a small town and google search only revealed three hotels there.

I went there a couple of years ago and stayed at Dhevaraj hotel, which was just about the only place worth staying at. The City Park hotel looked okay but was a little bit out of town. The Dhevaraj is right in town and a short walk to the river. I wouldn't believe the rates I saw on one of the sights. I reckon I paid about 600 - 700 baht, so see if you can find their number and give them a call. There was a more basic place next door, but I can't remember the name.

The races were well worth seeing - very colourful and the locals were very friendly and welcoming. Not many tourists make it to Nan so we're still a novelty there.

There is a nice prom along the river and if you walk about a mile to the south there was the only (at the time) decent night-life in the form of a live-band Riverside type bar/restaurant.

My sister is visiting in oct and wants to see the famous boat races in Nan and asked me to find out when? acomodation? and opinions of others that have been there, done that.

Anyone know??

I've been there for the last 4 years (I used to live in one of the competing villages) and yes, it is a fun weekend. Many of the villages in Nan province enter boats, they have racing weekends in many of the surrounding towns and then the big events are in Nan. There are usually 2 weekends of racing in Nan in October/November although the dates are flexible. I'm trying to find out the dates for this year but at present nobody seems to know, including some friends who will be competing (TIT!). I'll let you know when I find out.

The second weekend is usually the best. They have a big parade on the river with decorated boats from the competing villages before the racing starts, this usually takes place at about 9am so get there early. There are usually a couple of thousand spectators with only a handful of farangs but everyone makes you feel really welcome. Many of the villages have PAs blasting out Northern music and there's a competition for the best cheerleaders as well. Obviously the Samsung is flowing from an early stage and there are usually a few casualties by late afternoon, I've never witnessed a drowning yet though....

As for accomodation the Deveraj mentioned earlier is a good choice (think its about 700B). The Nanfah hotel next door is a bit cheaper (about 400B). The rooms are a little run down but it's a very interesting old wooden building and ok for a couple of nights. Probably best to book in advance over the phone for these 2 places. Not sure if you'll find anyone to speak English at the Nanfah though. There's a few guesthouses in town, I haven't stayed in them so I can't offer an opinion but some of them are listed on travelfish.org.

I've attached a few photos to give an idea of what it's like. Have fun.

post-35905-1218707710_thumb.jpgpost-35905-1218707739_thumb.jpg

post-35905-1218707752_thumb.jpgpost-35905-1218707777_thumb.jpg

post-35905-1218707796_thumb.jpg

Thanks wavydavy [any relationship to wavygravy?]...

The event looks fun and will take my sister and friend if we can pin down reservations if the event comes off before her return date of oct27.....so please inform me [by pm] or on this forum when you find out the firm dates and I'll try to get reservations in the better hotel [Deveraj] before it's booked up. You say that you have had no problems in securing rooms in the past years during the festival??

Thanks wavydavy [any relationship to wavygravy?]...

The event looks fun and will take my sister and friend if we can pin down reservations if the event comes off before her return date of oct27.....so please inform me [by pm] or on this forum when you find out the firm dates and I'll try to get reservations in the better hotel [Deveraj] before it's booked up. You say that you have had no problems in securing rooms in the past years during the festival??

We've never booked in advance and always been ok. We usually stay at the Nanfah, one time that was full but they had rooms at the Deveraj. For peace of mind probably better to phone in advance but I'm sure you'll be ok.