Giving Birth In A Thai Hospital.

DirkGently

I have had 2 experiences in Thai hospitals. The first doctor acted like it was his first day. He examined me with a torch that did not work. He shook it and carried on. It still did not work.

The 2nd was a family member being given so many anti-biotics that his body was unable to repair itself.

Now my other half is looking for a hospital to give birth in. I shudder to think that they may be of the same calibre.

Where should we be looking?

Thanks

D.

I should think it depends on how, much you want to spend??

BNH and

Sametivej come to mind as nice hospitals with qualified doctors.

Is your sig other Thai?? If she is, let her ask her friends who have kids what they recommend..

But do tell us what they say.

in bangkok, i wouldk recomand St-louis. It,s a christian hospital.. its cheaper and they are very qualified there.

in phuket they have mission hospital which is christian too.

I am not christian but for some reason, they seem more clean and qualified at those hospitals.

out of the 5 i visited. only those 2 were decent.

expensive one in bangkok was horrible, bangkok hospital in phuket = clueless doctors and nurses same goes as vachira phuket

You want to be comfortable with the decisions you make so do your homework. Make sure that it is a facility that you are comfortable with. Recommendations are good, but in the end it is your wife and baby's health and well being that are at stake.

I will share my personal experience with you. My wife gave birth last month. her water broke in the middle of the night, so off we go to the hospital. She was a month before her due date. Her obstetrician met us there.My wife immediately had an ultrasound and other procedures. They kept her under close observation through out the morning and to make a long story short, she delivered via C-section early that afternoon. Everything went without a hitch. They kept the baby in the nursery under 24 hours observation since he was 1 month premature, monitoring heart and lungs. My wife gave birth on Tuesday and was discharged along with the little one on Saturday (4 days later).

C-section

Private "VIP" room

care for both mom and baby

24 hour nursery observation

blood work, vaccinations, etc. for baby

total cost: 12,395 baht

About the care: Having worked in a tertiary trauma hospital for 10 years in the U.S. and comparing the care that my wife and baby received I would say same same. The nurses and doctors were very professional, attentive and I was very comfortable and happy with the care they both received. Nurses were in the room as per schedule. The maternity ward gave classes to new moms which was very beneficial to my wife.

This was in issan, not modern BKK. Would I be comfortable with my wife giving birth again in Thailand? the answer is yes! :o

Both baby and mom are doing very well!

Edited by mizzi39

You want to be comfortable with the decisions you make so do your homework. Make sure that it is a facility that you are comfortable with. Recommendations are good, but in the end it is your wife and baby's health and well being that are at stake.

I will share my personal experience with you. My wife gave birth last month. her water broke in the middle of the night, so off we go to the hospital. She was a month before her due date. Her obstetrician met us there.My wife immediately had an ultrasound and other procedures. They kept her under close observation through out the morning and to make a long story short, she delivered via C-section early that afternoon. Everything went without a hitch. They kept the baby in the nursery under 24 hours observation since he was 1 month premature, monitoring heart and lungs. My wife gave birth on Tuesday and was discharged along with the little one on Saturday (4 days later).

C-section

Private "VIP" room

About the care: Having worked in a tertiary trauma hospital for 10 years in the U.S. and comparing the care that my wife and baby received I would say same same. The nurses and doctors were very professional, attentive and I was very comfortable and happy with the care they both received. Nurses were in the room as per schedule. The maternity ward gave classes to new moms which was very beneficial to my wife.

This was in issan, not modern BKK. Would I be comfortable with my wife giving birth again in Thailand? the answer is yes! :o

Hi Mizzi

Was that a private hospital? My partner had the same treatment @ the bangkok private hospital in Phuket, and it cost us around 46,000 thb.

cheers

C-section

Private "VIP" room

Hi Mizzi

Was that a private hospital? My partner had the same treatment @ the bangkok private hospital in Phuket, and it cost us around 46,000 thb.

cheers

Hello, there are two hospitals where I live, 1 private and 1 Govt. The MD's in the area are contracted for both hospitals. my wife's obstetrician only does deliveries at the Govt. hospital so this is where my wife gave birth. There was not much of a price difference between the private and Govt. hospitals for deliveries. The private hospital does more elective procedures, where the Govt. does more general medicine. I have used both, and the quality of care is about the same. Hope this helps! :D

I am sure that your location reflects the higher costs. I know that BKK. offers special "packages" for the same procedure that my wife had for around 35-38,000 baht. I was going to have my wisdom teeth pulled when I lived in BKK. 1,000 baht per tooth. Cheap, compared to the U.S. which would have been 10,000 baht or $300.00 U.S. dollars. Same procedure in issan, Govt hospital dental clinic: 400 baht per tooth, private hospital: 500 baht per tooth

Edited by mizzi39

My wife is 25 weeks+. We are currently visiting Vichaiyut on Rama 6 and have been extremely satisfied with the standard of care of professionalism of the doctors and nursing staff.

Absolutely first rate service and reasonably priced to boot!

in bangkok, i wouldk recomand St-louis. It,s a christian hospital.. its cheaper and they are very qualified there.

in phuket they have mission hospital which is christian too.

I am not christian but for some reason, they seem more clean and qualified at those hospitals.

out of the 5 i visited. only those 2 were decent.

I'd prefer medical practitioners that didn't believe in fictional , invisible , omnipotent beings. In the same way that I'd prefer medical practitioners who aren't using hallucinogenic drugs.

I use Samitvej on Sukhumvit Soi 49 though I must admit not having used their natal facilities. I'm sure my wife would be happy using it as they have Starbucks.

Cheers

Hi guys my little 2 pence worth,

Me and my wife had a liitle boy 2 weeks ago, we startedn pout just using the local guy who had an after hours clinic with his own free ultrasound, so we went there ever month and had a scan every month just to satisfy my paranoid head up until 8 months when we had to pick a hospital, after thinking long and hard about the advantrment hospital at ages and disadvantage of private v goverment i came to the conclusion that private hospitals were over priced for effectively the same treatment especially for a workin class sun reader like myself so we opted to go for the police goverment hospital on chit lom,

i must say apart from the waiting time in the hospital for the final couple of months check ups the hospital itself was fine, the staff were nice and helpful, the doctors new there stuff and generally apart from giving birth natrually to a baby who weighed in a tad over 4kg the missus was okay.

In my opinion from a mans point of few i wouln't get a private room for her as she will be bored on her own and she will be generally ratty anyway which will mean a quick as possible in and out for the 1st couple of days to avoid jeb head for the father.

The only down side was that i wasnt allowed in while she was actually doing the business but there again i can most certainly live with that..

Good luck OP and congratualtions

C-section

Private "VIP" room

Hi Mizzi

cheers

how many years ago was that? c-section at bangkok hospital was quoted around 90 000baht with the room and everything

the public hospital mission quoted me 34 000baht for room with AC and everything...

the difference between c-section and normal delivery is huge though.

C-section

Private "VIP" room

This was in issan, not modern BKK. Would I be comfortable with my wife giving birth again in Thailand? the answer is yes! :D

Hi Mizzi

cheers

how many years ago was that? c-section at bangkok hospital was quoted around 90 000baht with the room and everything

the public hospital mission quoted me 34 000baht for room with AC and everything...

90,000 baht????? Are they putting you in a penthouse? That sounds very high to me. I remember when we found out that my wife was pregnant, we were still living in BKK., so i started looking at prices then. The highest I found for a C-section (which should only be done if absolutely necessary as it has become very trendy in Thailand) was 38,000 baht (22-24,000 for natural) and that included both pre and post care. Private room was extra and BKK being BKK I would imagine that you could pay 1,000-3,000 baht per day.

Private room in Issan: 400-600 baht per day including 24 hour nursing staff (after all it is a hospital :D ) cable TV (Thai :o ), extra bed, refrigerator, a/c,. Just like a hotel room, no frills but private all the same.

Edited by mizzi39

C-section

Private "VIP" room

Hi Mizzi

cheers

It was 2 years ago, C-section, 4 days, baby pack and all that jazz . Your quote seems very high she's not having triplets is she? :D

My son was born 4 years ago on the 1st of this month at the Army hospital in Nakhon Sawan.

Friends drove her 125km down from home late on a Saturday night and I didnt find out until the next day as I was in Bangkok.

I drove up and arrived about 3 hours after he was born. He was about 5 weeks early which was a surprise as normally my wife is never on time for anything.

The staff at the hospital were excellent and so was the care shown to them both and the total cost was around 12,000 baht. We still take him back there for checkups and they still remember him and us.

If we ever have another both of us would be happy to go back there again.

The only real problem was the usual one. The food was not very good but then again not many hospitals do have good food.

I have had 2 experiences in Thai hospitals. The first doctor acted like it was his first day. He examined me with a torch that did not work. He shook it and carried on. It still did not work.

The 2nd was a family member being given so many anti-biotics that his body was unable to repair itself.

Now my other half is looking for a hospital to give birth in. I shudder to think that they may be of the same calibre.

Where should we be looking?

Thanks

D.

Well, where are YOU?

I can only help if you are in or near Chiang Mai.

If so and you go totally 'private', go to Rajavej, opposite the Holiday Inn Hotel. Not quite so smart as Ram but superb care and NO rip-off!

A Thai couple we know were warned to expect a difficult birth there for their 2nd child. It WAS difficult, but it was all performed fantastically well and at very reasonable cost.

Ours arrived 3 years ago at Suan Dok government hospital, Suthep Rd. Again terrific care over a 'matron birth' (my wife's 1st baby at age 39) and very low cost indeed. The place is overcrowded and car parking is hopeless, but what does that matter in the scheme of things?

All the very best!

My Thai friends elected to come back from the UK so they could give birth at Bumrungrad in Bangkok, she wouldn't have it any other way and when I saw the room I can see why, they said it is expensive but the care is worth it. Personally though I think it is hit and miss wherever you go, doctors vary at all hospitals. I have spoken to doctors here who clearly have limited medical knowledge, on the other hand I had an optician who used all the old fashioned ways of giving me a prescription in what can only be described as a converted closet and his prescription matched the one from the UK with all the high tech computerised gear 100%.

C-section

Private "VIP" room

I had a child 1.5 y ago at Aek Udon, Udon Thani. Planned C-section 40000 Baht+. I am getting another one next year.

Could Mizzi please give the names and location (city) of these two hospitals?

Thanks

I cannot believe these Thai hospitals give all patients c sections, my wife is going to have one soon and the doctor decided he was going to do C section without even examining, "oh we make him born on 22nd ,good day for budha". Makes me wonder if sticking to the hospital financial budget includes a certain amount of C sections a year. Just annoys me to creat unnecesary risk to my wife. Cant bone for quite a long time afterwards either:-(.

I cannot believe these Thai hospitals give all patients c sections, my wife is going to have one soon and the doctor decided he was going to do C section without even examining, "oh we make him born on 22nd ,good day for budha". Makes me wonder if sticking to the hospital financial budget includes a certain amount of C sections a year. Just annoys me to creat unnecesary risk to my wife. Cant bone for quite a long time afterwards either:-(.
It isn't unnecassary risk to your wife. If you google the question it will show you that C- section is less stressful on the child and the mother. C- section 30 minutes. Natural labour, up to days. If you were the mother to be , which one would you choose ?

Um every mother I know & speaking as one too, we all chose natural first, c-section if needed in emergancy & only as last option.

There are certain hormones that a women produces to baby during a natural birth & being cut from the womb has got to be just if not more stressful to the baby as going the way nature intended. A vaginal birth also means not having to have a major operation. :o

It is (&should always be) up to the mother how she does it but women (esp. in thailand) need to be aware that there is nothing dangerous about giving birth vaginally & that c-section isn't the only option, too much brainwashing to make them think there is something wrong doing what our bodies have been doing for thousands of years & that the baby is designed to do too. C-section has it's place but not as the 1st or only choice.

It isn't unnecassary risk to your wife. If you google the question it will show you that C- section is less stressful on the child and the mother. C- section 30 minutes. Natural labour, up to days. If you were the mother to be , which one would you choose ?

A C-section is considered abdominal surgery and like all surgeries you risk infection, so C-sections should only be done if there is a risk to mom, baby or both.

Unfortunately, C-sections have sort of become the "trend" here in the LOS. Many hospitals will not give an epidural block unless a C-section is required, then the option is epi. or general anaesthesia. Often times natural means natural in the LOS, unless you are paying some absurd amount of money to give birth in some trendy private hospital. Most of your trendy private hospitals want your business so you (the patient) calls the shots. You want C-section? C-section it is.

My wife's obstetrician (and any good OB) will not elect to do a C-section unless absolutely necessary. My wife had a C-section in the end though, since her water broke and she never went into labor.

So no, not all hospitals give elective C-sections. Many of the best hospitals are Govt. hospitals as far as I am concerned, and most Govt. hospitals that i know of will not do a C-section unless necessary.

Edited by mizzi39

C-sections are done first and foremost for the doctors convenience. Why spend hours waiting for something to happen that can be programmed. As for other posters saying that "natural is best" then get them to squeeze a 6inch ball down a 4 inch tube. Google 'child birth' and see which is best for mother and child ? Thais look to the monks when the best time to give birth and if they say Tuesday then C- section on that day it is. The doctor then will be happy cause he can write it in his diary.

Edited by coventry

As for other posters saying that "natural is best" then get them to squeeze a 6inch ball down a 4 inch tube.

Did you? I did & natural was best for me & my son. Google is hardly the be all & end all but I just googled "natural childbirth" & page one was articles, forums & websites promoting the vaginal birth route & the various health & emotional bonding benefits to mother & child :o

But it is up to mum, OP what does your wife want to do?

As for other posters saying that "natural is best" then get them to squeeze a 6inch ball down a 4 inch tube.

Did you? I did & natural was best for me & my son :o Google is no substitute for personal expereince.

And you reckon that is less stressful on you and the child, then you amaze me ? Boo have you had C-Section before ? I doubt it. My wife has had both. Given a choice, it's C- section every time. She's currently pregnant and guess which way she'll go. Government hospital, C- Section, free and easier. Plus she can choose which day the monk tells her is a good day. This is Thailand do as the Thais do. Boo were/was your child delivered UK or Thailand ? Edited by coventry