Microwave Ovens

wilson steer

Sorry to be boring;

I need to buy a new microwave oven; any advice:

1. Make (Manufacturer)

2. Ease of use

3. Availability: I live in Pattaya City

4. Any other problems eg guarantee; please advise...

Last one was SAMSUNG, lasted 2 years and 9 months only

Cheers all

Wilson Steer

A lot of warrantees only last a year on cheapo stuff like the cheapo 2,000 bhat micros you see everywhere. Can't remember what the best makes are or what mine is, for that matter. I'd have a look for you but can't be assed...it's late. If post is still running high tomorrow, I'll have a look at breakfast time.

Cheers, jackr

It would probably be helpful to have the microwave on a line conditioner, just like your computer should be. Some electrical equipment is more sensitive to voltage fluctuations and will fail prematurely due to it. I was getting a free (warranty) replacement Pioneer laserdisc player in the PI due to the voltage drops.

Other than that, LG is a strong European brand of excellent quality, widely available in LOS.

It would probably be helpful to have the microwave on a line conditioner, just like your computer should be. Some electrical equipment is more sensitive to voltage fluctuations and will fail prematurely due to it. I was getting a free (warranty) replacement Pioneer laserdisc player in the PI due to the voltage drops.

Other than that, LG is a strong European brand of excellent quality, widely available in LOS.

its not low voltage that affects electronic equipment, its "spikes"in the voltage supply, sometimes ,instead of a stable 220 volt supply ,theres a spike in the supply meaning that for a millisecond, the voltage can jump to maybe, 270 volts or whatever, this causes the damage,but cant be proved, so some kind of regulator is a good idea as the previous poster suggested

LG is a Korean brand, same as Samsung. Are there any European microwaves these days or are they all made in Asia?

Can't remember what brand microwave we have but as we've only had it a few months, I also don't have enough backup data to recommend it anyway!

[]its not low voltage that affects electronic equipment, its "spikes"in the voltage supply, sometimes ,instead of a stable 220 volt supply ,theres a spike in the supply meaning that for a millisecond, the voltage can jump to maybe, 270 volts or whatever, this causes the damage,but cant be proved, so some kind of regulator is a good idea as the previous poster suggested

I beg to disagree. Spikes are a cause of failure, as you say. But even equipment protected from millisecond spikes will fail if there are persistent low voltage conditions, like oh, 175v or 180v instead of 220v. Electrical appliances are designed for a rather limited voltage range. Any electrical engineers around to referee here?

If you want your microwave to last...choose a Japanese brand.

Hitachi or Panasonic. The Japanese make things that last.

Ever wonder why all the taxi's in BKK are Toyotas. IT's because they were the only vehicle that could last 24 hours 7 days a week and still be mechanically sound.

Panasonic new models use inverter technology which will give much better results if you do more than heat up a leftover as the 'heating' radiation will be uniform rather than the high/nothing cycle other brands use. They are also available in combination with regular oven features if you want to spend the baht.

On the voltage question both are right - amazing Thailand. If voltage is low units will overheat and have to work harder but usually have protection from fuse or breaker to prevent serious damage. High voltage, however, will not be sensed by a fuse and internal shorts can develop and chips be burnt out with no protection. But that said I would not bother trying to regulate voltage as it will cost more than replacement/repair in the long run for these high current uses.

I bought a Panasonic microwave/convection oven/grill all in one deal for 20,000 Baht. Best investment I've made in a long time. Now it's roast chicken, Lamb, Beef for Sunday dinner, and not forgetting Shepherd's pie and home made pizza.

What model did you buy?

My old Panasonic combo unit failed last year after 12 years (no complaints there)

but I could not find a decent sized replacement in Thailand.

The old one was 32L capacity.

The only ones I could see here were tiny by comparison.

I need something that will take a large bird or a Christmas cake.

If it does the job, price is less important.

Actually the Toyotas used for BKK taxis are mostly Soluna's ... made in Thailand.

When I was buying a washing machine a few months ago I was trying to decide between Samsung and LG. I ended up buying the LG as they have a support center in Pattaya ... Samsung hasn't, according to the boy in the shop.

About low voltage problems: Many items of consumer electronics actually don't run at the voltage you give them when you plug them in. The electricity you supply them first goes to a converter which lowers the voltage considerably. For example computers actually run on 12 volts or less and the fan you hear when you turn one on is running to cool the electric converter box. Electric converter boxes can easily and cheaply be designed so that a broad ranage of voltages can be applied with no problem and they will still supply the correct voltage to the appliance. If you look on the back of some appliances it will show the range of acceptable voltages. I've seen (not in Thailand though) ranges as high as from 105 volts to 270 volts. Some appliances, however might not have such good converters which can accept variations....but my brother-in-law who is an electrical engilneer has told me that even appliances which indicate one voltage on the back can often be run on different voltages but they are labeled with the voltage used in the country where they are to be sold...less confusion for the consumer. He says that a GOOD technician can look at the power converter and tell you the range it can accept. Where to find a GOOD technician in Thailand or how to tell a good one from a bad one is a mystery to me.

Also, electrical motors are made to run at one voltage only with only slight variations allowed. Spikey peaks of pwer will not hurt them (within reason) but low voltage causes them to loose power and generate heat which will burn them up if the low voltage persists.

Madsere,

Just as the toyota's in the USA are made in the USA. THe point is not the labor they use to make the cars, equipment, appliances, etc. It's the quality of the product the company produces. I have found that in all the years I have consumed , Japanese "brand" products always seem to last the longest and rarely break down no matter what country it was produced in.

A lot of warrantees only last a year on cheapo stuff like the cheapo 2,000 bhat micros you see everywhere. Can't remember what the best makes are or what mine is, for that matter. I'd have a look for you but can't be assed...it's late. If post is still running high tomorrow, I'll have a look at breakfast time.

Cheers, jackr

Mine's a Turbora, Wilson. The name doesn't conjure up a quality product but it came with the house, so I'm not complaining. Spikes and troughs in the supply over here do seem pretty accentuated. Buying a voltage surge protector for any sensitive kit will help, but cheapo microwaves will fall to bits after a few years anyway, due to being cheap and nasty.

Madsere,

Just as the toyota's in the USA are made in the USA.  THe point is not the labor they use to make the cars, equipment, appliances, etc.  It's the quality of the product the company produces.  I have found that in all the years I have consumed , Japanese "brand" products always seem to last the longest and rarely break down no matter what country it was produced in.

Alas! it's a sad fact.

Sorry to be boring;

I need to buy a new microwave oven; any advice:

1. Make (Manufacturer)

2. Ease of use

3. Availability: I live in Pattaya City

4. Any other problems eg guarantee; please advise...

Last one was SAMSUNG, lasted 2 years and 9 months only

Cheers all

Wilson Steer

Why not try the place where you bought the Samsung?

I bought a Panasonic microwave/convection oven/grill all in one deal for 20,000 Baht. Best investment I've made in a long time. Now it's roast chicken, Lamb, Beef for Sunday dinner, and not forgetting Shepherd's pie and home made pizza.

What model did you buy?

My old Panasonic combo unit failed last year after 12 years (no complaints there)

but I could not find a decent sized replacement in Thailand.

The old one was 32L capacity.

The only ones I could see here were tiny by comparison.

I need something that will take a large bird or a Christmas cake.

If it does the job, price is less important.

6,990 baht list price at Home Pro and SinSiam for 32 L (just microwave) Panasonic Model

NN-S672