Toyota Dealers Selling Off Old Fortuner Stock At Discount ?

paul1970

Seeing as Toyota have released a new updated model of the Fortuner has anybody got any information about price decreases for the outgoing model ?

I would think that the Toyota dealerships would be selling off the old stock at a discount, any thoughts ?

Yesterday I was in Carrefour and on the 1st floor there was a Toyota stand. The sailsman offered 50.000baht discount on the old Fortuner. Also the Vigo is already much cheaper. I bought my prerunner for 749.000baht, now it goes for 727.000baht.

How much is the new Fortuner ?

I paid 1,249,000 Baht for mine in January 2006.

Yesterday I was in Carrefour and on the 1st floor there was a Toyota stand. The sailsman offered 50.000baht discount on the old Fortuner. Also the Vigo is already much cheaper. I bought my prerunner for 749.000baht, now it goes for 727.000baht.

Not a very good discount considering theres a new model.

1,036,000 to 1,249,000baht depending on model.

The new fortuner is out as the Toyota thailand website is full of it. I would have thought they would have lopped of about 200k of the old model price but 50k off is a bit stingy IMO.

1,036,000 to 1,249,000baht depending on model.

The new fortuner is out as the Toyota thailand website is full of it. I would have thought they would have lopped of about 200k of the old model price but 50k off is a bit stingy IMO.

There reasoning probably is at 50k off you get a new vehicle for the price of a used one, i dont think the'll knock off 200k at that price probably back to factory fit heaters and ship them off to blighty for more money. kartman

The strange thing in this country is they they tend not to give big discounts for any old model - unlike Australia, where you cound get very large discounts. 50K here sounds like a generous discount for LoS. Better just to buy the new model actually, as it will hold value better compared to the old model, even though there is only a few months difference in their age.

Begininng of July the Pre-Runner was 780k out the door. Don't know if that already had a discount applied or not.....

The price sheets as of now show the top end pre-runner double cab with ABS and fog lights is 749K out the door. By the way, what does pre-runner mean?

By the way, what does pre-runner mean?

It's the high-lifted 2 wheel drive version, looks like a 4 wheel drive. Good for rough roads where 4x4 really isn't needed (until you get stuck of course).

In Toyota Khon Kaen 2 weeks ago, the salesman offered me a 2007 Fortuner "Smart" for 1.3m. The new models will be around 1.4m.

Sounds like the salesman was trying to do you over, the new fortuner prices are on toyota's website and they range from 1,036,000 to 1,256,000 baht

http://www.toyota.co.th/en/models/Fortuner...r2007_grade.asp

That is not correct pricing. Yes the web site is showing those prices but it is the English Languge one - go to the Thai language and you wil see the correct pricing for all 5 models. The top of the range being 1,419,000. Dealers are quoting 4 weeks delivery.

Begininng of July the Pre-Runner was 780k out the door. Don't know if that already had a discount applied or not.....

The price sheets as of now show the top end pre-runner double cab with ABS and fog lights is 749K out the door. By the way, what does pre-runner mean?

That's not out the door price. When I say out the door, that's taxes, registration and everything. As Crossy stated, a Pre-Runner is almost a Four-Runner (with the exception of the four wheel drive of course), although I don't think Toyota uses that term anymore. None the less, it's great for where I have to travel; I have never seen anything up in Nakhon Sawan that I could not get through just using two wheel drive--and the added ground clearance really pays off on rutted roads. If I grew up driving in the snow belt, a little muck won't stop me in Thailand.

That's not out the door price. When I say out the door, that's taxes, registration and everything. As Crossy stated, a Pre-Runner is almost a Four-Runner (with the exception of the four wheel drive of course), although I don't think Toyota uses that term anymore. None the less, it's great for where I have to travel; I have never seen anything up in Nakhon Sawan that I could not get through just using two wheel drive--and the added ground clearance really pays off on rutted roads. If I grew up driving in the snow belt, a little muck won't stop me in Thailand.

Yep, my neighbouir has a Pre Runner 2 wheel drive, he went down to his farm during the week during heavy rain and I had to go and pull him out with my Fortuner. My Fortuner pulled him out like nothing was attached to my car, so much torqe.

Years ago I rented a 2 wheel drive and got stuck in the mud 3 times in Isaan, after that I only went for 4WD, and guess what, I've never been stuck anywhere.

Yep, my neighbouir has a Pre Runner 2 wheel drive, he went down to his farm during the week during heavy rain and I had to go and pull him out with my Fortuner. My Fortuner pulled him out like nothing was attached to my car, so much torqe.

Yeah, the Toyota 3.0 L is quite nice, if a bit argricultural sounding. However, the Pre-Runner is quite nose heavy. Had your friend planned ahead, or done some quick thinking he would have added some weight to the bed area and I'd be willing to be that he would have quite easily gotten himself out of the problem. After all, it seems the majority of tractors in the world are 2 wheel drive and they don't seem to have an issue.

Years ago I rented a 2 wheel drive and got stuck in the mud 3 times in Isaan, after that I only went for 4WD, and guess what, I've never been stuck anywhere.

The funny thing is that I've only gotten stuck one time; unfortuantely that was when I had my 4x4 Blazer (the old removable top style). I was off-roading and turned into an area I was **not** familiar with and ended up in flooded 2 feet of water with a vegetation base (hey, I was 16 at the time). Needless to say I was boned. It took a farm tractor to pull me out of that. However, with age came experience and I learned that while four wheel drive is nice, it is more of a drag than necessary. The added weight, reduced economy, added complexity (more stuff can go wrong), etc. outweigh the occasional benefits in my mind. Not saying that nobody should have them, but if I learned anything it's that where I grew up it encourages people to rely on it rather than developing skills. And since the 'point of no return' (think :o ) is so much further along the serious problem scale than on a two wheel drive that when the vehicle finally surpasses its capabilities things go MUCH more wrong.

**edit**

Forgot that important negative word.

Edited by dave_boo

Nice post Dave, but I've never ever had a 2WD car pull my Fortuner out of the mud cos I'm stuck.

Well, we're both set in our ways so I'll allow you to be wrong. :o BTW, how do you like the Fortuner? Do you ever have any wishes that you had bought a truck instead? Only reason I'm asking is that we almost settled on a Fortuner but got this Pre-Runner instead. At times I wonder if it was the right choice. If it wasn't, than perhaps the next vehicle will be a Fortuner.

That's not out the door price. When I say out the door, that's taxes, registration and everything.

I am not trying to contradict, but my understanding from dealers is that price is out the door. The price sheets the dealers have are 10K higher than what the internet shows for most models (and the internet by the way specifies VAT is inclusive in the price). I asked dealer A if the prices include everything and specifically brought up tax and license and he said yes plus he will add a year of insurance and a number of extras at no cost. When I tried to pin him down on the total cost of ownership he says the only thing you have to pay for beyond the listed price over the first year is oil changes. Dealer B says she will discount 25000 off the list price. I intend to pay cash if that makes a difference. If I am in for a surprise, let me know.

Here is a pic of the 2009 hilux.

Other than the front grille, and the option to have GPS built-in (which you could get aftermarket anyway) what's actually changed?

For the Fortuner? Quite a few changes (some only on the top model):

Projector headlights - good as the current ones are awful.

17" wheels - not sure how this will affect off-roading.

Powered wing miror retraction.

Softer suspension - will be interesting to see how that feels in practice.

Proper roof-mounted aircon for rear seats rather than the daft one on the current model that only works if you put the sixth seat down.

Electric driver's seat.

New radio - DVD with SatNav on the top model.

Bluetooth hands-free system for phones.

Cruise Control.

Switchable VSC (Toyota's name for stability control), Traction control, and uprated ABS system.

2WD diesel version also available now.

Seems to have answered most of my criticisms of the current/old model, although I'd have liked to have seen more airbags than just two and an extra gear-ratio as well.

Still waiting for more details of the new Pajero Sport to come out to see how it stacks up.

Nice post Dave, but I've never ever had a 2WD car pull my Fortuner out of the mud cos I'm stuck.

Well, we're both set in our ways so I'll allow you to be wrong. :o BTW, how do you like the Fortuner? Do you ever have any wishes that you had bought a truck instead? Only reason I'm asking is that we almost settled on a Fortuner but got this Pre-Runner instead. At times I wonder if it was the right choice. If it wasn't, than perhaps the next vehicle will be a Fortuner.

Yeah Dave,

at first I was gonna buy a Vigo 4 door 4WD, I already had a Toyota Tiger 4WD 2 door and I was in Khon Kaen one day, went into the Toyota dealership and they had a Fortuner test driver.

Before I went 100 Metres I knew I wanted one, perhaps if they had never had that test driver in stock, I would have bought the pick up instead.

Plus I picked up the model I wanted the very next day, at that time the dealer in Pattaya was quoting a 6 month delivery wait and no test drives! In Khon Kaen they quoted 2 months for the colour I wanted (Silver), I said I would be working out of the country for a few months so don't bother, with that he went to see the Manager and then he took me round the back of the dealership and there were 2 Fortuners that had been delivered for waiting customers, one was the Silver Auto that I wanted, he asked me how I would pay, I told him Cash the next day, that was it, deal done.

I could well have ended up with the 4WD Pick up and I very much doubt I would have had any regrets.

• 5 months later...
In Toyota Khon Kaen 2 weeks ago, the salesman offered me a 2007 Fortuner "Smart" for 1.3m. The new models will be around 1.4m.

Sounds like the salesman was trying to do you over, the new fortuner prices are on toyota's website and they range from 1,036,000 to 1,256,000 baht

http://www.toyota.co.th/en/models/Fortuner...r2007_grade.asp

That is not correct pricing. Yes the web site is showing those prices but it is the English Languge one - go to the Thai language and you wil see the correct pricing for all 5 models. The top of the range being 1,419,000. Dealers are quoting 4 weeks delivery.

Quite correct, 1.4m for the top model with satnav and all the improvements. I bought mine about 18 months ago for 1,246,00 I think. The equivalent today, with mainly cosmetic changes, is 1,309,00 - up 63k.

By the way, I also got the 50k discount being mentioned, so I don't think that's a clearance offer. Is it on top of the one year free Toyota insurance?

Toyota might be amenable to dropping the price to clear old stock, but I wouldn't bet on the Thais doing it. It doesn't appear to be their way. Anyway, are there a lot of old models sitting around somewhere to clear. I get the impression not?