Is This A Great Investment

Just add water

Local man uses water to make gasoline go further

Pramote Channgam

A system to use water for powering vehicles is being pioneered in Pattaya, and is creating a lot of interest because of the rising price of gasoline.

n5-Water-use-as-part.jpg
Narong Chaiyakaen (left), owner of an aluminum shop on Sukhumvit Road, and Tanet Kruakhun (right), owner of Dang Car Service, are experimenting with using water as fuel in vehicles.

Although liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) and natural gas for vehicles (NGV) are increasingly being used to replace gasoline in vehicle engines, and are cheaper by at least half when compared to gasoline, they are also rising in price.

The search is now on for an even cheaper source of energy, and it might lie with the owner of a Pattaya aluminum shop.

Narong Chaiyakaen says that, due to the high price of gasoline, he has been working on an idea to use water along with gasoline or diesel to power vehicles, and has been working with researchers from Singapore and the Philippines to develop the concept, which he claims can save 30 percent on fuel.

There have, says Narong, been three vehicle prototypes tested successfully with this installation, and so far 80 people have placed orders for installing the system, which he says is an easy process taking only one day.

However, at present the company is still waiting for the official registration, and installations cannot yet be undertaken.

Using water as a co-fuel doesn’t cause any engine trouble with either benzene or diesel, and the motor still works normally, says Narong.

Narong, whose aluminum shop is located on Sukhumvit Road, is developing this system together with Tanet Kruakhun, owner Dang Car Service.

Anyone interested in this project can call 082 2089 626-8.

Maybe I can buy him out for 400 million baht. about 13 million USA. Ideas and Partners need if greater than 400 million baht

Aluminum and Water.

Placing clean (polished and not exposed to Oxygen) Aluminum into water briefly creates Hydrogen, but this comes to an abrupt end when the Aluminum reacts with the oxygen that is liberated to create an Aluminum oxide coating over the clean aluminum.

The standard way to get around this is, as many a schoolboy knows, to add caustic to the water - This prevents (or slows) the formation of the Aluminum oxide and hence enables the reaction between the Aluminum and the Water to continue liberating the Oxygen and Hydrogen.

A recent development is mixing small quantities of Gallium to Aluminum to make an Alloy.

The Gallium inhibits the forming of Aluminum oxide and hence the liberation of Hydrogen and Oxygen continues.

This latter process is, I believe, patented by a prof at UCLA.

Both methods have a particularly dangerous aspect.

The Liberation of O2 and H2 is in the ration of 2 H2 Molecule Atom for each O2 molecule - and they are mixed as a gas in this exact and extremely explosive ratio.

Producing Hydrogen from water is not so much the problem - doing it safely without creating in a process that need not be buried in a reinforced concrete bunker is quite something else.

So I'd hold on reaching for your wallet on this one.

And if you see one of these things passing by - pull over and let it get at least 200 meters in front of you.

Edited by GuestHouse

I'm a firm believer that it can be done with a diesel. Many years ago in a different life I maintained 6-71 GM diesels. Once in a while one of the engines would start to miss on a cylinder and sometimes one of the injectors had the tip missing. On rare occasions, there would be a hole blown in a piston. An old veteran diesel mechanic told me that the problem was caused by water in the fuel. To fix the problem required several different sediment bowls and filters with water catchers. He explained that a drop of water generates more energy than the fuel. The heat of high compression creates a violent burst of steam. Ever since then I wondered when some genius would come up with a way to use that strange phenomenon.

It's already done - well sort of.

One of the means by which NOx can be reduced in the exhaust of Industrial Gas Turbines is to mix water with the fuel (Up to around 20%)

An emulsifier mixes the fuel water which is then sprayed into the combustion chambers. The theory is that the water forms minute droplets which are coated by fuel (hence increasing the volume to area ratio of the fuel) this burns far more efficiently and reduces a process of 'fuel cracking' during the combustion. The result is a significant reduction in NOx emissions.

There are two downsides: Higher combustion (and hence metal) temperatures and the need for demineralized water to avoid scaling and balance problems.