Safetywing vs regular health insurance

david_je

Safetywing travel insurance appears to cover everything a regular health plan does -- worldwide (except home country), not just travel but also health issues, outpatient as well as inpatient, Covid cover, etc. Or am I missing something?

I'm thinking about getting it for several months, then perhaps switching to regular plan.

Usually travel insurance is more limited in scope than regular health insurance. The Safetywings travel product excludes treatment for cancer, for example. 

Travel medical is normally intended to provide cover for minor accidents and illnesses and to treat and stabilize people that encounter a severe accident or acute, major illness so that they can return to their home country for further treatment. It usually isn't a good substitute for proper health insurance. Part of your premium also goes to pay for things like trip cancellation and lost luggage in many cases.

I think Safetywings offer another product designed to cover people staying abroad for longer periods that covers cancer and perhaps other situations that a travel policy would exclude or limit.

Safetywings is an agent or broker and the actual insurance cover is provided by Tokio Marine Insurance. 

On 6/23/2021 at 8:12 AM, david_je said:

Safetywing travel insurance appears to cover everything a regular health plan does -- worldwide (except home country), not just travel but also health issues, outpatient as well as inpatient, Covid cover, etc. Or am I missing something?

You probably missed reading their list with things which aren't covered, these are quite a few: https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance/description-of-coverage.pdf

For example no cancer treatment, and they also don't pay for anything related to an accident with a vehicle.

Edited by jackdd