Racing In Chiang Mai

Greenside

Went to take some pictures at the racetrack today and was pretty shocked at the way they handled an accident during the second race. The horse broke it's leg unseating the rider who, despite a spectacular fall, didn't need the ambulance that attended. The horse which was very distressed was sedated and dragged from the track by a tractor and then left alone for at least an hour and a half during which time it struggled to it's remaining three feet (when I say broke it's leg, I mean literally) and just stood there in the heat. Anywhere else I've ever seen racing accidents, a horse in that kind of trouble is either put down immediately or at least gets some kind of treatment without delay. I thought Buddhism encouraged kindness to animals on the basis you might just return as one.

353340130_vk8Cd-L.jpg

The victim was the horse in the middle about half a second after this shot. More pictures here, although not the grisly ones.

The philosophy of people in this area (I don't know about other forms of Buddhism)

is not like the doctors oath of "Do no harm."

It's more like "Don't interfere with nature."

If a horse is meant to die then just let nature take it's course.

If a vicious dog bites a child... well there's nothing we could have done about it. It was just going to happen anyway.

If I drive my motorbike against traffic and dodge a pothole sending me into the path of a large truck, well, it's not like there was anything I could have done to affect the future. If I die I die.

In the west there is a different concept as to what constitutes "cruelty."

In fact, "cruelty" could be seen as killing the horse instantly and not allowing it the opportunity for everything to turn out ok.

I do appreciate that others view "cruelty" in completely different cultural ways.

I dislike the "Fatalism" which I would say is distinctly separate from Buddhism.

The philosophy of people in this area (I don't know about other forms of Buddhism)

is not like the doctors oath of "Do no harm."

It's more like "Don't interfere with nature."

If a horse is meant to die then just let nature take it's course.

If a vicious dog bites a child... well there's nothing we could have done about it. It was just going to happen anyway.

If I drive my motorbike against traffic and dodge a pothole sending me into the path of a large truck, well, it's not like there was anything I could have done to affect the future. If I die I die.

In the west there is a different concept as to what constitutes "cruelty."

In fact, "cruelty" could be seen as killing the horse instantly and not allowing it the opportunity for everything to turn out ok.

I do appreciate that others view "cruelty" in completely different cultural ways.

I dislike the "Fatalism" which I would say is distinctly separate from Buddhism.

Briefly but eloquently put.

Where is this track located and when do they typically have races? I see some horse activity on the way to Mae Rim, but don't know exactly where to look or where to go..

Mae Rim road, turn left where you see the sign to the Gun Club.

Actually BB, I was told that the sand conceals a dangerously uneven surface and that accidents on the bend into the home straight are frequent. The Jockey was pretty lucky that there wasn't a group of horses right behind him or he'd never of got up and walked away.

Edited by Greenside

"If I drive my motorbike against traffic and dodge a pothole sending me into the path of a large truck, well, it's not like there was anything I could have done to affect the future. If I die I die."

I thought buddhism stresses mindfullness as a way to avoid unpleasent things like getting squashed, indeed if you die you die, armoured songteaw roling along at 15ks is a much more enlightened mode of transport :o

Edited by sparrow

I've been to the track a couple of times a few years ago. The paramutual betting is a sham and the horses are treated abysmaly. I've seen jockies apply full breaking rein to horses that were leading but not supposed to win, and I saw a horse keel over dead on the "parade to post" when whatever it was injected with didn't seem to agree with it. It's a sham and one that tortures horses at that. I would urge TV members to not support it.

I've been to the track a couple of times a few years ago. The paramutual betting is a sham and the horses are treated abysmaly. I've seen jockies apply full breaking rein to horses that were leading but not supposed to win, and I saw a horse keel over dead on the "parade to post" when whatever it was injected with didn't seem to agree with it. It's a sham and one that tortures horses at that. I would urge TV members to not support it.

Thanks LRB.

I agree 100%; I won't go, ever, after reading the above.

A shame because I love to see horses run; used to go to the track with my grandad when I was a tyke. He raised Arabians (not race horses) that competed in Western Show competitions- he had a wall full of ribbons and trophies...I grew up around horses and rode most of my youth.

I love the animals too much, to see this kind of treatment.

Where is this track located and when do they typically have races? I see some horse activity on the way to Mae Rim, but don't know exactly where to look or where to go..

I agree with the posters above. How anyone could read the OP then ask, "when do they race?" and seems to be interested in going is beyond me.

Winnie tell me you wouldn't go............please.

Ok, I won't go. :o

I'd still like to visit some place else than that has horses. What can I say, my kid likes them. I know there's some of the very tired Lampang-pony variety around Wiang Khum Kham and the Oriental Tarry Taffy hotel, as well as the zoo, but they're small and tired old beasts, the equestrian equivalent to Loi Kroh road as it were.

Does anyone have better ideas?

I do not agree or disagree with anything said here (except for a fine brief statement of Buddhist belief). I do not find any reference to anything other than rumor or second-hand stories, perhaps true and perhaps not.

I have had some experience around both flat and harness tracks in my time, not here but elsewhere. While I never heard of anyone ever going to jail, there was a constant drum of chit chat around the tracks about "hay races," races that produce money winners for the benefit of a particular stable, usually in financial trouble. The term refers to dire financial straits when the maintenance of the stable is in jeopardy (even the price of hay is dear).

Anyone who goes to a race track in any case and bets anything but play money is a fool. The last appreciation I ever read on the percentages of coming out a winner at a horse rack track was 17.5:1! Those are long odds. Much better to shoot craps in Las Vegas. The odds are a lot better. Of course, you'll still lose, but, Hey!, think of all the fun!

• 4 months later...
Ok, I won't go. :o

I'd still like to visit some place else than that has horses. What can I say, my kid likes them. I know there's some of the very tired Lampang-pony variety around Wiang Khum Kham and the Oriental Tarry Taffy hotel, as well as the zoo, but they're small and tired old beasts, the equestrian equivalent to Loi Kroh road as it were.

Does anyone have better ideas?