Battery Life

sangfroid

How long do you fellow drivers find that a car battery lasts in Thailand? I have a Toyota Camry and rarely do I get more that 18 or 20 months out of a battery before it starts to get "weak" and needs replacing. I realise that Bangkok is hard on batteries, what with the heat and stop start traffic conditions etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My DMax is approaching it's 6th year and on it's 3rd battery. I did extend the life of them by disconnecting it prior to going away for more than say 2 weeks. The 1st battery only lasted a year but in them days the car was laying idle every 2nd month. I was working one month on and one off on an oil/gas facility in the Gulf of Thailand.

I don't think it makes much difference if your driving stop start traffic of out in the rice paddies.

Cannot really tell for Thailand since there i donot own a car there.

But having lived in the various tropical countries or countries with high temperatures my experience is that they last about 24 months. This is my own experience and also what I have seen `around` me.

Simple batteries/gel ones/ sealed batteries/expensive/inexpensive, I have never seen or heard about one who made it over 36 months.

Most of the cars parked outside and no roof/sunshade. Got a Mitsubishi pickup where i am now from new, factory battery lasted 22 months.

Thanks a lot for your input guys. Today I checked the date stamped on the battery in my car, it was fitted 22 months ago. My local battery shop guy checked it with his battery hydrometer etc this morning and declared it to be dying. 2 cells well down. New battery fitted, and the starter motor now sounds as if it's about to jump out of the engine bay .........until next time ......

I went back to regular batteries that you check/refill with some distilled water every month or so, after finding out that the more expensive 'no maintenance' batteries really don't last any longer and quite possibly shorter.

There's a nice little battery shop around the corner that checks and refills for free. Good service, went with their recommendation (price/value) and a Yuasa battery.

Battery life in Thailand (and similar climates) ranges from 18 to 24 months. The same battery in a colder climate will have a double lifespan of that. Simply because of the heat the deterioration goes faster. So it's really not a quality issue. Indeed, maintenance free batteries who come at a premium price between 30% and 50% extra seem to offer just that, 30% to 50% longer life.... One way to extend the battery life is to "trickle charge" the battery when the car is not in use but for daily used vehicles this is a bit impractical.

H

I am on my third battery in 6 years for my Toyota Tiger 4x4, my first two were maintenance free. I know there was a post on this a while back. I was advised by the battery shop here that it is better to have a refillable battery over a maintenance free and to check it regularly, partly due to evaporation from the heat. I checked this info on the internet and found many articles that supported this theory.

I am on my third battery in 6 years for my Toyota Tiger 4x4, my first two were maintenance free. I know there was a post on this a while back. I was advised by the battery shop here that it is better to have a refillable battery over a maintenance free and to check it regularly, partly due to evaporation from the heat. I checked this info on the internet and found many articles that supported this theory.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Car-Battery-...&hl=battery

Yes a tropical climate will shorten the life of a battery so will a cold climate but putting tap water instead of distilled water will also shorten the life. Also there are MANY more diesel vehicles in Thailand. Since your battery only does one thing.....start your car (unless you have a bad alternator) this is what causes the stress on your battery. If you have a diesel your engine compression is 2 to 3 times more than an benzine engine. Thus you need 2 to 3 times the cranking amps of a benzine engine and everytime you start your engine you are using 2 or 3 times more battery life than a benzine engine will (with the equal battery). I have seen the quality of some of the batteries in Thailand and they would last only 2 years no matter what the climate. If you have a diesel get a battery with the most cranking amps you can (the more plates in the battery the more amps). Vehicle batteries are usually rated in CCA, Cold Cranking Amps, as it is harder to start an engine in the cold since the oil is thicker so they rate a battery in CCAs. A diesel truck uses as much as 1800 CCAs in the cold and only 900 CCA at 80 degrees F. So if you have a diesel vehicle try to get a battery with a CCA rating around 900 amps, if you have a benzine engine at least 600 CCA. My battery in my Cefiro is rated at 650 CCA and it is still going strong after 3 years of use. As a mechanic once said, a job is easy if you have the right tools. Same with your vehicle, use the right parts.

Edited by Rdrokit

• 3 months later...

I cannot complain as I got 4 years out of my Hilux battery. It even died on me just as I was about to start it to drive into the the house garage after driving from the airport. It had been a bit slow starting for several days. I will get a new battery tomorrow. The question is, should I buy from my local Toyota dealer or are they a lot more expensive??? If its just a few hundred Baht more from Toyota, then its worth it for the convenience. The Toyota dealer is local, but if a lot more then I will go elsewhere. I dont like paying a lot more unless its necessary.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I live in Pattaya so if anyone knows of a good shop to buy batteries - the advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Edited by dsfbrit

the main issue, who often the car is in the garage ?

Many times, a damaged cabel from an accident repair is causing + going to -

but also a new radio with an uncareful installation can cause the same effect, and is bringing the battery to its end.

One way, to avoid it,

Batter3.gif

cut it off every time, the car is standing for more than 3 days.

Edited by DisainaM

Don't get caught without a jump wire. I bought a cheap one (200 Bahts) from hyper market and keep it together with my spare wheel. Very useful when your battery has become week and cannot start, or when you accidentally drain it like forgot to off the head lights.

Automatic gear car can no longer push start.

Replaced in my Fortuner after 2 years. There was some indication the battery was weak even though it still worked fine after that we replaced it. I don't want to wait until I get stuck somewhere to replace the battery, its not that expensive :o

I have a 2004 Nissan Frontier and it still has the original battery.

Gary A - Yes as we have discussed before I also own a 2004 Special Edition Nissan Frontier - mate be prepared, my batterrrrry died just this month, not a bad run though @ only 52000 kms I am hoping the newy sees me out to the 100000 mark.

PS. Was in Oz for 4 months so (the inactivity) may have hurried its demise look forward to seeing how long yours with regular running & maintenance lasts.

Still very happy with the non turbo 3.0 L Frontier no reason to update would be just tossing good money after ???

-had to change batteries for Honda Accord and Honda Jazz after approximately 2 years (Thailand).

-battery of wife's Thunderbird which she droves in Florida for 8½ years and which is now in Germany was replaced after 10 (TEN!) years.

-Porsche 928 (driven in Germany only): bought in 1979, sold in 1989 never changed battery. but battery was triple the size of the T-Bird battery.

-Calloway Corvette (driven in Germany only): bought in 1989, changed battery after ~5 years and sold 7 years later with second battery still ok.

I have a 2004 Nissan Frontier and it still has the original battery.

Gary A - Yes as we have discussed before I also own a 2004 Special Edition Nissan Frontier - mate be prepared, my batterrrrry died just this month, not a bad run though @ only 52000 kms I am hoping the newy sees me out to the 100000 mark.

PS. Was in Oz for 4 months so (the inactivity) may have hurried its demise look forward to seeing how long yours with regular running & maintenance lasts.

Still very happy with the non turbo 3.0 L Frontier no reason to update would be just tossing good money after ???

My 2004 Nissan Frontier and the original battery are still going strong. I STILL get 15 kilometers per liter of diesel, B5 or regular. I really think that trading for a new one would be a downgrade. :o If the battery dies tomorrow, I'll feel like I got my moneys worth.

• 2 years later...

Is Bquick usually more expensive than small shops ?

I had to change the battery in my just over 3 years old Mazda 3 2.0L a couple of weeks ago. My usual Mazda service center said they charge 3200 for a new battery and I'd be better off finding a local shop that would be much cheaper, and offer a 500b refund for the old battery too.

I went to B-Quik, and since I was down to needing a jumpstart to get going (usually only drive to go on holiday or visit future parents in law so I often go weeks without using it), I didn't have much choice when they said they would charge 3290 for a new battery (65 on whatever rating scale they use), and that's after the 500b discount for exchanging the old battery.

So either they ripped me off on the battery price, or they ripped me off on the battery rating. Either way, yes, B-Quik is probably more expensive, better if you can find a local shop.

I went back to regular batteries that you check/refill with some distilled water every month or so, after finding out that the more expensive 'no maintenance' batteries really don't last any longer and quite possibly shorter.

There's a nice little battery shop around the corner that checks and refills for free. Good service, went with their recommendation (price/value) and a Yuasa battery.

This is good and excellent advice. If you do not top up the distilled water above your battery cells - Once it reaches a vevel below the battery cells, your battery is as good as dead even if you have a charger.

Regular maintenance will enhance battery life. Including disconnecting if not in use for a period of time.

Regular charging with a charger will also help.

Good luck

I drive a Fortuner.

I change battery at two years.No matter if it still works fine.

I am using the special Toyota maintenance free batteries.

Never had trouble.

It depends on the type of car, the 'quality' of the battery, moreover how long the 'new' battery' has been sitting somewhere without getting filled or charged. When you buy a new battery they'll fill acid inside the cells. If the battery is there already for years, it won't last long. Please check for stickers telling you how old it could be.

If a battery is dying, most of the time, one cell broke down, you can check that with a voltmeter( less than 12 volt, around 10 volt, if one cell died) an acid lifter will tell you exactly if a cell is broken.

Some batteries last for five years, while some of them fukc off after two years, or even earlier. Another considerable fact is that a maintenance free battery doesn't not last as long as a good 'old' type, where you'll always have to check the amount of battery water.

Another problem for a battery is when it's not really tighten up, the battery clamps having a bad connection and so on. jap.gif