Should I Buy A Big(ger) Cc Bike/do I Really Need One?!?

submaniac

Hmmm....well long story short, my cousin bought an Yamaha FZR 400. My uncle, was not amused with his 19 year old son tooling around Bangkok on a fairly high powered sportbike, and has given orders that the bike must go and I am in the position to purchase for a very reasonable price (like around $1k USD). There is nothing wrong with the bike, and it is actually in pristine condition (original paint) and looks like it was really well cared for by its previous owners. Now I am debating whether I really should get it/need a larger cc bike. I already have two stroke, 150cc Yamaha TZM and Honda NSR for tooling around Bangkok, and I really don't need 3 bikes (for one person-so one of them will have to go). I really don't think I need a larger cc bike but everyone on this forum seems to be whining about how they want more cc's so maybe I should jump on the bandwagon. Realistically speaking, I do not plan on long distance touring in LOS, and 99% of my riding will be in BKK. I'm thinking a larger sized motorcycle may be more of a pain to manuever between cars, and I do not know if I really will need the extra power. But then again, it is always nice to have more power. Anyways, opinions anyone? Thanks.

Hi Merlin, you haven't heard the old saying "bigger is better"!

It's a good deal on a good model. And it's a 400 which means you can throw it around like a 250 but keep close to the guys on the 600's.

submaniac, just do it!

... Now I am debating whether I really should get it/need a larger cc bike.

look at it from a psychological perspective: you are already asking to completely different questions: whether you should GET it or whether you NEED it :o

I really don't think I need a larger cc bike...

No, you definitely don't NEED it...

...I'm thinking a larger sized motorcycle may be more of a pain to manuever between cars, and I do not know if I really will need the extra power. But then again, it is always nice to have more power. Anyways, opinions anyone? Thanks.

I think you know the answer already - or do you still want me to tell you that you WANT it?

Yes, it's simply nice to have the power you don't need. And chances are high that you will regret it if you don't buy it, since you say it's in a good condition and at a reasonable price. 400 cc is no issue manouvring through the cars; I have 998 cc and can catch up with all the scooters, and once I'm in pole at the traffic light... :D

Check however the cooling: the big bikes are not made for bangkok traffic, and i know some people getting their feet, legs, or more valuable parts of the body cooked.

Why don't you just give it a try; if you don't like it, you can sure sell it again.

Safe ride dude.

RusticCharm: Don't forget to keep some cash in reserve to pay for your gay-boy leather vest.

Can you post a picture of the gay boy vest you speak of. When I get my Harley I only want to be seen in a macho type vest!

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the input. Kerryd to get a softail deluxe like yours in Thailand I would have to sell all three bikes, a kidney, and perhaps my soul. I have a Harley in the states. I certainly wouldn't mind having one in LOS, but--yeah for over a million baht I would buy land. If I could figure out how to ship my bike here and avoid customs duties, I would do it.

As for the gay boy leather vest...puhlease! The buttless leather chaps are so much more manly.

Harleys start at one million baht. I'd rather have a condo.

Don't have to buy a factory new one!

Exactly. I bought a 2003 Anniversary edition Softail with only 14,000kms on it for 750k. Can find many bikes older/newer, fewer/more miles, different models, etc for under 1 mil.

Not the best for manouvering through Bangkok traffic (and parking) though (costs a fair bit more to fill up too) !

Exactly. I bought a 2003 Anniversary edition Softail with only 14,000kms on it for 750k. Can find many bikes older/newer, fewer/more miles, different models, etc for under 1 mil.

I also know (from your other posts) that you had been on your 'quest' for a wee bit of time, and it took you a while to find your particular bike, which I happen to think is gorgeous. If anyone can definatively figure out the rules for shipping a harley in bits and pieces, and the cost to obtain a plate once reassembled, I am shipping my bike!

Buy the the Condo, and a Honda Phantom, there best of both worlds :o

Don't need a Phantom. Thank's a lot. I've got 3 more cylinders & 200 cc's.

Mine only has 2 more cylinders but a whacking 2,100 cc's of raw power and more torque than you can shake a stick at. and could be yours !!!!! As the old saying goes " there's no replacement for displacement "

post-24982-1220068512_thumb.jpg

Buy the the Condo, and a Honda Phantom, there best of both worlds :o

Don't need a Phantom. Thank's a lot. I've got 3 more cylinders & 200 cc's.

Mine only has 2 more cylinders but a whacking 2,100 cc's of raw power and more torque than you can shake a stick at. and could be yours !!!!! As the old saying goes " there's no replacement for displacement "

I have to agree with you Dunc! Your bike is a beauty and having been on rides with you - seems to be as smooth as silk!

Any takers yet? Still looking here in Samui as well as in Bangkok for you...

(PS: We are meeting tonight at BBC - care to join us? 6:00pm)